PDA

View Full Version : Sod this for a lark! I'm taking steps!

itchy kitchin
17th Dec 2004, 10:32
That's it!
I'm gonna do something about my ever-growing pile of letters that say:
"Dear Itchy, blah blah blah application, blah blah blah unfortunatly, blah blah blah, not enough experience blah blah blah thank you, bye."

So, I'm deserting this muddy little island and going to Africa to try my hand at some bush flying. With a strong pound and plenty of brits out there, NOW is the time.

Anyone care to join me?

Biscuit
17th Dec 2004, 10:51
I'd love to zoom of to Africa and do some bush flying once I'm done! But if you've borrowed some cash how do you start paying the loan back? I assume you only earn just about enough to live off out there?

Good luck mate!

Biscuit

no sponsor
17th Dec 2004, 10:58
Biscuit,

You've hit the nail on the head! Borrowing vast sums of cash to do your training severely limits your options. How do you pay back your £600 per month? Not flying in Africa, that's for sure - in fact, most TP operators in the UK will not pay you enough to service the huge training debt. Think carefully about all your options for today, and in the future.

itchy kitchin
17th Dec 2004, 11:04
Good and valid questions chaps.

1. I have a very understanding bank manager who doesn't want a penny for a year (although I am going to put in as much as I can as I go along) and is also a pilot.

2. Tax rebate. (wahay!)

raspberry
17th Dec 2004, 11:46
Guys, don’t worry about the money too much, I have been deferring my loans for well over 18 months. The banks are very understanding as long as you talk to them and don’t burrow your head in the sand. And when you do speak to the bank manager try and be upbeat and positive, it goes a long way.

itchy kitchin
17th Dec 2004, 12:01
well said!
My bank has 5 chaps in the same boat as me, and as the manager is a pilot too, (PPL) he understands the situation a little better than most managers do. He knows my plans and is very supportive. He said to me: "One of my chaps has done a type rating and still has no luck, another is an instructer and the airlines say it's the wrong kind of hours"

So, I'm off. Yup, pack the old headset, licence and logbook and head on out to Maun.

AlternativeProcedure
17th Dec 2004, 12:26
Hey y'all,

I totally agree with itchy kitchin on this one, I'm heading off to Nigeria in January, the pay isn't bad at all. I've got one question though, you guys have mentioned loan defferment, has anyone tried this out with a Career Development Loan??? If so please let me know what you did, cos I desperately need a break from paying off that baby.

AP

WX Man
17th Dec 2004, 14:10
Hey Itchy!

So you'ver finally decided to take that plunge, I thought you'd have done it sooner?!

I am not going that way myself. Although my final goal is airlines, I've decided to clock up the 'wrong type of hours' and get an instructor rating. Of course I shall be applying to airlines left, right and centre at the same time... and I'm still keen to get into ferrying.

Good luck mate! I am sure you will have a blast. I am jealous, I wish it was me going out there but I have decided... possibly unwisely... to become an instructor (for the moment).

WX.

blueplume
17th Dec 2004, 14:12
itchy kitchin, PM

Steelspirit
17th Dec 2004, 15:43
I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Where can I find some info on this? Among all the brits there will also be one crazy norwegian.:ok:

JohnnyK
21st Dec 2004, 07:39
Well Boys, sounds like there are a few of us taking the plunge. Im off tomorrow. See you there.

Groundloop
21st Dec 2004, 09:54
"I'm heading off to Nigeria in January, the pay isn't bad at all."

Be careful who you are going to be employed by. Nigeria is notorious for not actually paying! Lot's of companies in many different industries have suffered very badly from this in the past. Maybe things have changed but be careful.

south coast
21st Dec 2004, 11:53
been in africa flying now for almost 4 years...

if you get in with a south african company and fly on contract for them, ie. algeria, congo, afghanistan, jordan etc etc you can earn dollars and start paying a bit of the loan off.

be warned, there are also a lot of unemployed south african low timers to compete with...!!!!

bon chance!

AlternativeProcedure
21st Dec 2004, 12:28
Cheers Groundloop,

will look out for companies like that

AP

itchy kitchin
21st Dec 2004, 13:20
Good luck to all "PLUNGE-TAKERS"

see you in Maun on the 10th!

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
21st Dec 2004, 15:19
itchy i tried to send you private message but you never got back to me can you check and give me a reply ?