PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair at GLA

WOWBOY
20th Dec 2004, 14:00
Few questions :

Has ryanair operated from GLA at any piont in time?
Do you think they will in the future?
i.e
GLA-DUB (NOT PULLING OUT OF PIK-WILL IT WORK)

Personally I would like to see them move from PIK to GLA!

firstchoice7e7
20th Dec 2004, 14:16
I can confirm that ryanair did regularly fly into Glasgow, IIRC it was round about late eighties/early 90's. They operated a BAC 1-11 aircraft though i cant recall what destination was served.

allanmack
20th Dec 2004, 14:30
Don't know if Ryanair have operated any scheduled flights to/from GLA but Ryanair aircraft have used GLA on the odd charter and the odd PIK diversion.

I believe they have invested too much in PIK (locally based crew + engineering base) to move to GLA and the deal they have with PIK could not be matched by GLA. If they did match PIK's deal then I'm sure EZY, BE, etc would demand similar!

EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B
20th Dec 2004, 15:09
They could add GLA-DUB flights with out any effect on operations at PIK.

Runway 31
20th Dec 2004, 17:27
What is it about PIK that you don't like WOWBOY?. The last thread you started you asked about Aer Arran moving from Prestwick.

GW76
20th Dec 2004, 17:41
FR most definitely operated GLA -DUB in the late 80's with 1-11 equipment. They were scheduled flights and not charters.

kpiko3
21st Dec 2004, 15:20
Well said runway 31!

It is an outrageous thing to even mention lol...RYR will NOT move from PIK to GLA.....after all Olearys put into PIK( hanger, call centres over 500 jobs me thinks...and the profit he makes flying into PIK), the way he thinks of BAA Glasgow.

And they wouldnt operate a twin DUB flight from Glasgow, a waiste of a flight and aircraft when it could be used on something better i.e DUB-GRO.

WOWBOY i`d love to see Emirates, US, AAL, COA and ACA moving to PIK...but thats the same as saying FR moving to GLA,it aint gonna happen.

About the GLA ryr flghts.....I have always thought that it was Knock they served out of GLA...Maybe wrong though.

Kpiko3

WOWBOY
21st Dec 2004, 15:30
It is that PIK is not really in Glasgow so I dont see it as a Glasgow Airport

kpiko3
21st Dec 2004, 16:12
So what,

Heathrow, Luton, Stansted and Gatwick are not in London....Prestwick is closer to Glasgow than most of them are to London.

Just because it is not in Glasgow is not a case for them to move...PIK has lower costs than GLA, quick and no hassle at check in. security etc. Thats why RYR will always use PIK.

Infact RYR hardly pay to fly into PIK. And they would switch to Glasgow to pay a sh*tload more?

Kpiko3

Runway 31
21st Dec 2004, 16:47
If you want to be correct about it Glasgow Airport is in Paisley.

EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B
21st Dec 2004, 16:54
***It is that PIK is not really in Glasgow so I dont see it as a Glasgow Airport***

Glasgow Intl airport just like Glasgow Pwick is not in Glasgow. PIK is only 30mins from Glasgow city centre, only 15mins more than GLA.

smith
21st Dec 2004, 18:06
Wowboy

Is Oslo Torpe in Oslo?
Is Frankfurt Hahn in Frankfurt?
Is Paris Beauvais in Paris?

The list is endless. This is one of FR's marketing policies using regional airports rather than the mainstream city airports.

If you notice, PIK has a lot of Scandy routes, I don't think GLA would be as popular with the Scandy's as they jump off the planes and straight onto the abundance of golf courses along the Ayrshire coast.

What is it they say about FR? ........ Fly Ryanair and see the world................. by train!

wiltshirebhoy
21st Dec 2004, 21:22
RYR operated 1-11s from Glasgow in 1987 and 88. I can't remember if they were scheduled flights or not.

They also had the old 748 visit as far back as 1986.

billyg
22nd Dec 2004, 08:16
Runway31 and kpiko3, PIK is a disgrace and everyone knows it including it's owners, who have publicly declared that. Sure RYR have a successful operation from there, but why proudly boast that they op from there cos they get it cheap when that is the main reason that PIK remains an airport stuck in a time-warp. PIK will never make big money from RYR, while O'Leary laughs all the way to the bank at PIKs expense. O'Leary has pik management by the short and curlies because he's all they've got, he calls the shots , and I'll tell you something else, if MOL could negotiate a deal with BAA to op into GLA instead of PIK he'd be off like a shot! :cool:

ftd83
22nd Dec 2004, 08:48
No way is Prestwick only 15 minutes further away from Glasgow than Glasgow Airport.

