PDA

View Full Version : Passengers like our airports: survey

Wirraway
23rd Dec 2004, 13:31
Fri "The Australian"

Passengers like our airports: survey
December 24, 2004

PASSENGERS rate Australia's international airport terminals highly, but the airlines are less enthusiastic, a new report shows.

The latest annual Australian Competition & Consumer Commission quality of service report on mainland capital city airports found passengers by and large ranked the facilities at very good to excellent.

Brisbane, Perth and Sydney airports were the top scorers, closely followed by Melbourne. Adelaide was ranked satisfactory to good.

"Adelaide airport's ratings were slightly lower than the other airports, but it is currently constructing new terminal facilities," ACCC commissioner John Martin said.

Brisbane was the top rated airport by airlines, at good, followed by Melbourne (satisfactory to good), then Sydney and Perth. Canberra and Darwin ranked as satisfactory.

The airlines marked down airports for lack of check-in availability, gates, ground services and management responsiveness, but ticked the boxes for runway availability and taxiways.

Passengers were less impressed with the availability of baggage trolleys and immigration waiting times than they were by baggage reclaim and check-in waiting times.

Mr Martin said that overall, Brisbane and Melbourne airports performed strongly across the range of quality of service indicators examined, while Sydney - the nation's busiest airport - achieved reasonable ratings.

While Brisbane was the star performer, by a nose, Australian Customs Services rated its facilities as the worst.

The ACS marked the airport down for crowding in inspection and baggage areas and said management's approach to its concerns was poor.

"The ACS noted that growing passenger numbers was leading to crowding in the customs inspection areas, and while facilities are rated as poor, the ACS acknowledged the airport operator is making some attempt to resolve the issues," the report says.

Sydney was ACS's favourite, with a "good" rating.

The report noted that the overall results for the years since the ACCC began monitoring airports were relatively stable, with no obvious trends.

The report on pricing and costs at Australia's major airports will be released in early 2005.

AAP

==========================================

Screw Jac
23rd Dec 2004, 20:23
My question is When were the passengers surveyed?

Of course at the end of a journey from Europe an airport would be a welcome relief from the spam can!

pullock
24th Dec 2004, 13:45
What a crock. Sydney airport is a filthy disgrace. Rubbish all over the place - by far the dirtiest international terminal I have ever seen.

The retail outlets are tripe and theres not even an ATM beyond securitar.

Sounds like a skewed sample to me - maybe the sample was taken from people who were employed by the airports!!

sinala1
24th Dec 2004, 19:06
The retail outlets are tripe and theres not even an ATM beyond securitar
I very recently flew out of YSSY international, and from memory I am certain there were some ATM's very close to the foreign currency exchange outlets? I may of course be wrong though - not the first time!
:ok:

Jerricho
24th Dec 2004, 20:25
by far the dirtiest international terminal I have ever seen.

Ever been to Terminal 3 at Heathrow? :yuk: That place is lower than low.

Akumas
9th Jan 2005, 08:23
Ever been to Terminal 3 at Heathrow? That place is lower than low.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Kaptin M
9th Jan 2005, 08:49
Brisbane (International's)..... facilities..the worst. Agreed!http://pprune.org/forums/images/icons//icon8.gif

Every time I have arrived and departed Brisbane International over the past 5 years, it has been an utter DISGRACE!
CIQ is grossly UNDER-staffed, and consequently processing in and outbound takes an inordinate amount of time.
Sure there are plenty of counters, but I don't recall EVER having seen more than about 1/4 of them staffed, consequently the queues of passengers are backed up, congesting the arrival or departures halls.
Inbound of a morning - when 5 or 6 747's/777's/767's ALL arrive within about 45 minutes - the time taken from joining the queue to escaping is between 11/2 - 2 HOURS.
What sort of a "Welcome to Australia" does that convey?

To make matters worse, the system of several exits have -for WHO knows WHY :mad: - been roped off to just TWO.
It's the most stupid bl00dy thing I think I have seen.
The previous system caused way LESS congestion.
Possibly staff shortages?
Whomever thought THAT one out needs his/her @ss kicked all the way across the Gateway!!

I have made mention of the lengthy delays and long queues to the staff at Brisbane on several occasions, and EVERY time they have agreed it is a DISGRACE, and have asked me to write a report on it.
So they're p!ssed off as well.

Likewise, Sydney involves loooong walks - a trip to Singapore to see how travellators are incorporated into their fantastic airport might give the no-hopers responsible for Australia's poor excuses, some ideas.

This "survey" sounds to me like a "feel good" bs publicity stunt, put together by the people responsible for creating the mess.