PDA

View Full Version : Kununurra Accomodation

Mr Garrison
21st Dec 2004, 12:17
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the accomodation scene is like in Kununurra around mid Feb time? I plan to get up there at around this time for the season and was wondering if anyone currently living there needed a flat mate or something like that around Feb next year.

Or if you know of any cheap accomodation, then this would be greatly appreciated. I know there is Kona Caravan Park but this is around $50 per night for a caravan.....pretty expensive over a weekly period. I'm trying to look for a Kununurra Classifieds or something like that but to no luck as yet.

Cheers

Mr.G :-)

Motor Plane Driver
21st Dec 2004, 14:45
Most of the new pilots in town stay in the backpackers until the pilot job is landed and then usually move into a house with other pilots.
They are as follows: Desert Inn Backpackers 08 91682702,
Kununurra Backpackers 08 91691998, Big Boab Budget International 08 91681411 and YHA of WA 08 91682702.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

aerocom
29th Dec 2004, 07:45
hey Mr G
While you are filling in the days, hang around the backpackers as people often come around looking for some one to help out work wise for the day. Always cash money and helps pay for the beer.

bog_rat
30th Dec 2004, 21:08
Good town!

Big mobs of young blokes looking for work.

If you looking for accom, i know of a converted cold room out the back of some drug dealers house. $100pw

I know of some blokes that fondly nick named the above Woomera..

Enjoy the shooting gallery with the big crazy clown sun.

Happy hunting ;)

tinpis
30th Dec 2004, 22:13
Ahhhh..... Kunnawuckinurra.
Big Jim still there runnin the newspaper?
Night fishin with the crocs under the spillway.
Camapesces was the only boozer in town them days long before Gullivers as well.
Someone found these bloody funny lookin rocks (Bungles)
Havent been back in 20 odd years I suspect as everthing progress has buggered the joint.

schnauzer
1st Jan 2005, 22:08
Median strip is always popular with the locals.

"Hey white boy! You wanna lub me? You wanna be my lubba?"

centurionII
2nd Jan 2005, 04:20
Whilst living in your caravan parks, backpacker joints or whatever, keep your eyes open on the big notice board in Coles. Thats where everything is advertised, including private house rentals. A lot of home owners paste their ads up on this board as the mob at the local real estate office are a useless bunch! I found my joint on the board last year, ended up being the best palace in Kununurra, with "all you can drink Home Piss" included in the cost of the rent each week too! Good luck! ;)

Super Cecil
2nd Jan 2005, 07:02
Hey Tinpis, was that when there was only a Flight Service, a 300 Hughes and a Pawnee or not that far back? That was when Craig Muir was just set up as an Engineer.

chew_ma_phat
4th Jan 2005, 20:06
Whilst Living in KNX beware of the local ankle grabber who believes he runs Capt Croc. He has been known to try and convert young vulnerable pilots into pillow bitting screemers.

tinpis
4th Jan 2005, 21:11
.................The olden days...............

Hey Tinpis, was that when there was only a Flight Service, a 300 Hughes and a Pawnee or not that far back? That was when Craig Muir was just set up as an Engineer.

SuperCecil

Thats right matey White Ant helos and Craig was working in the back of a hangar.
There was a small squadron of Shrikes/310s(um...TransWest?) there as well and a bunch of layabout pilots living in the boozer.:}

Chilli
5th Jan 2005, 00:26
bog_rat

Plenty of hours looking at that freaky clown while waiting for the phone to ring.

smokedapole
5th Jan 2005, 10:38
Word is that accomodation can be sort in the Alligator freight hangers Loft. If you are short of cash, old angle grabber the land lord will sort you out, he'll up you for the rent.

shnev
5th Jan 2005, 16:43
;) The backpackers is the only way to go when you first get into town. Trust me :E

drshmoo
5th Jan 2005, 22:45
When I was first got there many moons ago, I signed a lease with another mate for coolibah court units but in the second year I managed to get Konkaberry Units. Boys(and girls), these are gold and if you plan to stay for the long term, I highly recommend that you latch on to one of these apartments. It makes it all better at the end of a long day if you can come home to a nice apartment.
Caution
The real estate agency there are farken idiots. The only thing I liked about going in there was talking to the hot chick called ebony (white with stupid name). But these pricks hate pilots. For many years the pilots have been given a hard time both in trying to get a place and then taken to the cleaners in post lease cleaning inspections. I would advise you to get a job in town first eg at a bar and say that you are a waiter.
There is a lot of money in this town due to all the people absolutely creaming the rewards from the ord river irrigation project over many years and therefor there is an associated aristocracy. So generally you are perceived to be a second class citizen cause you have less money and because pilots turn up around this time like a plague. The majority of people are nice but a few of them have had their precious daughters flat on their backs too many times to young city slicker pilots. My warning here is that hold back, the I'm a pilot looking for work and it will take you a little further.

