PDA

View Full Version : Monetary rewards from flying (are there still any???)

Pecks
16th Dec 2004, 09:44
I am working in a dull but reasonably well paid job just completing my PPL. I really want to get a job in aviation but all I hear is that pilot contracts are getting worse and worse. On top of all the costs for training my question is financially - is it all worth it?

Also has the industry been in this situation before and wages have increased again over time, or are there so many desperatly in debt wannabees that the airlines can pay whatever they want as people will work for the poor wages???

no sponsor
16th Dec 2004, 09:56
Salaries will never be the same again when compared to the 60s, 70s and 80s. Gone are the days of £100k + per year. Look at other industries in the travel business: all have eroded salaries.

The economics of the industry have changed significantly too. The days of airlines funded by the governments are gone too (of course except the US and France..) commercial reality and hard-nosed business decisions make the salary bill too tempting an area for scrutiny. I would say that salaries and conditions will continue to slide, unless people do the maths and stop training.

Unfortunately there are too many who don't look at the economics when training. Any business plan should fail miserably, but that doesn't stop people from doing it by borrowing huge sums of cash.

Just don't do it for the money.

Pecks
16th Dec 2004, 10:33
Thanks for the reply no sponsor, thats a good point about the government funding just is not there anymore, while I do love the flying I just can't make the numbers add up for me to get that fATPL. The PPL was still well worth it though!!

RVR800
16th Dec 2004, 15:53
You can make a small fortune in aviation.

Start with a large one and end up with a small one.

Don't believe all the spin..

Flying schools are keen to get you to spend....