PDA

View Full Version : BA & AA codeshare

flystudent
15th Dec 2004, 14:38
This is something that I was wondering.....

I read the recently AA & BA extended their codeshare to some other destinations. What happenes if I book a flight via BA and it ends up being an AA flight. Will I be told this at time of booking (e.g. BA online) ?

Would I have to pay for my alcoholic beverages on board the AA flight even though I thought it was a BA flight (what I thought Id paid for) as it may have been one of the factors I chose to fly BA instead of AA, becasue at $5 a drink that could add up on a long flight !!

Thanks in Advance
FS

redfred
15th Dec 2004, 14:42
the res agent should tell you over the phone if its operated by another carrier, certainly internal flights within the US with a BA flight number will not be operated by BA, if you book online the printout will say operated by another carrier.I think if you booked with BA the longhaul bit will be on BA but even so im pretty sure AA dont charge for drinks longhaul maybe internally and BA certainly dont

flystudent
15th Dec 2004, 15:01
:-0=) Thanks - unfortunately AA do, when I flew from Gatwick to Dallas last year they made a packet of my friends and I $5 per drink.. Yikes.

redfred
15th Dec 2004, 15:13
they charge on longhaul flights! bit steep i think

MarkD
15th Dec 2004, 17:03
when booking BA online it always gives the operated by, whether codeshare or regional.

bealine
15th Dec 2004, 21:45
they charge on longhaul flights! bit steep i think

Unfortunately, all US carriers do charge now - they use the excuse that the profits subsidise the catering!!! ( The last AA flight I was on, the "catering" was a bagged bit of rubbish tossed at you in the jetty, whilst boarding, and a miniature can of Coke!)

cranbournechase
15th Dec 2004, 22:14
Must have been a US domestic flight then - normal in-flight catering is provided on all AA longhauls. AA catering is no better nor worse than any of its competitors - they're all roughly the same standard. People choose their carrier like they choose their cars - its down to brand loyalty - then slag the rest of the opposition.

Yes, if you have a BA/AA codeshare ticket, you will pay for alcohol on AA economy class longhaul. What always puzzles me is why some SLFs make such a big issue over the provision of alcohol on a flight - even if its free you don't want to be overdoing it. Depending on what time of the day you start, you will either end up drunk, sick, offloaded or in custody - or sometimes all four!

I like to partake of a little alcoholic refreshment just like the majority. However, booking a flight shouldn't be made on the basis of who provides free glug, and from personal experience I have found that those who do like to take extra "advantage" of free or excessive amounts of drink usually end up being a pain in the posterior to everyone else in the near vicinity during the flight.

radeng
17th Dec 2004, 12:11
>However, booking a flight shouldn't be made on the basis of >who provides free glug,

If they're so mean that they don't give free glug transatlantic, how mean are they on maintenance and so on?

Personally, I like BA, but I do have American miles to use - and they will be used in May in Business Class. I'll report on what it's like when I get back.

davethelimey
20th Dec 2004, 12:14
You seem to be suggesting that charging for drinks = poor maintenence standards and dangerous cost cutting.

Maybe you'd take that back?

apaddyinuk
13th Jan 2005, 22:57
Well DOnt worry about getting stuck on an AA flight from the UK instead of a BA one as BA-AA dont codeshare across the Atlantic due to Government Regulations but they do codeshare domestically in the US and around europe from LHR/LGW.

Hartington
14th Jan 2005, 07:43
BA and AA do code share on the Atlantic.

BA5204 GLA/ORD is actually AA53 and AA6679 is actually BA 1503 MAN/JFK.

apaddyinuk
14th Jan 2005, 19:36
Your right Hartington...forgot about those two...But the rest of the transatlantic services, and there are a lot more, are not allowed to be codeshared under current transatlantic regulations!!!

Globaliser
20th Jan 2005, 18:02
cranbournechase: What always puzzles me is why some SLFs make such a big issue over the provision of alcohol on a flight ... booking a flight shouldn't be made on the basis of who provides free glugI agree that shouldn't be the sole reason. But when you're booking that ticket, it's easy to forget that you have to add £10 to the cost of the AA flight for your total cost of travel.

Also, there's a hospitality issue involved. The service of drinks at no extra charge - like that of food - has a relationship significance well beyond the value of the stuff being handed out. Offering drinks and food, rather than selling them, is part of the process of making you feel welcome, as most cultures worldwide recognise. The airlines that aren't prepared to make you feel welcome in that respect, IME, are the airlines that are least prepared to make you feel welcome, full stop.