PDA

View Full Version : Bmibaby in scotland?

WOWBOY
16th Dec 2004, 16:17
Do you think bmibaby will expand in scotland soon?
From-Glasgow Int'l
Edinburgh
Inverness
Aberdeen

Runway 31
16th Dec 2004, 17:47
Can't see Baby doing anything else as far as Scotland are concerned.

airhumberside
16th Dec 2004, 17:48
I though CWL moved to PIK because of landing fees

737James
16th Dec 2004, 20:18
I am not expecting any more Baby growth in Scotland for the future as others have pointed out other carriers have got the market.
The main reason we kept the Ema-Gla route going was the loads were stronger with business pax and we knew Easy were cancelling there flights which left us as sole carrier on a very sucessful route with both good loads and yields.
I believe we got some form of grant to change to Prestwick also Scotrail assisted us in the transfer.

Runway 31
16th Dec 2004, 20:25
No form of grant was given to transfer the Cardiff service to Prestwick. The costs of using Prestwick are lower allowing a profit to be made from a service that was not profitable using Glasgow.

As 737 James stated more passengers use the East Midlands service therefore no need to transfer this service to Prestwick. Last time I flew this service it was nearly full both ways.

airhumberside
16th Dec 2004, 20:38
The high costs at GLA seem to be stopping Low Cost growth bar Fly Globespan compared to EDI

737James
16th Dec 2004, 20:39
I wasnt 100% sure about the grant i just heard a rumour that they got some deal from local council/Business association.
Most of the Ema-Gla sectors ive done the loads are over 70% full with majority being business pax so most likely booking short time in advance i know the checked bag numbers are never very high i think last Glasgow flight i did we only had 8bags in hold but a load of about 86pax.:D

MerchantVenturer
16th Dec 2004, 21:26
No form of grant was given to transfer the Cardiff service to Prestwick. The costs of using Prestwick are lower allowing a profit to be made from a service that was not profitable using Glasgow.
baby have certainly rung the changes on the Cardiff-Glasgow service and apart from switching to PIK the route is of course now operated for them by Air Wales and their ATR 42s.

If this means the route is profitable and sustainable then full marks to baby for initiative.

pipertommy
17th Dec 2004, 10:56
I used the CWL-GLA very frequently the a/c was close to if not completely full.So how could this be less of a money maker than the other ww route into GLA ? Went up on an ATR 42(pik) in the last few weeks,it was about half full on both legs.Easy seems to manage into GLA along the road from CWL,and the prices are better!Lets have the original service back,even if it is an ATR into GLA.When i fly with ww they are a great airline just need to give the pax what they want and they will come.:O

MerchantVenturer
17th Dec 2004, 13:18
tommy

The last CAA figures available for the CWL-PIK-CWL route are those for September 2004 when 3562 pax used the route, an average load of 34.

The previous September (2003), when baby were using their own 737 aircraft, 6759 pax used the route. Bearing in mind the relative sizes of the Air Wales and baby a/c, the average load on the baby 737 would have been considerably lower than the Air Wales ATR 42 in percentage terms - in fact that month the baby 737s would have been barely 50% full on average.

The last full month baby operated into GLA from CWL was June 2003 when 8653 passengers used the route - an average load of around 60% on baby's 733s.

In case this was a freak month I also looked at March 2003 for CWL-GLA-CWL and 8144 passengers used the route that month, an average load of just under 60%.

In terms of percentage average loads we can perhaps see why baby have opted for the smaller Air Wales a/c and also for the apparently lower costs of operating into PIK rather than GLA.

None of this makes any sense when one considers the airport 'along the road' (as you put it) seems to convey 26,000-28,000 passengers every month on their GLA route, with both easyJet and BACx on the route.

Finally, we have only been talking about passenger numbers and loads. Of course, the thing that airlines are interested in is yields and we cannot know what they are as outsiders from the companies concerned.