PDA

View Full Version : Basically they are like big bombs and the rotors are pretty dangerous!

Cyclic Hotline
19th Dec 2004, 19:45
Interesting perspective!

Helicopter Training

POSTED: 10:08 p.m. MST December 18, 2004

December 18, 2004 -- One hundred search and rescue volunteers gathered at Burn Lake in Las Cruces Saturday for yearly training.

The men and women learn to move patients, tie knots and check equipment.

But many of the volunteers say the most important training is with their partners in the sky .. helicopters.

"Basically they are like big bombs and the rotors are pretty dangerous so we are learning how to operate around the helicopter," said Dara Parker, one of the volunteers.

Because of the dangers of setting up a landing zone for helicopter pilots and moving in and around the aircraft, safety training is needed for the volunteers, to keep them and their patients safe.

There are about 90 search and rescue teams in the state of New Mexico.

This was the third year, the Las Cruces volunteers took part in the training.

Story here. (http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/4008666/detail.html)

Fun Police
19th Dec 2004, 23:10
no wonder the general publics opinions about helicopters is so screwed up. being a pilot i'm not really afraid of anything in the air, except for big bombs maybe. i gues we have the media to blame for printing such drivel.

SASless
20th Dec 2004, 01:29
Someone might want to reserve the registration G-HUXB if this is true.:ok:

Head Turner
20th Dec 2004, 09:30
In regard to the comment re 'Media'

The old addage applies 'The only truth that you'll find in the news papers is the date.

Jornalists are full of ignorance so be sure to read between the lines and don't take what they write as gospel.

At least we know that there is some serious training going on and that's gotta be a good thing. If only more training were to be held in the industry there might be less misunderstandings.

UwantME2landWHERE!
20th Dec 2004, 10:28
.......I prefer the news paper adage ' Never let the truth get in the way of a good story':E
I seems to apply especially where big expensive whirly things are involved :hmm:

cl12pv2s
20th Dec 2004, 10:48
I think the film world has something to do with it too...

According to my 'highly biased and statistically unfounded' survey, it appears that approximately 95% of all helicopters in Hollywood productions end up in a fireball!!! Pleasing for the producers eye, but not wholly accurate.

See what we're up against!

cl12pv2s

Tony Chambers
21st Dec 2004, 12:04
head turner you have a pm.