Accomodation- Coolibah Court units great, nice and short stagger home from the pub. Konkaberry units are the best by far and an even shorter stagger home from the pub

QSK?
8th Jan 2005, 03:27
tinpis, check ya PMs

tinpis
9th Jan 2005, 20:23
tinpis, check ya PMs

Ok now check yers :p

drshmoo
10th Jan 2005, 02:47
If you want to get some accommodation, speak to Neil or as he is known by the Kununurra locals as “Agro”. He is very approachable. Niel normally inhabits the Grass opposite the Kununurra Hotel, also known as Vegemite strip. With his connections he can sort you out with accommodation options in luxurious/affluent areas of Kununurra such as Warrangarry, Mirima or Lilly Creek.

Since Wayne departed SlingAir, Neil has taken over operations as recruitment manager. So for all you new pilots to Kununurra, please book an appointment with him and address all resumes to -

Neil Agro

C/Vegemite strip Messemate way

Hope this has been helpful
Shmoo
Stby for picture of Neil

centurionII
13th Jan 2005, 23:42
drshmoo...........Knob shiner!:ouch:

geeup
27th Jan 2005, 00:39
Hey drshmoo Neil missing in action. Word on da strip was dat bad egg cruisen to Warum for some lubben and that was 4 months ago:uhoh:

Aunt Mavis
27th Jan 2005, 13:24
Hello Dears

According to my nephew Basil's son Terrence, there is a nasty rumour circulating about some very "compromising" photographs of Mr Shmoo & Mr Geeup in all types of "positions" with Neil.

Can't imagine what Terrence is referring to but it all sounds decidedly unhealthy to me.

Each to their own I suppose dears....

All my love

Mav

whykillamoocow
27th Jan 2005, 20:57
Aunt Mavis I have heard some nasty stories around to. I have heard that a certain Alligator poll smoker has been sighted at the local watering hole with HIS new boyfriend. This Guy Is a joke

drshmoo
29th Jan 2005, 00:35
Dear Aunt Mavis

Bring on the photos champ

Im not scared, but seeing as though you hate photos, I'll post a few of you too. Perhaps an old colleagues son could provide some happy snaps of you too, minus himself cause he deserves anonymity as he is a good bloke as opposed to yourself being the worst conniving, backstabbing, lowlife, unproffessional scumbag the industrie has seen.
Looking forward to the photos

Shmoo

centurionII
29th Jan 2005, 11:11
Apologies to drshmoo,
the real Knob shiner has appeared in Monty Mavis! Bring on the photos and reveal him drshmoo.

Aunt Mavis
29th Jan 2005, 12:35
Oh Dear

I do appear to have caused somewhat of a kafuffle

Please forgive me my previous post was in jest. I didn’t foresee the evocation of such vitriol

I was referring to some good natured pics of “Neil” – nothing else & nothing sinister

I apologise first to Mr Garrison for unwittingly hijacking his thread. PM me if you want some info on accom in KNX

Secondly I apologise to the person who has been dragged into this through no fault of his own. Sorry mate the post was misinterpreted

Thirdly I apologise to Shmoo & Geeup – sorry blokes thought you’d know what I was referring to – was purely light hearted

All my love

Mav

Oh...................and sorry to Mr Garrison again I\'ve got no idea how the PM thing works so if I don\'t reply I know you\'ll understand.......

All my Love again.......

Mav

drshmoo
30th Jan 2005, 12:50
?

The Magpie
31st Jan 2005, 09:02
Haven't heard of him for ages. Is he still up there?

bjm367-80
1st Feb 2005, 02:26
drshmoo - poor boy, still confused as usual. have had nothing to do with pprune for months. i don’t have any pictures of you and i am sorry that you think I am out to get you. guilty conscious If you would like to apologise in person, please give me a call.

geeup - as we discussed - nothing to do with me.

drshmoo
1st Feb 2005, 08:42
bjm367-80

Rang the blue oyster bay and they said that you had gone on a tour with the christian brothers up through south east asia. They said that you just up and left, leaving half your "shirley temple", oh well good times, hope you find what you are looking for, call me when you get back. ASIO might be on to you though

;)

bjm367-80
1st Feb 2005, 23:24
Sean, is that the best you can do, very sad - heard all those jokes when you were here last. I am back, feel free to give me a call.

geeup
5th Feb 2005, 11:43
I'm still waiting 2 see the photos!!!!!!!!:*

low orbit
17th Feb 2005, 22:43
http://members.westnet.com.au/mrwolf/IMG_0146_1.jpg

woogy boogy!

drshmoo
18th Feb 2005, 04:33
Thanks low orbit
As previously mentioned since Waynos departure to greener pastures further south there has been a huge void to fill the position. I am pleased to anounce that it is official that slingair have a new chief pilot. It is a step forward in bridging the gap towards the high standards that have been attained down the road. For those who are lucky enough to have an interview with neil a few hints and tips.
#he likes wing dings - purchase from the BP on messemate way
#he likes beer - Emu Export or if you have a crownie to spare he can open it with his gums.
#he likes "just one smoke"

