PDA

View Full Version : West Jet Recruitng

NGO
22nd Dec 2004, 11:09
thanks for the replies guys looks like a postive move to apply but would appreciate if anyone knows about the salary structure much appreciated

SAW
22nd Dec 2004, 14:13
Yes they are, www.westjet.com click on hiring center

eight iron special
22nd Dec 2004, 19:11
Min requirements, from the website

Industry Experience
· 4,000 hours total pilot time

Languages
· English - oral & written fluency.
· French - oral fluency an asset.

Essential Skills
· Current CAT1 Medical Certificate.
· Valid Airline Transport License.
· Valid instrument rating.
· Must be able to obtain Airport Restricted Area Access Clearance (security pass)
· Must hold current passport and obtain any additional travel visa/documentation at your own expense prior to trainingGeneral Skills Description
· Strong interpersonal skills and excellent communication skills with the capability of establishing respect and credibility through actions.
· High degree of motivation and commitment to work independently in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
· Ability to influence and get consensus by promoting teamwork and collaboration.
· Please note that if you have Second Officer time, only half of the SO hours are counted towards the total time.
· All applicants must possess Canadian ATR. ATRs from other countries are not considered.
Conditions of Employment:· Successful completion of training program (approximately 6 weeks)

Applicants must also be able to spy on competitors through various means including hacking into computers, counting passengers boarding at gate, and hiding behind trees.

Dockjock
22nd Dec 2004, 20:30
Can anyone post the planned hiring requirements for the next couple years?

Last I heard it was around 150/yr for the next couple years.

McDoo the Irish Navigator
22nd Dec 2004, 21:03
Dockjock;

You're numbers look about right. Our aircraft orders and options (if exercised) will bring WJ to 94 (96?) machines in the fleet by the end of 2008. All these A/C will require about 1000 pilots.
It is also an open secret that the company has no intention of stopping there. Plans are constantly bandied about for a 300 airplane fleet.

Fancy yourself a 787 skipper do you?

McDoo

meaw
23rd Dec 2004, 02:17
Mcdoo,

300 airplanes.................if anybody believes that they are crazy.
Latest load factors at WJ of 58 percent plus you have completely deviated from what made you successful....inexpensive airplanes,routes and airports.
Also
Now with the profits down and the profit sharing bound to dwindle employee morale will fall to.

If I was a betting man I say the best times are behind WJ

Dockjock
23rd Dec 2004, 16:26
Its called evolution meaw, it happens, its allowed, its common. Get used to it.

meaw
23rd Dec 2004, 17:34
DockJock

Evolution is when you have something new.
Going into LGA/Lax/YYZ/SFO and other super congeted /expensive aiports with expensive new aircraft is not evolution it is going towards what AC does,CP and C3 used to do.

I look forward to seeing if you guys still love your jobs so much when the profit sharing checks stop coming and you are just another number making average money.

lead zeppelin
23rd Dec 2004, 18:10
The attempt at humour at the bottom of Eight Iron's post is a low blow.

rotateandfly
23rd Dec 2004, 19:46
I laughed :}

-Dave

23rd Dec 2004, 21:53
Or is it Mary Christmas?

Whom I may or may not have had a drink with years ago in YQY.

Lighten up fellas, I thought the "behind the tree" thing war hilar.
I have to be careful here, I wear two hats, as most of you know, I moderate this forum and I work for WJ. Some of you may have even been part to me waxing philosophy over a pint of old Arthur Guiness' finest.

The thread has been hijacked, NGO asked about Westjets hiring plans, he did not ask anyones' opinion on WJ's future. Mr. Meaw, please feel free answer NGO's question or start another topic about Westjet's earnings, profit share etc.
If anyone questions my impartiality, I 'll remind him or her that I just closed a thread after what I considered quite enough Jetsgo bashing.

