PDA

View Full Version : Air southwest (more expansion)????

WOWBOY
17th Dec 2004, 16:18
Do you think Air southwest will launch anymore flights this year or will they expand next in 2005?

Maybe:
PLH-AMS/NQY-AMS
PLH-CDG/NQY-CDG
PLH-GLA/NQY-GLA
PLH-BFS/NQY-BFS

ALLMCC
17th Dec 2004, 16:20
For BFS read BHD - would make a lot more sense!

skyrabbit
17th Dec 2004, 16:39
won't get out of Plymouth with a decent load to any of those destinations, runway way too short......would work out of Newquay, but is there any demand?

airhumberside
17th Dec 2004, 16:44
I reckon Plymouth - Paris could work

What about this, it involves them taking over Eastern's BRS routes

Monday to Friday
BRS-ABZ-BRS-IOM-BRS-PLH-CDG-PLH-BRS-ABZ-BRS

On Saturday it could do a Jersey or Guernsey flight, maybe
BRS-IOM-BRS-JER-Gloucester-JER-BRS-GCI-BRS

or perhaps
BRS-IOM-BRS-PLH-CDG-JER-CDG-PLH-BRS

or
BRS-IOM-BRS-PLH-CDH-PLH-BRS-GCI-BRS

And on Sunday
BRS-IOM-BRS-PLH-CDG-PLH-BRS-ABZ-BRS

Maintenance could be done on a Sunday Morning. Perhaps this is a bit over ambitious but it is just an idea

PS, Just seen the runway comment, could replace with Plymouth with Newquay but doubt loads would be high enough

GrahamK
17th Dec 2004, 17:40
Was a rumour going around of a NQY-NCL-ABZ and v.v wasnt there?

dada
17th Dec 2004, 17:43
airhumberside - are you in a position ot give me a job as you seem to know everything about every little airport and airline. i am a trained professional with 30years experience man and boy.
.................hardest job in the world

terrier21
17th Dec 2004, 22:04
airhumberside;
You are of course assuming that WOW will base an aircraft at BRS

HZ123
18th Dec 2004, 06:45
They are recruting pilots as I mat an ex MAF pilot on Thursday that was awaiting his tests on our veritable 1-11 sim. There are a number of candidates next week.

airhumberside
18th Dec 2004, 08:39
You are of course assuming that WOW will base an aircraft at BRS
Yes - as I said it was just an idea

MerchantVenturer
18th Dec 2004, 18:39
Although the future of Newquay Airport is still uncertain I would have thought there is potential for more routes from Cornwall.

At present there are the WOW daily flights to LGW and FR to STN, plus Scilly Skybus to the Scilly Isles. From next spring there will be additional WOW rotations from NQY to DUB, BRS and LBA.

NCL and EDI might be considered as destinations from NQY if WOW wishes to expand operations from that airport.

PLH is in close proximity to EXT that has started a range of Flybe routes all over the UK in the last 12 months and this, together with skyrabbit's point about PLH's runway, might limit options from there. Also Air Wales has a decent range of flights from PLH to ORK, DUB, ABZ, NCL and LPL, some via CWL.

I doubt that WOW would want to start too many flights from PLH (or NQY for that matter) each morning to destinations via BRS because how many people use the PLH-BRS sector at present? "Not many" I believe is the answer.

The alternative would be to base an a/c at BRS, but would they want to start what would be another base? If they did I can only think of NWI and ORK, and possibly LPL, as destinations either not covered at all or not adequately covered from BRS at present. That is unless they take a leaf out of Flybe's book at EXT and SOU and go for something like Brest and/or Cherbourg, but I presume that would be summer only.

Interesting dilemma for WOW at PLH though. They have a potentially decent catchment at PLH but a very limiting runway, plus an established competitor there and a bigger airport forty miles away. The alternatives are an even bigger airport and catchment a hundred miles or so away, or an airport with a question mark hanging over its head with a smallish catchment forty miles in the other direction.

No_Speed_Restriction
18th Dec 2004, 21:03
The question of the ability to operate from a performance limiting runway does not only rest with the specified destination/distance but also using common sense by limiting/capping passenger numbers as to provide a workable buffer between an underload and an RTOM.

skyrabbit
18th Dec 2004, 21:10
couldn't agree more NSR!.....;)

Rabbs :}

No_Speed_Restriction
18th Dec 2004, 21:29
Then again Rabs, were both two individuals pi$$in into the same wind direction.:(

Jet2LBA
19th Dec 2004, 15:52
Runway length at PLH is of a course a problem, but couldn't they get around this on potential new routes in a similar way to the LGW services, by flying out of PLH with a light fuel load and routing the outbound flights via NQY, where more fuel/pax can be taken on?

This may give more options such as BHD, GLA and EDI without severe payload restrictions and could pick up a few extra passengers at NQY along the way.

CDG and AMS could also be then looked at too. A route via NQY may seem as though it is going a bit out of its way, but no more so than the current LGW services.

kala87
20th Dec 2004, 10:34
Remember that at NQY the traffic demand isn't just from the local catchment - there is the huge Cornish inbound tourist market to consider.

With ever- increasing road congestion, and a miserable train service to Cornwall, I would have thought that there is potential for a number of new routes into NQY.

The tourist market is no longer so seasonal as it used to be. Visitors come at all times of the year now for short breaks, which is one reason why the FR route from STN has been so successful.

There is also a healthy inbound tourist flow to Cornwall from Germany and the Netherlands, so maybe there's potential for flights to/from both these countries, at least at weekends.

Nakata77
20th Dec 2004, 15:24
Domestic routes only considered for expansion at the moment to keep their cost base low.

Next routes were going to be NQY-BOH-MAN and PLY-BOH-BFS but since Jet2 have come in on BOH-BFS, they are re-thinking their route structure.

So perhaps INTL routes are not that far off...

Air Southwest at Bournemouth would make perfect sense in terms of their name and LCC model.

FLYboh
20th Dec 2004, 21:09
seeing as Jet2 has stolen their thunder they could try PLY-BOH-EDI.

EDI would work well from BOH. Especially at their fares. not so sure about PLY though. Only a two and a half hour drive away.

If Air Southwest did come to BOH I think it would make more sense to base an aircraft here and launch a number of routes.

Edinburgh, Jersey, Guernsey, Manchester and Newcastle all spring to mind.

eurostar builder
21st Dec 2004, 10:09
NQY-BOH-MAN or
PLY-BOH-MAN

has to be a winner

ALLMCC
21st Dec 2004, 10:46
Perhaps Air Southwest should bide their time on the Belfast as the Jet2 will probably be short lived - a 737 isn't really the most suitable aircraft for what will be essentially a fairly thin route.

This would suit the Air Southwest model better and would hopefully operate to BHD which would better suit the business fraternity.

MerchantVenturer
21st Dec 2004, 10:51
I don't quite follow the idea that Air Southwest would do NQY-BOH-MAN or PLH-BOH-MAN when they already fly to MAN from PLH via BRS, and from next April NQY pax will also be able to reach MAN by changing at BRS.

I can't see this airline effectively duplicating these routes.

However, BOH might well prove attractive to them for other destinations, either for flights commencing at PLH or NQY or even from BOH direct, because there can't be many further options for them at BRS given that most destinations from there are already flown by others.

I would still like to see them do BRS-NWI and BRS-ORK though, because Aer Arann don't seem much interested in the latter route.

WOWBOY
21st Dec 2004, 15:45
Nakata77-Where did you get the information about the
PLH-BOH-BFS and NQY-BOH-MAN routes from?

I would like to see these routes being launched