PDA

View Full Version : Scheutzow two-seat certificated helo

slowrotor
17th Dec 2004, 05:25
The Scheutzow model B, light helicopter, has a U.S.A. Type Certificate issued in 1969 and revised in 1976.
Only one aircraft is currently registered.
Is anyone familiar with the design and why it did not go into production?

I suspect the project was dropped after the designer,Webb Scheutzow, fell ill or died,but I have no idea.

It might be possible to acquire the design at a fraction of the cost to certificate a new design.

Here is a few specs from Jane's All the Worlds A/C.
Empty 1000 lb
gross 1550 lb
main rotor diameter 27 ft
Lycoming IVO-360-A1A It has a patented "flexhub"rotor head with belt drive at the top of the mast.

Is this design worth looking into?
Thanks
slowrotor

CRAN
17th Dec 2004, 07:25
Anyone got any images?

CRAN

HOSS 1
17th Dec 2004, 07:41
Looks like the homebuilt Scorpion. The text at this site says it failed to achieve certification. But a little further web surfing of Google Groups discussions, seems to indicate it was indeed certified. Looks like you are right, that it's a viable, albiet not very marketable, Type Certificate.

http://avia.russian.ee/vertigo/scheutzow-r.html

HOSS

slowrotor
17th Dec 2004, 15:57
The type certificate data sheet (TCDS)for the Scheutzow B can be viewed at the FAA website: http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/409D4DE2E47A55BE85256716006D7ECD?OpenDocument

The helicopter cabin is'nt particularly pretty, but if the mechanical design is sound then maybe some cosmetic changes could be made without going through a new certification.I have worked with the FAA as production manager at a small company that built a two seat fixed wing light plane.We modernised a 1946 design (Interstate Cadet) and beefed up the structure and added a 150hp LYC.

It is easier to start with an existing Type certificate because the old rules apply, even if the design is changed.

I could send a letter to the current owner if there is interest in trying to buy the design rights.
slowrotor

Dave_Jackson
17th Dec 2004, 17:47
If the objective is to develop a 'conventional' light helicopter for eventual production, what about buying a timed-out R-22 and dropping the certification?

Might a timed-out R-22 be safer and cheaper to start with than beginning with a totally new design? In addition, the patents may have expired.

This R-22 could then be modified to reduce the weight sufficiently to get into the new Very Light Rotorcraft categories. It could then be modified as desired to arrive at the final objective. This craft might then become the trainer of choice should Robinson quit producing the R-22.

Dave

slowrotor
18th Dec 2004, 03:41
Dave,
You cannot "drop the certification" as you suggest and then use the R22 in a commercial training operation.
The R22 could be modified legally by the suplemental type certificate (STC) process to make a better trainer or any purpose. Maybe someone should consider that.
I just read about a new company that is building Bell 206 blades with a STC (Bell is not happy of course and will try to stop the STC holder).

slowrotor