Opinions are like, well, you know what they are like, God gave everyone one. And everyone is free to express theirs here.(opinion that is). As always. references and sources are appreciated, in particular, reference to future happenings would fascinate us all. The ability to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt what WILL happen in the future certainly goes against the grain of mankinds' sum of accumulated knowledge. Most certainly 15 minutes of fame will be yours.

Merry Christmas all, kind regards to everyone who takes to the skies this Holiday Season. Fly safely.

McDoo

Dockjock
24th Dec 2004, 03:58
F/O
1. $40K salary, 20% stock purchase matching, profit share 2x/yr, stock options (not sure of scale for this).
2. $50K and as above
3. ?

Captain
1. $70K, plus same as above
2-cap. $5K/yr raise until cap at $110K

ODGUY
24th Dec 2004, 15:02
McDoo the Irish Navigator: 94 A/C = 1,000 pilots? WJ has 5 crew per plane?

24th Dec 2004, 17:15
I say approximately, because I don't have the numbers at my fingertips and they change every month anyway.
Right now, we have +/-55 airplanes and about 600 pilots.

I'm happy to stand corrected here, if anyone can provide more accurate #s than I . I'll see if I can find out later, but I have to wax my skis, roast a beef, call my mom etc.

Stay out of the drunk tank men.

McDoo

Slapshot
24th Dec 2004, 22:11
Merry Christmas 'Doo!!!

Formerly Steam Driven....

Sailboat
29th Dec 2004, 03:42
Just an update from the rumor mill. I've heard a bunch of times in the past two weeks WestJet is planning on parking a bunch of 200's without direct replacements being purchased. I think WestJet will still be hiring but this could be a slow down.

Another source was a friend who was just told he was hired, but they didn't know for when because "more 200's are probably being parked than originally thought".

Canadian Beech
29th Dec 2004, 11:01
that's interesting...I've heard the exact opposite. I heard 200 pilots will be needed in 2005 (which is the best year yet, since I've been watching them), and that the classes will grow to 12 or 13 in the process. Also that the -600s they are purchasing will replace the -200s mainly because of fuel burns. I also heard the new simulator will be here in the next 10 months.
It will be interesting to see what the out come will be:ok:

Saltaire
29th Dec 2004, 14:48
I can certainly see them wanting to get rid of the 200's ASAP. Q4 might be a tough one, with no fuel hedge and average load factors. Jetsgo seems to want to jump into their backyard as well. I'd be a buyer of the stock at $10. I can't stand Air Canada so I'm all for the continued success of WJ.

SAW
29th Dec 2004, 15:47
Canadian Beech,

I heard the same as you did in regards to the simulator. It is due to arrive in October. The hiring comittee person I was speaking with claimed that they are burning the midnight oil going through applications (160 +/- in 2005). Fingers crossed that things will continue to trundle along in a positive note. On the flip side I hope we don't grow to BIG for our boots. I had heard even the upgrades will increase some what with 12 in January. I guess we will just wait and see which story turns out to be true.

29chev
29th Dec 2004, 16:11
www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20041229/RWESTJET29/TPBusiness/Canadian

WestJet growth strategy under review

Older planes may be retired to cut costs

By BRENT JANG
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER
Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - Page B1

by
Brent Jang

WestJet Airlines Ltd. is considering putting the brakes on next year\'s expansion plans and switching its attention to cutting costs by retiring most or all its fleet of 15 older Boeing 737-200 aircraft.

The Calgary-based discount carrier will be taking delivery of 15 new Boeing 737s next year, and had originally planned to phase out three of its older planes in 2005. That strategy would have boosted its total fleet to 66 from the current 54 active aircraft.

But WestJet is now studying the possibility of retiring most or all of the 15 older airplanes in 2005, potentially accelerating plans to get rid of its most fuel-inefficient aircraft, chairman and chief executive officer Clive Beddoe said.

WestJet is mulling over scaling back its growth strategy and could aim for a modest expansion of its fleet with everything on the table for review, Mr. Beddoe said in a year-end interview.

He said it\'s better to plan for the long term and avoid being consumed by short-term results.

