PDA

View Full Version : AVG/Mailwasher problem

BRL
16th Dec 2004, 10:47
Hi all. I have just dumped Norton(subscription due) for the impressive, free, AVG. Now, problem is when I run Mailwasher.

I get an error saying it cannot connect. I turn off AVG and all is well.

Is there something I have missed? I have looked all over but nothing about this problem.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

Memetic
16th Dec 2004, 12:16
I'd guess that AVG "hijack's" mailwasher's attempt to connect to port 110 so that it can intercept and scan incomming mail, perhaps this slows things down too much for mailwasher.

I know mailwasher dies if I have too much stored mail on the server, not tried it with avg as I only use mailwasher at work - where it saves me from about 200 spams a day :)

Have you tired tinkering with timeout settings on Mailwasher?

BRL
17th Dec 2004, 11:34
Hi. I don't know how to tinker with something like that!

At the moment, I turn off AVG and run Mailwasher but this email scanner appears at the bottom right hand corner of the screen and Mailwasher will not connect. Same goes with OE, that will not connect now at all and this email scanner comes up. This happens when I turn off AVG, is there any settings that I should be looking at now as i have not received email for two days now :{

All I can think of is uninstalling AVG to get to my emails but that rather defeats the object a bit doesn't it!!

BOAC
17th Dec 2004, 12:50
memetic - I'm running Mailwasher 4.1.7.5 and I don't think there are any time-out settings in it. I think they are all in OE.

BRL - have you tried the Mailwasher help desk? You could try turning off the 'check incoming' in AVG and see if it helps? You may need to shut the thing down using Task Mamager if it will not die gracefully:D

BRL
18th Dec 2004, 11:25
Thank you for the replies chaps. I have binned it now. I started getting a blue screen everytime my internet connection started. It only started happening when I put AVG on and I have taken it off this morning and all is well again! Going to renew Norton I guess.
Strange things these PC's eh!