PDA

View Full Version : Incomplete PPL

mr_meatbomb
17th Dec 2004, 16:30
Hello people,

Hope someone can shed some light on this...

I started an ICAO PPL in 2002, got to about 38 hours and then had to stop....I ran out of cash.

I have now saved up to complete the PPL, however can anyone tell me if the hours I have done already can be used towards this or if I will have to start all over?

Also, will it make any difference if the hours already completed were done under the ICAO banner as I am looking to now do a JAA course.

Thanks in advance for any info and advice.

MB

Boeing Freighter
17th Dec 2004, 16:39
No , i dont THINK it should ,

As long as you have your logbook , a one hour refresher should be all you need ( as long as you have just glanced over the books , to stop you forgetting the very basics.

it might be different , so lets see wat the others say :)

Good luck

Calum

PPWannaBe
18th Dec 2004, 14:26
Yep all should count towards your PPL. Just in the middle of completing my training which i left incomplete back in '99. As Calum said a quick glance at the books will help refresh the theory, no doubt you will have to redo the ground exams anyway. You will be amazed how quickly it all comes back.

Best of luck,

PP:cool:

mr_meatbomb
22nd Dec 2004, 15:54
Thanks guys, thats what I was hoping to hear. I'll get myself down to Stapleford (closest fto) with my logbook and see what they say.

I am in no doubt whatsoever that I'll have to resit all of the exams, dont see that being too much of a problem...it was the flying side of things I was concerned about. This could save me some serious cash if I can use these logged hours.

Merry christmas!

Irv
22nd Dec 2004, 17:04
I suspect you'll get creditted 10 hours towards the 45!

silverknapper
23rd Dec 2004, 07:43
I doubt also that all your hours will count. What about going back to complete it where you started. A PPL can easily be converted if JAA is your thing.
Get hold of Lasors, or even try to get someone at the CAA. Do you have student records from first time?

All the best

SK

BEagle
23rd Dec 2004, 07:54
No reason why ALL your hours should not count towards total time.....however, note the following from LASORS 2005:

Any previous flying experience in single
engine-piston (Land) aeroplanes gained during an
incomplete course of training towards an ICAO
PPL(A) may be counted towards the requirements
for the grant of a JAR-FCL PPL(A). Applicants will
be required to obtain copies of their training
records from their training provider, together with
confirmation from them that the training completed
was towards the grant of an ICAO PPL(A).
Applicants will be required to attend a registered
facility or approved FTO and provide evidence of
their previous training to the Chief Flying
Instructor. The CFI will then establish a course of
training taking into account previous experience to
ensure that all the specific requirements of C1.2
have been met.

This is a major change from the previous requirement which insisted:

Any previous flying experience in single
engine-piston (Land) aeroplanes gained during
incomplete PPL(A) courses may be counted
towards the 45 hour minima required for the
grant of a JAR-FCL PPL(A), however the
specific requirements under JAR-FCL (25
hours dual instruction and 10 hours supervised
solo-flight time) must be completed in the
state under whose authority the training and
testing are carried out. (In certain
circumstances training and testing carried out
in another JAA Member State may be
acceptable towards the issue of a JAR-FCL
PPL(A) (see Important Note).

Make sure that the school is aware of this major swing in policy - the new version of LASORS only came out last Friday!

Irv
23rd Dec 2004, 13:37
This is a major change from the previous requirement
I won't find this out until I open my presents on Saturday. :O
That change will please a number of people I know! (and maybe upset a few UK flying schools!).

BEagle
23rd Dec 2004, 14:26
Actually it'll probably be of assistance to quite a few UK flying schools; sensible students will be able to go to the US for, say, a 3 week holiday, get a few training hours as well as enjoying a holiday, then come back and finish off in the UK! Instead of working their nuts off at a US JAR-FCL PPL farm for an 'instant' PPL, they can go wherever they like ( any FAA PPL school will now be OK!), and have a more relaxed time.....

For example, the chap who came back from South Africa having done everything except the PPL Flight Test at a non-JAA accredited school would previously have had to do at least 35 hours in the UK. Whereas now he'll only have to do whatever it takes to finish off.

I checked with a Belgranist mate - and it's true.

So there's no need for any 'JAR-accreditation' for PPL training in the US any more.... That'll queer the pitch for certain folk :\

'Modular PPL', anyone?

Irv
23rd Dec 2004, 17:08
Actually it'll probably be of assistance to quite a few UK flying schools; sensible students will be able to go to the US for, say, a 3 week holiday, get a few training hours as well as enjoying a holiday, then come back and finish off in the UK!
The scenario you describe is one I was thinking of, or, given the weather since July and some students talking about 'giving up', a mid-course move to better weather then return. I think it's a great advancement for the paying customer, but I still can think of UK schools who will not be happy especially if the idea of tailored packages just leaving the UK to provide finishing school 'takes off'.

I think S.A. will benefit - no JAA schools, but now the locals can offer 'progression' for pupils stuck with our weather - predicatable weather in certain seasons, training in practice similar to the UK (eg: overhead joins, QFE), and the US wanting visas and this new background check which they don't

silverknapper
23rd Dec 2004, 21:50
SA gets my vote for flight training every time. What a place to learn!