"That\'s a fallacy of the current investment environment -- it\'s always quarter to quarter, and I don\'t think that\'s the right thing to do," Mr. Beddoe said.

"If you just focus on the short term, then it would be pretty shallow and it wouldn\'t have much substance to it."

Indeed, 2005 could be a year in which WestJet, whose stock price plunged 40 per cent in 2004, finally takes a breather in expanding seat capacity.

"Unfortunately, we\'ve become victims of our own success," Mr. Beddoe said.

The airline has enjoyed rapid growth in capacity since it was founded in 1996. In November, its capacity grew to nearly 799 million available seat miles, up 31 per cent from the same month in 2003.

"There becomes an expectation that we simply can replicate the same thing over and over again -- every year, every quarter -- and that is not going to happen," Mr. Beddoe said. "The moons and the stars don\'t always align the way you would like them to, and certainly this year has been a horrible year from the point of view of the airline business."

WestJet was hampered in 2004 by high jet fuel prices, cutthroat competition and a bitter legal battle with Air Canada and Jetsgo Corp., which allege WestJet engaged in corporate espionage.

Even if WestJet reduces its growth plans for 2005, it would remain positioned to acquire six new planes in 2006, with options to buy another 10, Mr. Beddoe said.

The new Boeing 737 series -- 600s, 700s and 800s -- will be an estimated 30 per cent more fuel efficient than the older models, which have an average age of 26 years.

There would also be large savings in maintenance costs because a new plane costs $100 per flying hour to maintain, compared with $1,100 per flying hour for an older model, which requires more frequent inspections.

Mr. Beddoe said the 15 older planes, plus three spares, are still needed for at least the next several months because of a refurbishing program that takes newer aircraft out of service to install personal television screens on the backs of seats.

WestJet expects to have 39 of its newer aircraft fitted with the so-called LiveTV system by next April. Fourteen aircraft have been equipped so far with LiveTV in the conversion project that\'s one year behind schedule.

"You can\'t do these things without having some significant growing pains that come at you," Mr. Beddoe said.

In early 2005, WestJet plans to reduce its daily service in the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal corridor as it removes aircraft from its flight schedules to finish installing the TV screens.

WestJet executives will later assess the pros and cons of reintroducing flights, Mr. Beddoe said.

"We increase and decrease flights in and out of markets all the time, depending upon the season, the competition or demand. It\'s a constant process," he said.

WestJet has posted a profit for 31 consecutive quarters. But some analysts say that streak is in jeopardy of being snapped in the final quarter of 2004. In early December, the carrier blamed prolonged computer woes in its "revenue and yield management system" for depressing on-line bookings.

ACE Aviation Holdings Inc., the parent company created after Air Canada emerged from bankruptcy protection on Sept. 30, reduced seat capacity in a successful effort in 2004 to boost its load factor -- or the proportion of available seats filled.

Robert Milton, ACE\'s chairman and CEO, is forecasting a full-year profit for his airline in 2005, but Mr. Beddoe declined to make a prediction for WestJet.

While carefully avoiding naming Mr. Milton, Mr. Beddoe said that, since there are so many uncertainties in the airline sector, he doesn\'t lend much credence to such forecasting of profit.

"To make those sort of grandiose predictions is irresponsible, given how our industry is so dependent upon things that we simply cannot control," Mr. Beddoe said, citing how the war in Iraq and SARS outbreak sideswiped airlines in 2003.

As for lawsuits launched by Air Canada and Jetsgo alleging WestJet engaged in espionage and stole confidential data, he said investors ultimately will judge WestJet by how well it runs its business and not on publicity surrounding the lawsuits.

Mr. Beddoe declined to comment on the merits of the court cases, but he took the opportunity to express skepticism about Air Canada\'s revival.

"As we have evolved, Air Canada is trying desperately to replicate what we are, but they\'ve got a higher cost structure and cannot efficiently do it," he said.

