PDA

View Full Version : Jobs at Aiports

sukru18
20th Dec 2004, 13:47
Currently i'm studying to be a pilot and in summer i'll be doing my PPL, which will enable me to start my ATPL.

I was told that i need some sort of experience at an airport or in an airline environment, since then i applied for various positions and they all have been rejected.

I have a very good record of employment with a 4 years management experience and a managemeent diploma by one of the main fast food chains and even applying for a customer services or aircraft cleaner job within an airline is rejected.

Can anyone tell me why this is and possibly suggest where i can find a job to enter the aviation indeustry.

Boeing Freighter
20th Dec 2004, 15:07
hello ,

>I was told that i need some sort of experience at an airport or in an airline environment<

to start your PPL or ATPL ?

i dont think that is true.

But many people start off as a Dispatcher / Ground Crew / Service agent for a airline / airline service company , so they have their name ( and a good record ) in the books once they get their ATPL / PPL .

Calum

vlad-the-inhaler
20th Dec 2004, 22:11
Reccomend that you find out who does what at your target airport, Servisair are usually a safe bet for a bit of work. Ask them if there are any ops/ despatch jobs going. Even baggage handling requires a depth of aviation knowledge. Try BAA website for the big airports (but I'd draw the line at working in Tie rack if I were you!) reed employment and Monster also occasionally have jobs of interest, also www.aviationjobsearch.co.uk is a good site. Remember, a little rejection never hurt anyone - so be pushy and get definite answers back from them as to what they are looking for. You may also want to think about hiding the fact that as soon as you get qualified and the right job comes along they wont see you for dust! Good luck:ok:

monkeyboy
21st Dec 2004, 09:33
Indeed, doing a stint as a dispatcher, baggage handler or ramp worker shows willing to future employers and will also give you an understanding of what is required to get an aircraft in and out on the turnaround, which will help you immensely when you finally make it to the flight deck.

Just because they don't fly the plane, it doesn't make them any less a part of the team.

witchdoctor
21st Dec 2004, 10:35
If you cant get a job as a dispatcher with Servisair, then take the hint and give up now while you still have money in your pocket and your sanity. :D

Easy job to get as they are always short of staff, and a fairly enjoyable job, though poorly paid. Good opportunity to make contacts in the industry which you wont get chucking bags or sat in an office, unless it is within an airline ops department. That's a much harder job to get.

pirata
23rd Dec 2004, 14:06
SUKRU:

My advice to you is:
Try and get a job with a handling company such as servisair ditectly in dispatch, learning the aspects of what it takes to get an airline operation up and running on a daily basis.(believe me you will learn a great deal) then when you have been there a while you can take a pile of CV's to work with you each day and when you give the crew a loadsheet prior to dispatch, give them a copy of your CV and you will soon get to know people such as chief pilots training captains etc, and hopefully your face will get known around the airport and you may strike it lucky one day! although there is no guarantee but it's a more direct approach to getting to know the right people!

thats what i did!!

good luck, and above all just don't give up!

Pirata

WindSheer
23rd Dec 2004, 14:17
I wouldn't say that a job in dispatch isnt the easiest of jobs to get, as these positions are usually filled by check-in agents wishing to progress - that is definately the case in smaller airports.

I would definately reccomend a job with an airline rather than a handling agent, even if its crew.

Servisair don't employ pilots. You will definately find it easier to get an interview with the airline you are working for if you have say, 5 years under your belt.

Good luck!:)

GoldenMonkey
23rd Dec 2004, 14:44
Pirata

I was intested to read you post regarding handing the crew a CV each time you give them the load sheet.

