PDA

View Full Version : 'UK flights targeted in terror plot'

Centrefix
20th Dec 2004, 15:44
This was the headline in the yesterday's Sunday Post, with a full front page article, have not seen any reference to this in any other newspaper.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has any knowledge of this apparent threat, certainly I have had no warning of anything untoward from the airline that I fly for, is it just another disgraceful way of selling newspapers or is there any credence to this? Are Alicante and Valencia now to be considered high risk airfields?

UK flights targeted in terror plot

By Adam Docherty

BRITISH security services have warned the Spanish authorities that Islamic terrorists may be planning to board UK-bound aircraft in order to carry out terror attacks.
The Spanish Home Office has confirmed it received a warning specifying that airports in the Valencia region have been targeted — and that terrorists plan to use stun guns to overpower crews.
It added that the suspects are North Americans of Arab origin who have been in terrorist training camps in the Middle and Far East.
Although the terrorists’ main objectives are not known, Spanish and British security chiefs realise that the UK is still a prime target because of the war in Iraq.
Valencia airport and nearby Alicante airport serve the Costa Blanca resorts of Benidorm and Alicante. They are popular destinations for Brits who fly out of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Manchester to get away from it all over the festive season.
Warning
The Spanish alert was also linked to information from the United States which gave warning that a group of 13 people who had been training in either Syria, the Arab Emirates or South Africa, were trying to gain entry to the US to carry out attacks.
Four of this group, aged between 18 and 24, were arrested at Amsterdam’s Schipol Airport carrying pistols, pepper sprays and other personal defence items.
Airport security staff have been told to watch out for two men, Yusuf Ferhan and Nurettin Ferhan who entered Europe via Holland.
Security services in Spain have upgraded their counter-terrorism measures following the warnings.
Tom Cain, of the English-language Costa Blanca News, said from his office in Benidorm, “Staff at airports have been put on full alert.
“Officials said terrorists were planning to take control of an aircraft bound for the UK.
“They wouldn’t specify what the terrorists intended to do, but I don’t think you have to use too much imagination.”
Shortage
The day after the alert was issued last week security officials at Alicante revealed they don’t have enough security staff to step up operations.
Mr Cain added, “A colleague arriving at Alicante airport on a flight from England last week couldn’t believe how lax security was. All he was met with when he came through the gates was other passengers.
“It doesn’t inspire confidence.”
The Home Office does not comment on sensitive security issues, and a spokeswoman for the British Airports Authority, which controls seven UK airports — Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Heathrow, Gatwick, Stanstead and Southampton — also declined to comment.

PENNINE BOY
20th Dec 2004, 15:49
Not Heard Anything about a scare.

Must admit security at most Spanish Airports including Madrid are very very poor.

unowho
20th Dec 2004, 15:54
Working here at Valencia airport I have seen no increased security in the last few weeks. All over summer we had security checks on the roads approaching the airport. Nothing since end of Aug.

There is always more security when the Royals or government arrive, as last Wed when the Prince and wife were here.

Rgds unowho

Sunfish
20th Dec 2004, 19:09
The trouble is that we have no way of knowing if this is just the security services stiring the pot or a real threat.

Since Blair, Bush and Co. have an interest in keeping us scared and therefore supportive of the "war on terror", and following the "WMD deployable in 45 minutes" statement, one has to ask is this real or a fake threat?

The trouble is that as with most security work, we can usually never know if there was a real threat that was deflected by our hardworking security services, or an imaginary threat dreamed up to justify bigger budgets.

LatviaCalling
20th Dec 2004, 19:18
This is a prime example of how not to write a news story. British officials "have learned" and Spanish officials "have confirmed." It doesn't even mention any sourcing whether on the record of off the record.

All the story quotes is this one guy who puts out an English-language paper -- probably a weekly -- with very detailed information about people arrested in Amsterdam who were probably going to New York.

As we all know, if you were a reporter and would call the Homeland Security flack, you'd be met with a flat no comment. I'm also pretty sure that the Dutch police, with all the Muslim problems going on trying to plug the dike, would respond the same. If so, quote the person.

The story may be true, but what upsets me most is that it is an essay and not a news story with the proper sources.

A and C
22nd Dec 2004, 07:07
Flying as pax out of a Spanish airport a week or so ago I was impressed by the security. If you think that Spanish security is lax then it is time for a re-think if this example has become the norm.

And No I won't say which airport it was and give the terrorists the heads up on the airport to avoid !.

Bigscotdaddy
22nd Dec 2004, 11:27
I would take any story reported in the Sunday Post with a pinch of salt.

It's a very small Scottish Sunday which does not have much in the way of resources to research it's own stories, and a bit of a history of making up a little fiction to fill the gaps!