PDA

View Full Version : Getting a UK AOC

qwerty300
19th Dec 2004, 16:57
I'm trying to do some preliminary research, and so any help would be greatly appreciated:

If a well-established TRTO wants an AOC, what sort of hoops would it have to jump through with the CAA to both get, and maintain, it?

And of course, at what cost? :{

Thanks in advance :D

Helinut
19th Dec 2004, 21:35
qwerty,

You ask a simple question. To answer it in detail would take a lot of effort and require you to provide more detail of what you wanted to do. There are consultancies that will do much of this for you, but it needs to be specific to your planned operation, and costs money of course.

The first thing you need to do is get someone on your team who can answer the questions you raise. You need a minimum of 2 people who are nominated postholders in your organisation (one of whom will be your chief pilot). They need to have skills and experience to keep the CAA happy that your operation would be managed within the rules - these key individuals need to know the rules.

A basic AOC costs around £6,500 in fees to the CAA (aside from everything else you will need to do).[This is from memory, so check] Like all CAA fees, they are quoted in the Fees regs. It would be more with multiple types etc. etc.

Aside from acquiring two key competent people you will need an Air Operations Manual. This is your document that says how you will carry out your operation. An AOC is issued on the condition that you operate in conformity with your AOM. There is a CAP that is a draft/outline AOM (CAP 649, if my memory is right, but you can get the exact details from the CAA website).

You won't get much specific help from the CAA, until you make a formal application and pay your £6,500 up front.

The fact that your outfit is a TRTO is pretty irrelevant to the AOC game.

Oh and please do some business planning to make sure you will make money at this game. Same answer here - if your people can't put a specific business plan together, then you need someone who can to help you.

paco
20th Dec 2004, 05:35
You need to ask yourself whether it's really worth the hassle - feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Phil

organ donor
20th Dec 2004, 11:40
Just been through the whole process myself - took a year to do and £15K, £6500 + to CAA and about £7000 to get the manuals written. You can write the Air Ops manual yourself, but I wouldnt bother, there are people who will do it for you.
Helinut seems to have covered it all - make sure you have the postholders with the experience to keep the CAA happy, your CP must have previous commercial experience, your maintenance program may have to be changed to suit AOC requirements etc.
The CAA were pretty good once they had their money, but they don't like to rush, so be patient!
Like paco and helinut - make sure its worth your while, can be hard to make the figures work, depending on what you intend to do.
PM me if you need any more help

qwerty300
20th Dec 2004, 17:38
Many thanks for the informative replies.

I will pass it all onto the relevant people and see where they want to take it from here.

Merry Christmas all :D

ScotiaQ
21st Dec 2004, 13:08
Don't forget that you will also need some expensive Maintenance Support.........either in-house or contracted out. Either way if it is for a Public Transport AOC, will need to have PART-145 Approval.

You will also need Maintenance Management Support to comply with JAR-OPS 3 Sub-Part 'M'. Soon to be changed to EASA Part-'M' Support. Similar to Sub-Part M but more detailed. Change to EASA Part M by Sep 2005.

These Approvals also require Postholders but their duties can be combined for smaller Operators.

Good Luck, the more Operators the merrier.

Thomas coupling
21st Dec 2004, 17:16
And insurance! Lots of insurance cover:E

qwerty300
22nd Dec 2004, 09:33
Many thanks again, chaps. Will have to see what comes of it!

:D