View Full Version : Thai Jet Airways

Jim Morehead
16th Dec 2004, 17:31
I can't believe I missed it here,but I see no other thread on a new company called Thai Jet Airways. There was a posting on climb to 350.com that got my attention. Does anyone know anything about them or where they wil fly?

That website has one omission in it in that it talks about Check and training Captains and First Officers yet does not address Captains pay. It appears it would be between $5000 and $8000 but the small print says this number includes housing per diem and meal allowances.

On a related subject, how can someone just start an airline overnight? Could it be a previously existing certificate? It appears that they could be flying by March or April. In the US, it takes about a year minimum to get a cetificate,do proving runs, nd just the bureaucratic stuff to prove one as airworthy.

There was also something on this forum that said many countries had gone from age 63-65. Anybody know what Thailand is?

Are the taxes bad there? I wonder what would one NET from the pay.

I also have to note that many on this forum are very down on Thailand the other new company that has started (are there many??) There seems to be a continuing debate on costs of housing. Perhaps some of you have different tastes or lifestyles.

I stayed in BKK for a number of trips east of town just along the elevated railway. there was a shopping mall, a big lake and a nice hotel there. 5 minutes walk from there was a great New Orleans restaurant and I still get e-mail from them. Is that the area that some are saying is either bad or expensive or ???

Any thoughts on this opportunity would be appreciated.

kwaiyai
16th Dec 2004, 19:38
Hi Jim,
Not much help but I often saw a 757 parked at BKK with THAI JET painted on it. It never seemed to move. That was more than 12 months. I heard someone say it never got going but sounds like it might be getting going after all.
Perhaps someone knows more?
Regards.:confused:

Taikonaut
17th Dec 2004, 01:14
Thai Jet was a joint venture between Atlas (Turkey) and a Thai start-up group. It didn't work out. They came and gone about 4 months ago.

As far as the area you refered to, Sukumvit, still alive and well. There's nothing wrong with Thailand. You've been there and you've seen it. That is worth a lot more than rumors that everyone is saying about it. The recent downside is that all the bars must be closed by 2:00 am. Otherwise, no change.

Other start-ups are Phuket Air and Thai Air Asia. Both these companies will most likely hire domestic pilots. Phuket does hire expats to fill the gaps but you must be rated on 747 classics.

As far as the age issue goes, that's for domestic flights only.

Nostalgia
17th Dec 2004, 01:21
FYI, Thaijet started their flights to Germany at the end of last year but due to problems with some shareholders it had stopped operation just a few months after. They operated 2 B757-200 leased from Atlasjet in Turkey which is also it's main shareholder.

I came across their webpage www.thaijetairways.com and found out that they are now recruiting locals and will start its operation again with the new aircraft, B747.

Check out their webpage for more info.

Hope this helps.:O

Jim Morehead
17th Dec 2004, 04:31
It would seem that a 757 would have to stop at least once from BKK to Germany. The 747-400 is much more suited for their likely routes.

The website does not deal with much more than F/As.