PDA

View Full Version : Interview Question - How would you save money

wobblyprop
20th Dec 2004, 12:54
Hi,

I'm sure i've seen some anwsers to:

"How could you save the company money"

but the search isn't being very helpful. Does anyone have any bright ideas for possible answers to this question?

I'd thought:

Make sure I turn up for duty on time
Try and obtain the optimum flight level
stay high for as long as possible before TOD

or have i mis-heard the question.

Thanks

Wobbers

redsnail
20th Dec 2004, 13:33
Carry flight plan fuel only. (CAVOK day, multiple runway destination etc)

Tanker fuel where it's cost effective to do so.

Ask for track shortening etc. Although you'll usually get given it if it's available.

Derate the take off in accordance with the SOPs.

Minimise brake usage.

ukwannabe
20th Dec 2004, 18:54
1.I agree about shortcuts, but it's always best to ask for them; and not assume that you'll be given them as a matter of course.
2.Keeping the aircraft clean for as long as is practicle prior to landing, that's a real cost cutter.
3.Keeping an eye on the amount of potable water carried, especially on long haul flights. This weight multiplied by fleet size and hours flown can really have an impact on economy.
4.Ensuring that all the flying control surfaces are in trim, and that you're on the correct side of the drag curve with respect to pitch attitude, aircraft mach number, and power setting.
I'm sure that there's lots more, but it's time for my tea now!

Devils Advocate
21st Dec 2004, 05:40
How about – “Make me the MD so that I can.... : Pay the front-line staff as little as possible whilst eroding their T&C's as much as possible.
Ensure that staff pay is never ever raised in line with inflation.
Work the aircrew & engineers to the absolute max of the relevant FTL scheme, i.e. treat the FTL as a target, not a guideline.
Install a regime that expects the office staff to always do at least 50% extra, though I definitely would not pay them for it - but I would constantly remind them how lucky they are to even have a job with the company and what a great place it is to work; I can do this through staff surveys and the like ( though I’ll fudge the answers if I don’t like their responses, ‘divide and rule’ and all that ).
For no other reason than 'pour encourager les autres', occasionally dish out a few sackings.
Find ways to get the staff to pay for anything & everything they need to do their job from out of their own pocket.
Outsource everything with competitive tenders coupled to outrageously punitive service levels agreements.
Incentivise my key executives to keep dishing out daily beatings & recitations upon morale, e.g. maybe through use of those timeless corporate mantras such as.... "Sorry, you’ve mistaken me for somebody who gives sh1t about what you think or feel”, and "If you don’t like it then yee can **** off !“, and "Back to work you scurvy swabs !”, and "Beatings will continue until morale improves !”.So, have I got the job ?!” :E

wobblyprop
21st Dec 2004, 10:24
Devils,

Very good!

I'm not going for ryan air though.

Gin Slinger
21st Dec 2004, 10:50
Answer your phone when crewing ring you up at 4am.....

wobblyprop
21st Dec 2004, 13:39
Thanks all. Food for thought

sparks-flying
22nd Dec 2004, 15:10
Has anyone mentioned keeping passengers happy yet? Doing your upmost best to make sure they fly with xxxair again may make some financial difference!

Avoid half-hearted and boring announcements.

The Greaser
22nd Dec 2004, 15:55
How about keeping the crew happy so that they keep the customers happy. Thats a novel thought isn't it.

haughtney1
22nd Dec 2004, 18:35
ok my 10p's worth.....

1. Offer to institute a sweeping change of management policy...firstly remove all middle management concerned with policy.

2. Pay aircrew with magic beans....(or has that been tried before?)...failing that..get the new aircrew to pay you for their jobs....(there's got be something in this!)

3. Offer a comprehensive low cost/low risk pre-screening of potential pilot candidates....then eliminate those that dont reach the required standard..i.e. those that cant afford the cost of a type-rating.

4. Remove window shades.

5. Use gunfire to "incentivise" passengers to disemark more quickly..conversly cattle prodders to embark the punters, cost savings in the form of shorter turnarounds-higher utilization.

6. Charge those who call the "customer care" centre...say at £2.00 per minute..or part minute thereof..subject to the usual terms and conditions..i.e. you pay...we collect.

7. Promise the fuel company.."the cheque is in the post".........

8. Fly to obscure locations...

9. Employee cheap labour for cabin crew.....i.e. those that dont speak english.....that well.

10. Promise the world....deliver a crammed seat pitch....unclean a/c......slippery external stairs....and check-in staff..fresh out of prison.

There we are 10 cost saving ideas to warm the cockles of any shareholders heart!.......customer service? pish..who needs customers???

:E

Chriscowley04
22nd Dec 2004, 19:23
haughtney1,

you sound almost pessimistic with that post, surely no airline would treat their employees and passengers that way :ugh: !

Cheers.

schooner
22nd Dec 2004, 19:27
Right, now I`m confused.
I just posted that message above by "Chriscowley04" off my computer at home........I`m not him:confused: !

haughtney1
22nd Dec 2004, 19:29
Schooner..im just removing the tounge from my cheek:p ...and no no pessimissm here...pikey air do most of what Ive described anyway....im just a copycat...:ok:

except the gunfire..and cattle prodders.......I think they frown at that kind of thing...:p

schooner
22nd Dec 2004, 19:42
Aaaah, you say that now but......:)

Cheers.

Airbus Girl
23rd Dec 2004, 17:10
I've had this question and a concise answer sufficed.
I just said that I would operate to SOPs, keep up to date with all current operating procedures and policy and "go the extra mile" when required.

Tinstaafl
24th Dec 2004, 04:55
Decline the crew meal...

sparks-flying
24th Dec 2004, 10:52
pay for type rating and fly for free

Mister Geezer
24th Dec 2004, 15:59
Sack all the beancounters!