View Full Version : Vietnam Airlines Captain Upgrade Chances

Miles Hi
21st Dec 2004, 14:19
Hi guys,

I've just been offered a contract in Vietnam on the A320. My question is...how easy (or difficult) is it to move to any of the bigger machines? I am hearing about the A330 - will CCQ be done? Also, is it possible to move to the 777 - I hear some 767 people have been moved up.

It's attractive if there is a chance to move to a bigger machine, something I can't do this century in my own company, it would appear.

Thanks in advance

Miles

(Edited to change title, make it more explanatory)

A-3TWENTY
21st Dec 2004, 15:44
How much are they paying there???

I don`t know anything about promotions..

seat 0A
21st Dec 2004, 16:03
I remember talking to an AF training captain who was training Vietnamese pilots on the A320`s, back when they first got them.
To say the least, he was less then impressed about their standard of operations. He was there for months longer then expected and by the time had only released 2 captains.
I would try to find out just as much as I could before moving there. How bad do you want your command?

SMOC
22nd Dec 2004, 01:33
Sorry off topic, but is there any bond?

SMOC

agr
22nd Dec 2004, 07:04
Vietnam pays Cpt 7500 USD all inclusive for a three year contract, F/o 5000 USD plus some travel nice thing. There's problems with licences since part of the aircraft are seyshell registered, so you have to go there first make medical and an exam to have the local licence.

alatnariver
22nd Dec 2004, 07:46
I am sure that there is no real chance to get an upgrade. Go ahead and ask the agency offering you the contract to put it in your contract, I think they wont do this.

Some pilots got a change from 767 to 777 but this was more or less something to keep the face of some highranking guys in the airline.

Remember, all the flying jobs for VN are contract jobs nothing more. Also keep in mind that this is Vietnam and the people are very proud and everything is organized acording to the liking of the party.

I would say there is no chance for an expat to get an upgrade.

Regarding the standards of flying within VN, I would agree with what was mentioned above, it's doubtfull.

I am glad that I could leave the place.

Miles Hi
22nd Dec 2004, 08:39
Thanks a lot. 0A, I'm a skipper already, with a three year LOA on offer. I'm looking forward to a change, but I heard that Vietnam were A) getting Airbus Widebodies, and B) That some guys had been promoted from 767 to 777.

I've asked the agency, they said what you say, Alatnariver, and they say it's at the discretion of the airline, not them, but that people have been upgraded in the past (767 to 777).

I just want to fly a bigger bus, left seat to left seat.

Smoc, not aware of any bond, I didn't get asked.

I'm kinda looking forward to it, but I'd be really really looking forward if I got the oppo to fly say a 330 or 777!

Cheers, Happy Xmas

Miles

A/T less
25th Dec 2004, 07:26
So what is it with the wide-bodies?