PDA

View Full Version : Employment opportunities

TPE331
16th Dec 2004, 02:51
Fellow pilots,

Does anyone know who's hiring Metro pilots? I am FAA rated in the Metro, 6 yrs. as PIC, current FAR 121 Chief Pilot, instructor and check airman. Just wondering what kind of opportunities are out there.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Cessna Capt
17th Dec 2004, 07:49
Try australia mate

Lots of metros down here

TPE331
18th Dec 2004, 01:14
Do you have at hand any names of companies in Australia flying the "tube"?
Thanks

CaptainToBe
18th Dec 2004, 02:33
Try ********, or Brindabella (who is actually looking for a metro check and training captain for their metro 3)

9Ws
19th Dec 2004, 16:40
Anyone with some advice....?

I've got an Aussie ATPL
4000 hours total time
3650 hours EFIS Turbo-Prop time
8 years Airline experience in India flying the Beech 1900-D and ATR 72-500 (all as F/O)
and have Permanent Residence Status in Australia

Any idea who would employ me in Australia?

I've applied to all the airlines on the www.pilot.staffcv.com website for more than a year, but have had no answers as yet. I'm still flying in India but will move across moment I get a decent job.

Am I limited to only the Regionals/Turbo-Props or do I stand a chance with Virgin or Jetstar? How do I get any of them to notice me and my applications?

Is there any other way of contacting these airlines apart from the staffcv website, or just continue updating my online-application every month and wait till they notice me?

The Other Half
19th Dec 2004, 23:35
Flying in India must be an experience! How many chickens per passenger are they allowed to take on board? :}

Seriously though, some things come to mind when applying in Australia:

1) Unless you have at least 500 ME PIC (sometimes also needs to be all IFR too) then you've got bugger all chance with most of the higher level operators. Even majority of the third tier operators like Brindabella, Skippers etc require such experience, so forget about Virgin and the Regionals as they won't touch you, they want you to have the ability to become captain.

2)Whats your command time, especially multi command? I'm sure you're quite capable of maybe commanding these things by now but this is really going to hold you up, not just in Australia but also around the world.

3)From what it seems your time is basically all FO. Good as that is you're probably going to find that you'll have to take quite a few steps back through the traditional career line to go forward again. E.g. like the M A C A I R cadets.

Cheers and best of luck :ok:

9Ws
20th Dec 2004, 05:37
Thanks for the input Other Half! Yes, flying in India has been great, but no animals on board :-) Even "unhatched eggs" that Hatcheries transport all the time go in the hold, so forget chickens!

Got just 5 hours ME Command from my ME endorsement and ME-CIR days in Australia back in 1994. But I am ME/IF current to the regs I operate under as a F/O. And some 800 Instrument Flight hours (almost all Airline/IFR) and some 200 Instrument Ground hours (almost all Airline simulators: F27, Beech 1900-D, ATR-72).

If not with VB or J*, won’t my EFIS Turbo-Prop time count for anything with the likes of EAA and REX?

Would love to fly as Captain one day soon, I’m even ready for it now :-) ...and got good training records to show for it. Just need that break for someone to notice!

How are some low-time CPLs landing Jet-jobs there? Paying for their type-ratings?

turbantime
20th Dec 2004, 05:55
9Ws,

Check PM's please

Cheers :ok:

SkySista
20th Dec 2004, 08:12
Wasn't Skippers advertising for Metro pilots about 1-2 weeks ago in the Australian? Remember reading something about Metro-endoresed pilots in one of their ads.....

Boney
20th Dec 2004, 22:23
9Ws

You need to get some Twin Command time. If you can get that, I believe your career will go forward in leaps and bounds but until then, it may well be struggle.

DUXNUTZ
21st Dec 2004, 04:37
"How are some low-time CPLs landing Jet-jobs there? Paying for their type-ratings?"

Maaaaate! Think you will find some of the highest time guys (on a world average) breaking out of GA here in Oz to get onto a t-prop let alone a jet.

As a basis for comparison. Many guys with 2000 Hrs flying singles in Aus, waiting for a twin job. Guys in Europe/USA whinging about flying turbine equipment at 2000 Hrs.....

The Other Half
21st Dec 2004, 11:29
9Ws and for that matter all others in such a position. You need at least 400-500hrs ME PIC (some require all this to be IFR as well, e.g. REX last I checked) For such regionals this is for CAO requirements and other requirements as well, RE: Civil Aviation Orders 82.3 RPT Ops in Other than High Capacity Aircraft. As a general rule, if you in India have heard of any particular regional or third tier airline, they require such hours, discount them and aim lower initially, biding your time (best Monty Burns impersonation here :E)
These low timers getting jet jobs that you refer to, are probably QF cadets or freshies lucky enough to get in as Direct Entry. This is because such companies as QF and Cathay etc have second officers (think of it as learning the "company" way of flying) they have strict regulatory approved check and training that has been going on for donkey's years. Such larger companies have their own set of rules which applies to them not requiring such hours, the direction of which to point you alludes me (if someone could point him in the right direction.)
So suffice to say, unless you join a company like Qantas mainline then every other higher end operator that you've heard of will require ME PIC time.
Try getting into a smaller more obscure company that operates to relatively unheard of destinations and has multi-crew turbines and also single pilot op piston twins like the PA31 Chieftain or C402. That way you can prove yourself as FO then "upgrade" to the Chieftain :p :} (how can that be sane?!) That's probably your best route.

Cheers and Best of Luck :ok: