PDA

View Full Version : Mobiles to be allowed on aircraft ?

anengineer
15th Dec 2004, 15:21
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4092019.stm

I knew it was a load of old cobblers, all that stuff about 'interfering with the navigation equipment' !
Either that, or the scent of a possible income source outweighs any perceived risk. :hmm:

Oh god... it's going to be "I'M ON THE TRAIN" all over again ! :{

eal401
15th Dec 2004, 15:34
I knew it was a load of old cobblers, all that stuff about 'interfering with the navigation equipment' !
Oh no, now you're for it!!

Joyce Tick
15th Dec 2004, 16:10
Well it does interfere with the navigation equipment - I can sometimes find it difficult to follow the SID's and STAR's accurately while trying to arrange my social like on the Nokia - and trying to listen to ATC in the other ear...

st-paddy
15th Dec 2004, 17:28
CAN U IMAGINE IT SILLY TEENAGE KIDS PHONING UP THERE MAM SAYING IM ON THE PLANE STUPID RING TONES ECT WHO WANTS TO LISTEN TO SLAPPERS RETURNING FROM FALIRAKI EXPLAINING WHAT THEYVE BEEN DOING .

Joyce Tick
15th Dec 2004, 17:52
..they obviously speak very loudly, and don't do punctuation or syntax, in WIGAN

Wideeye
15th Dec 2004, 17:54
I recently attended a First Aid evening involving the use of portable Defibrillators that are carried on aircraft. It was pointed out that the use of mobile phones in the vicinity of this equipment has the unfortunate effect of flattening the Defib's batteries. Too quote an old Michael Caine saying, 'Not many people know that.

Vee One...Rotate
15th Dec 2004, 18:23
Oh god. Annoying polyphonic ringtones...in a metal tube...seven miles above the ground...with no convenient getting off points. Doesn't bear thinking about... :yuk:

V1R

BEagle
15th Dec 2004, 19:20
Having only recently been on a packed train, where the other 3 people at my table were yapping into cellphones, I cannot imagine much worse than unrestrained access to cellphones in an airliner.......

Just provide a couple of acoustic booths at the back of the aircraft - and ensure that call charges through the picocell cost £5 per minute!

Smurfjet
15th Dec 2004, 22:14
A John Morgan classic (requires real player)

Low (http://www.airfarce.com/video/011109fl.ram)
medium (http://www.airfarce.com/video/011109fm.ram)

He passed away earlier this year.

ATNotts
17th Dec 2004, 14:01
The BBCi report does suggest that the dreaded day is still a few years away, thank the Lord.

I hope that if and when these infernal machines are allowed to be used on aircraft carriers have the courtesy to have "Phone" and "Phone Free" sections of the cabin, hopefully partitioned by sound-proofed curtains so that those of us who are grown up and confident enough to be able live without mobile phones can be left in comparative peace, away from the innane chatter of those poor, insecure cretins whose business / social life clearly falls apart if they cannot be in constant contact with their staff / customers / other halves (delete as not applicable).

Am I alone in thinking that the mobile phone is probably the most annoying gadget to have been invented in the 20th century?

flybhx
21st Dec 2004, 19:47
BEagle,

Turn on the walkman to full blast or start singing in drunkeneze, the ignorant vermin might, just might get the hint

My personal favourite is to start whistling the muppett show theme and see if they catch on :cool:

BEagle
23rd Dec 2004, 07:22
I look them in the eye and make it look as though I'm eavesdropping on their oh-so-crucial conversation.....a few nods of agreement, raised eyebrows, "Really?", "Hmm"........:E And as for those weirdos who wander around like escapees from an asylum mumbling to a piece of black string. Or those with Lt Uhura-style Star Trek things sticking out of their ears :rolleyes:

Couldn't believe it the other week when someone boarded the ac yapping into his spivphone and the flight attendants made no effort to stop him...:mad:

The cellphone is an excellent invention; I've had them since 1991 and wouldn't be without one. Unfortunately many people simply don't have the manners to know when their use is inappropriate or annoying to others.