So all you slingair wannabees
Make all resumes out to

Neil Agro

C/Vegemite strip Messemate way

He does interviews by appointment only

Hope this has been helpful
Shmoo

ps - dont be put off by his apparrent disharmony with his fellow bretheren, they are just jealous of his stature and it is common tall poppy syndrom.

tipan13
18th Feb 2005, 05:05
Neil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMMMMMMMMMM OK

Good to see the big mans doing well.
I can safley say that the check and training at Slingair is about to recieve some big changes with the arrival of this talented individual.
After his breif "drying out" period has been compleated im sure Capt Neil Evens will do a fantastic job
There is even talk of the Slingair slug being fitted with a 7th seat for those afternoon oombie runs

:ok:

multime
19th Feb 2005, 06:23
Been a few years now but knx was and always be expensive.realestate ripoffs are comon place.caravan parks are only inerested in the tourists.if your looking for a job as well as accomodation Hotel knx has rooms for staff out the back.word of warning though- you might become your best customer!.they drink alittle bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.learns u very quickly about high caliber of clients you,ll br taking to exoctic places like- club Oombulgarri @ the oasis lodge kalumburu,perhaps even the yagga yagga hilton,? goto lov it!!!:ok:

Field plougher
21st Feb 2005, 12:33
Low Orbit

That photo is so gold... you don't know how much you made my day:ok:

It's good to see that the old hanger shirt went to a deserving recipient.

shnev
21st Feb 2005, 12:45
he drinks emu export?
working in a bottlo up in these regions (while I was waiting for flying work) i never saw one white fella buy emu export.
and low orbit - aiyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy mate! :\

drshmoo
21st Feb 2005, 13:04
Hey shnev

Sorry you dont understand, Neil is the gentlemen pictured above, he is a little on the coloured side.
Ah yes fieldplougher fond memories, I remember when Neil got the Slingair shirt. It went to a good cause

multime
22nd Feb 2005, 01:20
ahh yes the bottlo!the friday night boxing matchs!the glamour,the glory of it all.5 pallets of mossies a week,followed by
(i,ll ave alf a can of stubbies and a carton of mossie,and a smoke!!!:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: )
guess its an on going prob?
but you,ve goto laugh!!:{
you,d go mad otherwise. i just want to fly da plane:sad:
cheers MM

elemenohpee
23rd Feb 2005, 02:03
Well that pic of neil is truely golden. is the young fella still spinning of some classic neil diamond? were's the pic of him with the china mans hat. Someone give em a smok...

shnev
24th Feb 2005, 23:58
multime - i remember the boxing matches. sometimes our guests would grab chairs from the cafe over the road and start beating each other over the head with them! lucky they have hard heads.
we also kept a sledge hammer and a rather large (um, what can only be described as a 'beating stick'!) under the counter just incase things got hairy our way!
did you keep any 'beating' utensils under your counter :}

multime
28th Feb 2005, 18:27
yes my friend.
great times.
1-the ever present passifier/baseball bat
2-the ever present security button of hope?
3-the ever present hope of not spending my life here.
4-the ever present reality of join the toilet paper roll.
5-the ever present hope of a better life.
6-the ever present dreams,created by money hungry flight schools.
7-the ever present reality of not enough hours to get the job but u can,t get the job without experience?.
8-the ever present hope of eating this week.
9-the ever present reality of starving on slonggairs 220$ a week.
10-the ever present hope no more bungholes.
11-the ever present hope of no more vfr?.
12-the ever increasing anticipation for a Gullivers friday night.?
13-the never ending repetition of a bungle scenic sat/morn.
14-the ever present danger of gossip?.
15-the ever present native reallity.
16-the CHICS!!!!!!!
17-the morning after
18-gotta laugh.(cheaper than suacide)!!!!
CHEERS SHNEV. M
:ok: :ok: :sad:

Riva
3rd Mar 2005, 10:15
great times.
1-the ever present passifier/baseball bat
2-the ever present security button of hope?
3-the ever present hope of not spending my life here.
4-the ever present reality of join the toilet paper roll.
5-the ever present hope of a better life.
6-the ever present dreams,created by money hungry flight schools.
7-the ever present reality of not enough hours to get the job but u can,t get the job without experience?.
8-the ever present hope of eating this week.
9-the ever present reality of starving on slonggairs 220$ a week.
10-the ever present hope no more bungholes.
11-the ever present hope of no more vfr?.
12-the ever increasing anticipation for a Gullivers friday night.?
13-the never ending repetition of a bungle scenic sat/morn.
14-the ever present danger of gossip?.
15-the ever present native reallity.
16-the CHICS!!!!!!!
17-the morning after
18-gotta laugh.(cheaper than suacide)!!!!

We'd better keep that one quiet ...
'cept these days the difference is usually donated to the 'hotel anyway so starving is a still an ever present reality :ok:

Some of the others are right on the money though ... ;) (pun intended)

R

shnev
4th Mar 2005, 06:18
.... the ever present gentle aroma coming from the non-reflectable item in the back seat :ooh:

sonoface4bars
5th Mar 2005, 02:01
We got a new cp! Neil has taken long service to da long grass. So if your female need flying work send us your cv