That's just not true.

Shed Rule:ok:

ATNotts
22nd Dec 2004, 10:33
Whilst we're at it:-

Is Newark Airport in NY (No, it's not even in the same State!)
Is NEMA in Nottingham (No, it's not in the same County!)
Is Arlanda in Stockholm (Hardly - about 80 km away I believe)
Is Bristol in Brisol (No - nearer Weston Super Mare I believe)
Is Cardiff in Cardiff (No, it's in a village called Rhoose)
Is Birmingham in Birmingham (No, it's in Solihull)
There's actually only one airport in London (LCY)!.

The point is, it doesn't matter where the airport is, it matters how accessible it is to the market it wants to serve.

ALLMCC
22nd Dec 2004, 11:01
Whilst we're at it

Is Belfast International in Belfast? - no it's not - it's 16 miles away!

There's only one airport in Belfast - BHD!

allanmack
22nd Dec 2004, 11:01
"No way is Prestwick only 15 minutes further away from Glasgow than Glasgow Airport.

That's just not true."

It's not far off. 15 minutes is pushing it a bit though. I travelled from PIK to Charing Cross recently (outside the rush hour) and did it in 35 minutes. This was also within the present restricted speed limits! (honestly).

I also have taken between 10 minutes and 45 minutes to get into Glasgow City Centre from GLA. It all depends on the time of day and traffic conditions.

The point is , is that GLA is definitely closer to Glasgow City Centre in terms of time and obviously distance but if conditions are right it could be only about a difference of 20odd minutes.

The main point should be is that Glasgow has two good airports - lets support them both! Most cities would cry out to be in Glasgow's situation.

MerchantVenturer
22nd Dec 2004, 11:15
AT Notts

Minor point I know but Bristol Airport is closer to Bristol than it is to Weston-super-Mare. It is about four miles from the city boundary and about eight from the city centre, whereas Weston is about twelve miles away. Many locals still think of and speak of it as 'Lulsgate'.

It is situated in the unitary authority of North Somerset and even Filton, although on the edge of the Greater Bristol urban sprawl, is actually in the unitary authority of South Gloucestershire.

About a dozen or so years ago when Bristol Airport was wholly owned by Bristol City Council (then a secondary authority within the county of Avon) the leaders of what was then Bath City Council (another secondary authority then) wanted to get involved and have the airport renamed Bristol and Bath Airport.

Sorry to have digressed and I take your general point.

I have never flown into PIK but I have used GLA several times and find the road public transport to the city centre pretty good. I have the feeling, possibly unfounded, that PIK to Glasgow city centre is more of a trek, although I believe there is a rail connection. However, that would not stop me flying into PIK if the flight was a convenient one.

kpiko3
22nd Dec 2004, 11:56
Well Billyg,

Was that why RYR was making massive boosts to the local economy, oh and recently I am correct in saying that PIK is getting a 3 million pound upgrade to the terminal? ahh yes thinkso.

If RYR would get a better deal at GLA they still wouldnt go, why, because there business plan suits PIK better......

cheaper prices,
No hassle within the terminal building,
Less congestion,
No delays,
They have a maintenance hanger at PIK....people seem to forget that.

All this talk about Oleary not making money at pik is aload of crap, Oleary has stated that PIK is one of the better airports he operates into, he has practically the whole terminal to his self!

If PIK is so bad and GLA is so much better then why BWIA at PIK?

kpiko3

Joe Curry
22nd Dec 2004, 12:28
If PIK is so bad and GLA is so much better then why BWIA at PIK?

I dropped-out of arguing with the GLA
brigade. :}

They saturate aviation forums
with GLA this and GLA that. It's getting
tedious reading the same chants over and
over again... :yuk:

We need a GLA-free forum!:mad:

GrahamK
22nd Dec 2004, 12:38
Here we go again :rolleyes: :hmm: :zzz:

I thought this thread was about Ryanair at GLA, not for shouting for anti GLA forums?

GoEDI
22nd Dec 2004, 12:53
oh and recently I am correct in saying that PIK is getting a 3 million pound upgrade to the terminal? ahh yes thinkso.

With all due respect, £3million is a pretty pitiful amount to give any airport, especially one in the same state as PIK, a decent makeover.

All this talk about Oleary not making money at pik is aload of crap, Oleary has stated that PIK is one of the better airports he operates into, he has practically the whole terminal to his self!

