PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong & SE Asia: training advice

jtr
26th Aug 2003, 00:14
Wondering if anyone can offer suggestions on where to gain a PPL(H) in the asian region that will not cost an arm and a leg. Based in Hong Kong, but happy to travel anywhere in the region.

Thanks

Buitenzorg
26th Aug 2003, 06:44
Try Solaire Systems in Malaysia or Helizona PT in Indonesia. Sorry, no contact info or prices. For contact info try the Robinson website under "dealers"; or do a Google search.

Best to find out what license they'll train you for and how to validate it in your home country; bit expensive if you got an Indonesian PPL and then had to do 25 more hours to fly in Hong Kong!

Good luck.

moosp
26th Aug 2003, 08:45
Being based Hong Kong I guess you have already checked out the Aviation Club at Kai Tak? They are teaching PPL (H) level right now, mostly weekends at Sek Kong but some of the lessons are done in the week from the HLS.

You need to join the club, which is around HK$50,000 then $3,000 per month, then $2,500 per hour. Steep by Aussie or American prices but similar to European rates. Chief Pilot (H) is an Aussie import and there are two other instructors available.

The Nr Fairy
26th Aug 2003, 09:14
moosp :

If that's Mark D, tell him I said Hi and I'm still expecting his email !

jtr
26th Aug 2003, 12:00
Thanks for the help.

The HK Av. CLub is just a bit ott for my liking. If you manage to squeze in 8 or 10 hours a month, it works out to about $400 US/hr, not including the joining fee.

Google searches comemup a bit lean. Found the Helizona site thogh.

cheers

rotorboy
26th Aug 2003, 12:15
Couldnt find the link for Helizona? can you post it?

Thanks
RB

nevermind
www.helizona.com
rb

gulliBell
26th Aug 2003, 22:47
Why not sign up for GFS and get paid to learn to fly the EC155 or AS332??

moosp
29th Aug 2003, 10:14
Yes Nr, the very same Mark you know. He's doing a good job of getting things running there and doubled the bar takings since arriving... purely through building up the membership of course.

Dynamic Component
29th Aug 2003, 11:18
moosp,

Please tell "CAPTAIN" Mark D I say hello from Sunny Queensland.

If you mention the "CAPTAIN" he'll know who it is:}

Trixsta
4th Jul 2004, 11:58
Dear All,

I live in Hong Kong and would be grateful if anyone could offer some helpful advice on how I should go about getting my CPL.
I'm British, with HK PR but have no prior flying experience.

Many thanks in advance,
Trixsta.

moosp
4th Jul 2004, 16:38
As this is posted on Rotorheads I assume that you wish to obtain a CPL for helicopters. I shall continue on that assumption.

Firstly, Hong Kong does not yet have a training facility for CPL (H) unless you join the Government Flying Service.

The Aviation Club at Sung Wong Toi Road, (2760 0633 or clubmanager@hkaviation club.com.hk) trains to PPL(H) level on Robinson R22 helicopters. The cost of joining the club is typical of a Hong Kong club, HK$50,000 or HK$30,000 if you use a Platinum Master Card. Hourly rates are HK$2,500 which is more than the USA, a bit more than Australia but less than the UK or Europe.

Constraints are that training is mostly carried out weekends only at Sek Kong, the PLA base in the New Territories. The PLA will not allow the club to fly during the week, so the weekend flying slots fill up. Add in the variable nature of the Hong Kong weather and the low visibilty pollution and the time to PPL can take several months. But good quality PPL(H)'s are being produced there at a regular rate.

Now comes the CPL. The licensing office of the Hong Kong CAD say that you cannot hold a Hong Kong CPL(H) unless you are employed by a Hong Kong helicopter company. I believe that they are the only authority in the world that demands such a strange constraint. Even China allows professional progression to a CPL if you want to. This means that to get a CPL you need to go out of the country.

Australia is popular, as the licence is well respected around the world and the flying down there is awesome, but Malaysia and the UK have also been used. The USA is unpopular right now because of the hassles with visas for flight training, which although being available can lead you to unpleasant interviews for hours with immigration on arrival, and the possibility of being deported because of some very minor paperwork problem.

With your respected ICAO CPL(H) licence in your hand you return to Hong Kong to get a Hong Kong licence issued on its basis, and you hit the same problem again- you must be employed by a Hong Kong company. The few helicopter companies in Hong Kong require experienced pilots, so a low time guy will be unlikely to get a look in.

There are pushes to improve the system, to allow Hong Kong pilots to progress to CPL level simply for the professional advancement but it will take a while.

PM me if you need to know more.

Trixsta
7th Jul 2004, 13:50
Which websites and books do you recommend I use as learning resources for the CPL (helicopter)?

Thanks,
T.

Heliport
7th Jul 2004, 14:11
Training Topics (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122944)

Tsing_tao
15th Jul 2004, 13:20
I hear that the GFS is hoping to recruit cadets next year.

belly tank
31st Aug 2004, 02:10
Hi All,

Just need some info firstly, ive got a friend whos in hong kong, hes a stockbroker and want to do his licence there. any suggestions as to where he can go in HK to do his course?

he is an aussie and wants to convert his licence when he eventually gets home to OZ, not being an instructor and in the know, does he just have to do the conversion exam and flight check?

thanks for the help

helterskelter
31st Aug 2004, 04:09
I assume he wishes to train for a PPL(H). If so, he should call the Hong Kong Aviation Club +852 2713 5171 (fax +852 2761 9511). They conduct PPL training in their R22.

As for licence conversion terms - regret I can't help.

