PDA

View Full Version : Question About EASYJET

Student-PA28-161
20th Dec 2004, 21:29
this is a really simple question which im not sure of the answer and hope someone can help me.

Question:-

ARE EASYJET'S TICKET PRICES GETTING A BIT ON THE HIGH SIDE?

compared to RYANAIR I think easyjet are no longer a low cost airline.

(I understand about the airports each airline fly's too but the cost can't be that big)

can anyone shed some light on this

thanks in advance

EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B
20th Dec 2004, 23:18
Could it be because they now operate more than 1 type of aircraft - Boeing 737s and Airbus A320 - Higher crew training costs?

orangetree
21st Dec 2004, 00:16
Simply a matter of demand and supply. There are very cheap seats on every flight..but if the route's popular they won't be around for very long. Remember Easy also fly to mainly larger airports where demand is always going to be higher than some remote field in the land that time forgot. In any case, try getting a Ryanair flight to dublin at 2 days notice..its usually cheaper going with BA.

LTNman
21st Dec 2004, 06:29
Last year I compared prices on the London – Glasgow route a couple of days before the actual day I wanted to fly. It was more expensive to fly Ryanair to Preswick than easyjet, BA or BMI to Glasgow. It made nonsense of their claim to be a low cost airline.

TheOddOne
21st Dec 2004, 07:05
I think people have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, here.
The term 'low cost airline' refers to the airline's operating costs, wages, aircraft leases, handling agent contracts, landing & parking fees etc, NOT the price of the tickets!

In practice, of course, their aim is to pass a PART of the benefit of their low costs on to us, the customer, but they WILL charge as much as they think they can, whilst attracting more customers.

There's no doubt, though, that agressive cost cutting and pricing have resulted in massive growth for some operators along with a public perception that these flights are now 'cheap'.

My advice is to always wait until you get to the last page of the web site and check the actual cost of travel, then any on-costs such as surface travel both ends before making that final click.

As other posters have said, on the day, you might well be better off with one of the more traditional 'higher cost base' operators.

It's a classic case of 'caveat emptor', or 'let the buyer beware'.

Cheers,
The Odd One

egnxema
21st Dec 2004, 07:43
Wah wah wah wah wah!!

When will people get it? The whole concept of selling 20 seats at 0.01p, the next 20 at 4.99, the next 20 at 9.99 etc etc really is not that difficult to understand!

How many times will we have to read "Ryanair aren't low-cost because I saw a fare to Dublin for £100"

Wee Weasley Welshman
21st Dec 2004, 08:22
SIMPLY - look at the average ticket price. Divide total ticket revenue by total pax numbers and bingo - the average fare. The public reporting companies do this for you in their annual reports. EZY currently charge about £43 per pax.

The annecdotal evidence is wearing a little thin now after 10+ years....

Cheers

brabazon
21st Dec 2004, 09:41
From this link (provided by Beaucaire in a Ryanair thread) it seems that average fares are falling:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=156197&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

In trim
21st Dec 2004, 15:46
Average fares and yields are falling, as has been consistently reported in the past few trading statements. As the posts above have stated, fares will invariably be high if you leave it till the last minute, particularly on the popular routes / dates / times.

It has nothing to do with the mixed fleet (A319's, not A320's).....they are actually contributing to a lower cost base. Yes there are some transition costs for the likes of LGW which have converted to Airbus from Boeing but once in place the ongoing costs are not really a factor. Some of the A319 intro has also gone into new bases such as Berlin where there were Airbus-rated pilots available thus reducing cost when compared to a 737 base.

CaptainProp
21st Dec 2004, 15:50
Read an article recently where they compared prices on weekend flt's to 10 dest... Compared BA, EZY, Ryan, BMI.... EZY had best price on all but one route where Ryan was the cheaper alt. BA was extremly expensive on all, BMI was just a "few" pounds more expensive on some of them....

lightbluetouchpaper
21st Dec 2004, 16:28
look at the average ticket price.... The public reporting companies do this for you in their annual reports. EZY currently charge about £43 per pax.

OK but what's the median fare? Is this figure published as well because average fares can be effected by extremes, and make like for like comparisons more difficult.

Give away a relatively few fares for 0.01p and you can bring your average fare price down (and vice versa). Do this and the actual fare paid by most passengers is going to be higher than the average.

WindSheer
21st Dec 2004, 17:14
Have been trying to find flights to AGP in June.

FCA are by far the cheapest by some £100. Beating EZY, BMI BABY, THOMSON........!

I think you are right, both EZY and BABY are overpriced for what they offer!