Mr. Beddoe said WestJet\'s slump in stock price this year should be kept in perspective: Factoring in three stock splits, the company\'s initial public offering went out at a split-adjusted $2.96 a share in July, 1999. So today\'s stock price -- it closed Friday at $11.82 on the Toronto Stock Exchange -- is about four times higher than that level.

jumpy737
29th Dec 2004, 16:38
This would mean little to no hiring and very few upgrades for 2005....I think it's the right thing to do at the right time. Wait for the inevitible market change (ie. JetsGo) and go from there....

SAW
30th Dec 2004, 02:25
Well it sounds like this article puts the rumors to rest rather quickly. It will be interesting to see if this plan is put into effect and how soon. Anyone got any ideas to when the new 2005 deliveries start?

Rosbif
2nd Jan 2005, 20:49
Anyone want to make bets on when the first pilot a Westjet will say the word "Union"?:eek:

in limbo
2nd Jan 2005, 21:46
I was told by someone at work that some of them have been chatting with ALPA.
It is not the first time.

meaw
4th Jan 2005, 16:30
Saltaire,

As an AC pilot I would like to know why you can't stand Air Canada?
Are you against: --the highest wages in Canada
==the most days at home of any airline in Canada
==the most extensive route network
==the best benefits

I want to know the facts Saltaire.

Oh and lastly it is fine to not want to work for a certain company and that is your choice but just because you have a misconception about a company that you have never worked for is not a reason to bash it.

Dockjock
4th Jan 2005, 17:51
Well anyone have the updated hiring numbers for 2005 now? Guess its not 190 anymore. :{

Saltaire
5th Jan 2005, 04:41
Hello Kitty,

I used to work for AC, no misconception, and to be honest when I first arrived I was optimistic and open minded. After less than two years on the RJ fleet ( Fag Jet ), I was ready to shoot myself.

Fact: I made less than a first year WJ pilot, with the "flat" pay adjusted downward with the lowered adjustments. Flat pay is one of the biggest scams going, ACPA should have fought to decrease it to the end of probabtion, not two frigging years.

General attitude in the comapany is outrageous, with a sense of entitlement to ones job and service and hard work secondary. See certain check in staff, flight attendants and ground crew. I've never waited for more gates in my life due to lack of interest.

The equipment in certain departments is seriously outdated and needs replacing IE: ground equipment, flt ops computer system etc...

I could go on and on, but mostly I'm just disappointed I built it up to something special and thought I might have a long and rewarding career with high wages and a motivated employee base. Bad timing I guess......

The reality is that the working conditions at all major airlines are being adjusted downwards but would I go back to an EMB F/O making less than 50k and having to live in that urban wasteland called the big smoke? Doesn't look like it, so another opening for someone else.

Bitter, no, Sad, yes, because I was hoping for a quality life in Vancouver, and with current projections it would be 5-7 years and that would be for a 320 F/O.

I'm sure it might be a different experience for others but "I'm out Jerry! "

Ciao

Cyow
5th Jan 2005, 21:19
Solitaire.
You quit AC in less than two years? Didn't like the RJ. Didn't like the people etc. Sounds like a case of extra baggage to me. I hope you have more tolerance in the flt deck. In my opinion it's still the best job in the land. Not as good as things used to be but ACPA will fight to get some of it back. Who's gonna fight for you? Despite the changes I wouldn't whant to be anywhere else. Still the best earning potential, 80 hrs a month,
pension, diverse flying... I could go on and on, but.
Thanks for the seniority number.
Ciao.

Canadian Beech
5th Jan 2005, 23:47
Blah Blah Blah....Whine Whine Whine... Stick to the topic guys:rolleyes: .

R8TED THRUST
6th Jan 2005, 00:11
I think the hay day is over! Once again there is far too much capacity in Canada given our population.

Cyow
6th Jan 2005, 01:46
CDN beech
Sorry to destract your train of thoughts. The topic was derailed long ago. Don't be a hero mate.