Cheers

belly tank
31st Aug 2004, 04:54
Thanks Helter,

Ive passed this info onto my friend..thanks for the help

BT

belly tank
31st Aug 2004, 22:25
Thanks Mr S

I kinda knew hed have to do a conversion exam and flight test, but wasnt too sure about other procedures, i beleive my friend want to do just a PPL H.

Thanks for the help

BT

goaround7
26th Sep 2004, 18:56
With Eurocopter setting up shop in China, just wondering if anyone can advise if much is happening on the helicopter side yet or is it going to be a while before the market opens up in eg. Shanghai ?

French Connection
29th Sep 2004, 03:07
The China market is seeing an increase in helicopter registrations primarily for public security and offshore operations. With the airspace below 500 meters strictly controlled by the military, private ops are limited.
Expansion in SAR equipment and bases is happening in line with increased offshore activity around the mainland coast and dove tailing with Hong Kong GFS areas of responsibility.

goaround7
29th Sep 2004, 05:58
Thanks for the gen, FrenchConnection, and for the PM.

I'm in !

moosp
30th Sep 2004, 13:15
The private sector is opening up slowly. There are already helicopter schools in Guangdong province (inland from Hong Kong) and the airspace over a large section of that province was released last year by the PLA to civil operations up to 950m. I have heard of other provinces that are doing the same.

EMS has a big future in China, but you will have to spend a lot of money to get it established and integrated with the hospital system. Look to a timeframe of ten years and be very careful with your joint venture partner. They are not there to make a profit for you.

I look at the Pearl River estuary and see an area crying out for heli-ops- short distance, high value pax, distributed business centres but it is slowly slowly.

First get your contacts, plough a lot of money in, discover that your contacts do not have the contacts they say they had, lose aforesaid money, start again wiser, and maybe make a business.

It's a trial, but it's all part of pioneering, and you wouldn't be dead for quids.

FWIW

goaround7
30th Sep 2004, 18:59
Thanks for the gen. Got the VC - recommendations on type ?

Set up some EMS with LR, 407 or go Eurocopter route ?

What do they use in HK ? Was there ten years a go and can't remember ? Squirrel ?

moosp
1st Oct 2004, 00:05
In Hong Kong nearly all EMS and casevac is done by the Government Flying Service using EC155's and Super Pumas.

As to what is best for China, it would depend entirely on the operation, range-payload, support etc and one ship which works in one coastal city might be unsuitable for Xinjiang.

Interesting times, as it appears that the view of helicopters in China is one of "new and exciting" rather than the "Not in My back yard" nimbyism of the over developed world.

goaround7
1st Oct 2004, 18:53
Thanks again.

My VC contacts are in USA and would favour Bell. Time to get down to the serious research. Appreciate the introduction - definitely worth taking further.

VFRIFR
21st Jul 2006, 22:53
:) Wonder if anyone out there knows if Heli Express is hiring. What's the pay like. Is it enough for a decent life with wife and 2 kids and a car? Any income tax on expats? How's the work cycle and any options for touring (6 weeks on/off). Do they provide type rating training? Appreciate your replies and will exchange info on Africa, CHC or flying for the UN.

McHover
21st Jan 2010, 01:57
I'd be interested in getting some first hand feedback from anyone who has undertaken instruction with the Hong Kong Flying Club.

I moved to HK recently and am keen to get back into the air and refresh my PPL(H) training, but want to hear a bit more about the quality, safety, and level of experience of those involved in the programme. I know local conditions are pretty restricted and I wondered how that impacts the levels of expertise locally.

I posted in the Fragrant Harbour (HKG) forum a few days ago looking for feedback and got zero response...

Thank you all.

McH

DirtDiver
6th Jun 2013, 19:48
Hi all,

are there people who have experience in getting licenses and flying in Thailand, Malaysia? :)

Thanks,

bladegrabber
7th Jun 2013, 12:22
Hi guys
Typical rates for ppl flying in Malaysia are 2800 RM / hr on an R44 based at Subang near KL, in real money that's $900+ / hr not sure how that compares with Oz or the USA

BG

krautland
2nd Dec 2013, 06:11
Hello,

can you recommend schools for private flying in asia? japan, philippines, thailand, all kinds of places are fine. I currently live in shanghai but there don't seem to be any schools in china. my plan is to take a long summer vacation and finally through on a dream and take a few lessons.

I am probably too heavy for the R22 (unless I can lose 15kg...sigh), so I suppose that means schweizer (what's the limit) or R44 are in order, right?

haihio
2nd Dec 2013, 16:13
In Thailand you can try Heliluck they have a couple of 44's.
In Malaysia there is Solaire helicopters, they are Robinson importers for Malaysia, the company is run by an American + some locals.

:)

avicat
13th Jun 2016, 18:34
Any known Helo Pilot openings in SE Asia?
Willing to relocate. Currently a Pilot on Tuna Boat in the Pacific but can have a start date as early as August 1st.
Current Stats are as follows:
Fixed Wing Exp: C182/G1000
Rotor Wing: R44: 845 Bell 206: 122 hrs EC 130B4: 81 hrs MD500:1085 hrs
Approx: 2133 hrs total time with approx 1288 hours turbine
CPL(H) and licensed with both FAA and CAAP (Philippines)
Class 1 Medical
Conversational Tagalog and Spanish
US Citizen

rotorwhip
12th Apr 2017, 12:19
Hi guys.

Any openings or suggestions on opportunities in HK or Singapore? 6000h ALTP(H) and IR from DGCA India. Presently offshore. Looking at alternates. Preferable ME turbines. Thanks

Adam Nams
13th Apr 2017, 08:07
Any openings or suggestions on opportunities in HK ...

Sky Shuttle - Macau (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Shuttle)