Merry Christmas all:ok:

Runway 31
21st Dec 2004, 17:21
Had a look on various airline websites for flights using the first and last flights of the day between Glasgow and London on a day return and got the following all in prices:

BA
tomorrow £70.
12/01/05 £101:40 Heathrow £127:00 Gatwick

Ryanair
tomorrow £178:44
12/01/05 £25:14

BMI
tomorrow £193:40
12/01/05 £101:40

EasyJet
tomorrow £175:98
12/01/05 £35:98

As always this is only a guide but with each of the airlines if you were able to take earlier or later flights the price could be even lower.

There are also other things to be considered other than cost. i.e time of flights, airports used, choice of airline, so take your choice as it suits you. Its well known that if you are able to book a couple of weeks in advance you can get a very good deal but if you require a flight today or tomorrow or on a Friday or Monday you will pay a bit more as can be seen above. Different airlines use different yield management models with one charging more the fuller the flight gets and another charging less nearer the flight to fill seats etc.

You pay you take your choice based on what suits you.

CaptJ
21st Dec 2004, 17:48
Give away a relatively few fares for 0.01p and you can bring your average fare price down (and vice versa). Do this and the actual fare paid by most passengers is going to be higher than the average.

Omigod. :mad: What utter, utter, utter nonsense.
No clearer indication of the dire state of the mathematical abilities of the the average punter. I sincerely hope you are not a Pilot.

Cyrano
21st Dec 2004, 19:19
CaptJ:

Let's take a simple example. Let's assume 100 seats sold, with very simple capacity management, selling 1/4 of the seats at a headline-grabbing price:
25 seats at GBP0.01
...and then the remaining 3/4 of the seats at much higher prices:
30 seats at GBP60.00
25 seats at GBP80.00
20 seats at GBP100.00

Now, let's see:
Average fare: GBP58

Percentage of punters paying above average: 75%.

Lightbluetouchpaper said:

Hmm, OK, the above example seems to bear that out.

You said:
Omigod. What utter, utter, utter nonsense.
No clearer indication of the dire state of the mathematical abilities of the the average punter. I sincerely hope you are not a Pilot.

I tend to agree that there's an indication of dire mathematical abilities here, but I think those dire abilities belong to someone other than Lightbluetouchpaper... ;)

terrywilcox
21st Dec 2004, 20:15
Capt,I'm just an ex miner,but you should think before typing. Are you a pilot?

wiltshirebhoy
21st Dec 2004, 21:34
An example from early 2002.....

my Sister wants to fly Glasgow to Pisa that summer, checks out RYR from PIK. Extortionate price, over £200 return.

BA...GLA-LGW-Pisa £135 return, same dates.

Flight with BA from GLA-LGW delayed due to tech a/c, she got put up in the Meridian at LGW and 1st flight out Monday morning

O'Leary = rip-off.

dwlpl
22nd Dec 2004, 00:04
Then again, my family priced six seats in late July to Alicante from Liverpool and return; Britannia £310pp, My Travel £320pp and easyJet £177pp. Booked with EZY.

Wee Weasley Welshman
22nd Dec 2004, 08:24
EasyJet gets an average £38.06 fare from each passenger, and manages to wring an average £2.52 from them for other services.

This total £40.58, just 72p more than it managed a year earlier, has to cover all the costs.

EasyJet’s costs per available seat kilometre, the standard industry yardstick, were static at 4.17p.

You tell me how it can be done cheaper and how the margin can be squeezed further? In which case to the average customer on the average day he is buying the service at near cost price from a highly efficient seller.

If only t'were so in nearly any other sphere of transportation!

Cheers

brabazon
22nd Dec 2004, 08:48

Well stated, as ever, but comparing cost per ASK can be open misuse as you could argue that if easyJet increased the sector lengths their ASKs would go up and assuming that the extra distance didn't increase costs in proportion to distance then cost per ASK would come down. Alternatively get a few A320/321s and you'll find that your cost per ASK will be even better!

Fundamentally the key thing is reducing/controlling costs and managing revenues (either direct seat revenue or indirect drinks, commissions etc) where you can - that's how Ryanair manage to have the lowest cost per ASK.

FLYboh
22nd Dec 2004, 15:34
wiltshirebhoy,

Just checked the Ryanair website and you can fly from PIK to PSA for £121.64 return including all taxes on one of the busiest weekend of the summer.

Departing friday 29th July and returning sunday 31st.

Are you sure your sisters price is for just 1 passenger?

Oh and by the way, Just noticed that you said that this occurred in 2002. Well Ryanair don't start the PSA route until 1st March 2005. Explain that one.

You can't compare prices if your sister flew to stansted and connected to one of their flights. Stansted is a very busy airport and most flights depart pretty full. Hence high prices.

O'Leary = clever businessman

Runway 31
22nd Dec 2004, 17:47
It just goes to show that you can get a bargain from most airlines on most routes if you spend a little time looking.

When you compare prices now with 9-10 years ago we are getting a very good deal who ever you fly with.