I think you'll find it's the other way round! PIK don't make money out of MOL!

BALIX
22nd Dec 2004, 13:17
Now now children, calm down. You lot put as much effort into your tribal airport loyalties as any football fan does to his team. Relax a bit. Last set of figures I had, GLA, EDI and PIK were all handling increasing numbers of passengers so it appears there is a place in the world for all three.

Anyway, back to the original legitamate, if somewhat smug enquiry. Yes, RYR did operate a scheduled DUB-GLA service back in the late eighties using the BAC 1-11. It didn't last very long, possibly less than a month. Why? Because nobody flew on it. I remember asking the pilot on one of the services what the load was like. He said there was ONE passenger on it. :ooh:

EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B
22nd Dec 2004, 13:26
***If PIK is so bad and GLA is so much better then why BWIA at PIK?***

If thats the case then why are BA, BMI, AA, CO, US, AC, OOM, EK, KL etc etc etc all at GLA? And why did GSM leave PIK? Oh yes because they partnerd up with a long haul airline who would offer connection in GLA but they refused to fly to PIK, that is why GSM left PIK.

allanmack
22nd Dec 2004, 13:41
Good grief. Our English friends must be laughing and shaking their heads in amazement about the Jocks wingeing amongst themselves about which airport is better than the other. Let's grow up!

The central belt in Scotland has three good airports within a 40 mile radius of Glasgow City Centre and here we Scots are - fighting amongst oursleves about which is best etc etc etc. Given that a fair proportion of Scots fly from the likes of Manchester to go on holiday (I did this year - £500 cheaper for a family of four!) shouldn't we be concentrating on growing the number of destinations from our airports in Scotland and fighting for lower fares as opposed to constantly bickering amongst ourselves?

Joe Curry
22nd Dec 2004, 14:46
Good grief. Our English friends must be laughing and shaking their heads in amazement about the Jocks wingeing amongst themselves about which airport is better than the other. Let's grow up!

Perhaps it would be fine if the 'spotters'
stopped uttering GLA this and GLA that.?

I notice there are only two Scottish airports mentioned in this thread, could it be the
GLA 'thing' that our English friends will be shaking their heads over.?:confused:

GrahamK
22nd Dec 2004, 14:56
I notice there are only two Scottish airports mentioned in this thread

Errr....isnt it obvious that the thread is about GLA, and PIK is classed as a Glasgow Airport so comparisons between the two are to be expected?

LBA
22nd Dec 2004, 15:07
Joe you really are pathetic sometimes, its about GLA and RYR operate out of PIK, so why are they going to talk about EDI?

Come on..

billyg
22nd Dec 2004, 16:01
Kpiko3, I never said that MOL desn't make money at PIK, he most certainly does. Joe, this is a weegie discussion! You've got enough on your plate at East-of-Scotland European Airport ( oops, sorry, forgot about the Edinburgh Government induced token Co service).

Joe Curry
22nd Dec 2004, 16:07
Joe you really are pathetic sometimes, its about GLA and RYR operate out of PIK, so why are they going to talk about EDI?

Who's talking/mentioning EDI? There was refence to Scottish airports 'whingeing'
but EDI should be left out given no one
has mentioned it.?

kpiko3
22nd Dec 2004, 16:19
OkOk Joe and others,

It`s getting out of hand now, the fact is that RYR wont go to GLA and I think its certain enough to say that!

EDI is nothing to do with this so can we stay on topic please.

Kpiko3

smith
23rd Dec 2004, 00:27
What about bmibaby shifting its Cardiff route to PIK. Must be a reason behind that?

Billy G

If MOL could negotiate a deal with LHR he\'d be off like a shot.

If he could negotiate a deal with Paris CDG he\'d dump Beauvais like a shot............ and so the story goes on.

Prestwickmake heaps of money from the spin offs from Ryanair, not from FR themselves. If 2.2million pass thru the airport annually and spend an average of £10 on car parking, food, fags, taxi\'s etc thats £20m in the bank. Che Ching!!!

£10 is just a guess it might even be more.

EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B
23rd Dec 2004, 01:09
***What about bmibaby shifting its Cardiff route to PIK. Must be a reason behind that?***

Lower costs at PIK that aloud them to make a profit on the route that when at GLA due to higher costs it wasnt making much of a profit.

Phil Dubai
23rd Dec 2004, 08:53
Smith, I can assure you that PIK does not make heaps of money from RYR. That is the reason that the owners are so disappointed with its recent performance.

