PDA

View Full Version : Windshields cracking very often

AfricanSkies
20th Dec 2004, 09:58
We have experienced 7 cracked windscreens on our F28 fleet in about a year, only 7 aircraft in the fleet. The problem is most often a loss of heating due to arcing or shorting, then the window goes very shortly thereafter. What could be the problem, has anyone experienced same?

What is the average rate at which an airliner goes through windscreens?:confused:

Wodrick
20th Dec 2004, 21:59
The company I work for operates a mixed Boeing & Airbus fleet, and picking one type as an example we have just changed our second screen on a fleet of eight A330s in the last five years. The other fleets show similar rates. While your mode of failure is not unknown it is rare, it is more usual to change a screen for heating failure or double sensor failure than anything else.
I would be starting to look to my supplier, and perhaps trying an alternative source.

AfricanSkies
21st Dec 2004, 18:23
Thanks for that, good idea. Interesting to see how other fleets are maintaining.

AS

1Consultant
23rd Dec 2004, 15:36
Contact your vendor to inquire about the problem. Ask about any similar reliability issues from other operators. Switching vendors is a last resort. It's likely that they'll assign an engineer to assist in troubleshooting the problem. If they don't offer this service, then it's time to replace the vendor. A good vendor will value your business and offer help and a partial credit. I would begin with a batch test on the resitors and diodes they've bulk purchased to overhaul the controllers. I'd also look to see if the affected serial numbers were repaired by the same bench technician (procedure error). Since we seem to be talking about multiple airframes, the problem is likely to be internal to the controller or associated boxes. That is assuming that your fleet has not recently been subject to modifications that might introduce the systems error. Without the ability to review your system diagrams...I'm also suspecting an external high power amplifier for potential problems. The glass is the lowest probability. Good luck.

Balloothebear
4th Jan 2005, 08:48
Thanks for the input 1Consultant, unfortunatley with an ageing fleet of F28 aircraft,spares come at a premium, and the vendor has a monopoly.
Our Engineering manager has been in touch with the vendor and its pretty much up to us to keep paying for their dwindling stocks, and not for their jurrasic R and D.
We will investigate your suggestions, hopefully with some positive results.
Any other F28 operators willing to comment?:confused: