PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Loses 5th Pod?

NSEU
21st Dec 2004, 07:24
A gentleman on one of the AVSIM forums claims that Qantas lost an entire 5th Pod engine a few years ago on the way to Singapore.

Is it true?

Thanks.
Rgds.
NSEU

Feather #3
21st Dec 2004, 07:40
Never !!!! At least on a jet!

You COULD argue that the crash of the last Lancastrian with a spare engine in the modified belly was a 5th pod loss [on the runway during takeoff; a/c destroyed.] BUT, that's drawing a very long bow!

G'day ;)

PS I can handle criticism, but abject bulls**t is beyond the pail.

lucky7
21st Dec 2004, 09:17
Not true mate..I work in Sin for Qf and not heard a thing. havagooday.......:ok:

Buster Hyman
21st Dec 2004, 10:21
NSEU If you'd said it was found on a golf course, you'd have more believers!;)

sport
21st Dec 2004, 13:10
Lucky 7 when does KT think he will be going, and is there going to be a come one come all party?

lucky7
21st Dec 2004, 19:09
Hi, KT is indeed a legend..in our field...truly the man has done his homework and still does today....what his secret is he is always 2 steps ahead of anyone. As for when he goes is probably entirely up to him but if he decides to go it will be a loss. I sincerely hope when he decides to retire everyone will be there as he has taught most of us there in engineering and also tech crews about the basics about getting the job done and not cutting into our drinking time..pardon the pun...now who am I?...cheers...and the RTS has been signed....:ok:

socks
23rd Dec 2004, 00:24
The only 5th pod I have heard about in the last few years was the one Cathy dropped on the runway when she was taking off a couple of weeks ago. It bounced off the end of the runway.

Orville
23rd Dec 2004, 08:08
The most memorable lost 5th pod was a PAN AM coming from Hawaii to Sydney. The pilot was questioned by the ground engineer on arrival and asked where his pod was?

His answer " It was there when I left, Hell, if I had of known it was gone I could have flown faster."

nzmarty
26th Dec 2004, 07:25
considering they are only held on by a cable and a couple of little bolts, it's no surprise they fall off...