Your reasoning on the LHR, CDG etc subject is also wide of the mark. These airports already cover destinations that RYR would be looking to operate to, at GLA almost all the existing PIK destinations would be new ones for GLA, hence he would corner the market there immediately!

Bigears
23rd Dec 2004, 08:59
BALIX,
I flew GLA-DUB-GLA in Aug '88 on a RYR 1-11 (GBNIH).
It was a staff ticket, so that suggests that the route operated for at least 3 or 4 months (allowing time for me to notice it, get ticket etc).
The return was memorable as on stand at DUB, the 'usual' announcement was made 'welcome on board RYR flight 853 to Glasgow...' as soon as those words were out, a guy got up from the rear of the aircraft and rushed up to the front (and exit) never to re-appear. Guess he was on the wrong flight :D
That particular flight was 80/90% full.

BALIX
23rd Dec 2004, 10:15
Bigears

Well done for getting on that service as it didn't last long. I guess the established Aer Lingus service was just TOO established in the pre-low cost days. The Lingus flights used 1-11 combis on occasions but were mainly run by 737s and Sheds before they got the 146s.

MarkD
23rd Dec 2004, 14:00
I seem to remember FR operating a 1-11 for EI when I was flying DUB-GLA, the return with a Loganair 146! This would be about 1990 I think. The difference in noise between the two was considerable, and I felt the 146 was very nippy on takeoff.

IIRC EI were going through a fleet replacement at the time and were short of aircraft for some routes.

Copenhagen
23rd Dec 2004, 14:42
***What about bmibaby shifting its Cardiff route to PIK. Must be a reason behind that?***

Lower costs at PIK that aloud them to make a profit on the route that when at GLA due to higher costs it wasnt making much of a profit.

PIK CWL was so popular and profitable for WW that the route is now operated on an ATR by Air Wales on behalf of Baby. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Voldermort
23rd Dec 2004, 15:52
As we have established RYR oerated 1-11`s GLA to DUB but amazingly none of you remember that SAS extended its CPH-GLA service on to DUB around the same time and advertised at the then "ridiculously low fare of £69 return".I am sure that there were three lunchtime departures FR/EI +SK and something had to give,it did FR pulled out and SAS dropped GLA in favour of a non-stop service to DUB even having the cheek to keep the same flight number.
As for FR operating out of GLA in the future well no-one here has a crystal ball,but I think as far as MOL is concerned PIK (Like it or not) serves Glasgow and thats good enough for him and the almost 2 million pax that use Ryanair at GPIA in the last year :ok:

BALIX
23rd Dec 2004, 16:17
Voldermort

I don't remember the Scandys operating a GLA-DUB fifth freedom route since I've been involved in the job since about 1982, though I'm not saying it never happened. Maybe it was before then :confused:

My experience with EI was a fam flight (ah, the good old days...) which involved the freight/pax 1-11 outbound and a 737 back. I also did EDI-DUB in a SH360 returning in (I think) a 737.

I recently did a FR PIK-SNN flight. This I found rather amusing, linking as it did two airports that never realised their potential but have recently been given a new lease of life. :p

Bigears
23rd Dec 2004, 16:43
Voldermort is quite correct- I'd forgotten until he/she mentioned it.
In fact, weren't there four airlines all operating GLA-DUB at the same time?
I'll stick my neck out and suggest that Icelandair did the route for a few months also. :eek:

Runway 31
23rd Dec 2004, 16:52
Phil,

You wrote - Smith, I can assure you that PIK does not make heaps of money from RYR. That is the reason that the owners are so disappointed with its recent performance.

What I think you will find the owners mean is that if they had more shops etc within the airport, the passengers would spend more money. It is the amount spent per passenger once they are in the airport that they want to improve on.

kpiko3
24th Dec 2004, 16:40
I think at the end of the day you will find that PIK will make a considerable amount of money out of RYR.

RYR must bring through about 3000+ pax a day through PIK, those pax dont just walk through the airport, they will spend money on car parks, Retail(WHSmith, Duty free, arcades, pubs and the food court).

The Ryanair hanger will generate money for the airport, for example fees for land, aircraft on the apron.EI-DCV 738 has been sitting for the past week now and the 8 732`s have been here for months, now that surely has cost them for the space they are using!

Did they not generate something like 90 million for the local economy, something like that. PIK surely has made something over the time with Ryanair.

Cheers,
kpiko3