PDA

View Full Version : ATC Callsign use

*Lancer*
20th Dec 2004, 00:14
It seems that Pacific Blue use the callsign "Bluebird". ATC in Sydney not long ago issued us with instructions reference to the "Bluebird". Considering none of us had any background knowledge of Pacific Blue's callsign, and that the aircraft is bright red... why was the callsign used as a prompt for visual identification? Is that the norm?

Bidgee
20th Dec 2004, 01:33
Maybe it's the same as the old Aussie standard where anybody with red hair gets nicknamed blue, and blue heelers get named red.

Makes sense to me.

grrowler
20th Dec 2004, 03:41
Not trying to be smart here but if you were unsure which aircraft ATC was referring to, wouldn't you ask for clarification?

Virgin Blue's aircraft are also red...

*Lancer*
20th Dec 2004, 04:05
grrowler, yes we did seek clarification. My point is that "Bluebird" could have meant anything... Aussie standard or not, it doesn't seem reasonable to use a callsign for visual ID.

duknweev
20th Dec 2004, 07:06
http://www.mynottinghill.co.uk/pics/carnival/bigsun/bluebird.jpg
"Traffic sighted"
grrowler is right, if you're unsure then ask for clarification

swh
20th Dec 2004, 07:20
Lancer,

Some airlines are easy to work out...Qantas, Cathay, Singapore, American, United, Virgin etc...not many of them reflect the colour of the aircraft.

Ones that you need background on would be the likes of Speedbird, Dynasty, Bluebird...dont seem to be a big deal to me.

Besides..you could get some points up with your capt by educating him/her...

:ok:

MrApproach
22nd Dec 2004, 08:40
ATC are supposed to tell you the type of aircraft you are looking for, if possible they might add the colour but that is fraught with danger. Bluebird aircraft (Pacific Blue) are identical to Virgin aircraft - red with white tails, only the name is different and Virgin still fly a lot of Pacific Blue a/c on domestic routes.

Airlines are supposed to advise ATC if they are operating in non-standard livery. Problem, 1. mainly they don't; 2. the information is hidden in field 18 of the plan and might not make it onto the controllers screen.

Cross hiring is not commonplace in Australia although for a long time Virgin were flying the old CZA with a white body and red tail, looked like QANTAS, and Freedom use a lot of ANZ 737's. Alliance has one aircraft painted with Alliance airlines colours on one side (Blue/White Tail) and Norfolk airlines (Green/White tail) on the other !

Hempy
22nd Dec 2004, 12:10
http://www.mynottinghill.co.uk/pics/carnival/bigsun/bluebird.jpg
"Traffic sighted"

Traffic in your 11 o'clock is a butch scrubber, intentions unknown :bored:

edit: appologies to any butch scrubbers I may have offended with the butch scrubber remark