Extending that idea, I wondered whether, as a passenger, it would be beneficial to hand the crew my CV when travelling on holiday. Or would that simply be bad form??

sukru18 - don't mean to stomp on your thread :O

Thanks

GoldenMonkey

monkeyboy
24th Dec 2004, 08:40
Windsheer, who told you that Servisair don't emply pilots? I think you might find that they do, my good friend.

sukru18
25th Dec 2004, 00:58
thank you all who replied

i have sent my CV to few places via aviationjobsearch.com and hope in return i get something back.

do any of you have any clue on how to applying for a job within servisair?

i've checked their website and theres nothing suggesting on how and where to apply.

thanks again.

monkeyboy
25th Dec 2004, 10:46
sukru, when I did a stint at MAN I applied through a recuitment agency called Aviation Resource based at MAN. Give them a try and Good Luck!

mip
26th Dec 2004, 21:14
Not being rude, but your diploma working for Burger King etc will mean absolutely nothing!
What are you qualified to do? Eventually when you finish your training and try and get an airline job, you will be coming up against a lot of people who will have 10 O levels 4 A Levels, an Aernautical degree, all exceptional grades, professional examinations, 1000hrs etc etc. Now bearing in mind jobs are hard to come by, if you were head of recruitment for an airline, who would you employ, someone thats got a few stars working at MickyD's or someone who you know wil represent the Co in a Professional way. The Airline Industry is the same as any other, it wants to employ 'the best'.
I know a lot of people who have struggled like hell to get through their ATPL exams and more who have got through that cannot cut the grade, perhaps if they did their research before entering into training, they could have put there £30-60K to a more useful purpose!

EGAC_Ramper
26th Dec 2004, 21:29
Like said you certainly don't need experience of an aviation related job to get your fATPL.Though the results of having experience in the field AFTER completion may well prove very handy.
Myself been working at BHD for 3 years,gained many contacts from regional managers to pilots.Also again mentioned earlier gives an insight into airline/airport ops and a keen willingness for the field to which you want to go into.Aviance,Serivsair etc all spring to mind obviously depends which airport your nearest and the compnaies employed.
Whole reason I joined the Ramp Rat population!!:ok:

sukru18
28th Dec 2004, 00:30
hi friends

just wanted to reply to MIP....

thanks for the advice, but i think you missed my point here i'm not interested in getting a management job here at an airport, as i said in my first message im even willing to get a job as a cleaner just to gain some sort of experience at an aiport environment and i'm willing to give up my current job, which is at a much higher level.

the way you mention things is that all your trying to do is put me off, just to let you know that i have them O levels and A levels and a degree in Aviation management & operations on top of that i'll be doing masters after my fATPL. AND I WILL NOT GIVE UP UNTILL I GET WHAT I WANT.

......................and finally working for mcd's or BK does not mean your NOT going to represent a company in a proffesional way, in fact those ppl with fast food experience can cope with more preassure and stress and yes still deliver the results. it takes a lot courage and commitment to manage 70 people.

i dont want to argue with anyone here but i suggest you read and think before you get writing.

thanks.

once again thanks to everone else who replied......

witchdoctor
29th Dec 2004, 09:10
If you really want to work as a dispatcher for Servisair, it doesn't take the cunning of a fox to either call your local airport switchboard and ask for Servisair Admin, or to call Servisair Head Office and ask them for the number instead. You won't find the company advertising these jobs on their website as that would end up as a full-time job, and they have no real difficulty in filling the positions anyway. It's not really the kind of company that has a complex recruiting process.

"Hi, is that Servisair?"

"Yes, Are you looking for a job?"

"Yes"

"When can you start".

Ah, Servisair, don't you just love 'em. Always plenty of work around if you're prepared to look.

Presumably the numpty who said they don't employ pilots meant that in the sense that Servisair don't fly aeroplanes so don't need pilots, rather than not employing anyone with the qualification. Maybe. :rolleyes:

flyingfletch
29th Dec 2004, 11:30
Would definatly advise working on the ground but make sure you work for an Airline and not a handling agent, I have been working for a low cost airline for 10months now met a lot of different contacts from other companies and got to know the ins and outs of my particular airline,,,,,,,just when I thought it was going no where I got 2 Interviews passed both passed sims and now signed contract and starting type rating in the new year.

By the way I was sat on check in and boarding flights for 10months difficult to get straight to dispatching !

Good Luck

FF:ok:

wbryce
30th Dec 2004, 15:35
out of curiousity, where does servisair advertise for dispatch positions?

I tried searching through there website but couldn't find any information on vacancies/jobs etc.