PDA

View Full Version : LPC validity (UK)

Floppy Link
15th Dec 2004, 11:20
Just redid my AS355 LPC (Thanks Leon + Geoff!) and yesterday got my shiny renewed ATPL(H) back from the CAA...

The rating expires 5 Dec 2005, should that actually be 31 Dec 2005? When my 757 is signed up it gets the rest of the month as well...

Have the chaps at PLD made a boob, or am I talkin bolleaux? :confused:

212man
15th Dec 2004, 11:59
The LPC is valid for 12 months to the date. This differs from the OPC which is valid until the end of the 6th month, so in theory the LPC could be due before the second OPC. This is a reflection of difference in opinion (or lack of communication) between the JAR OPS team and the JAR FCL team. To administer common sense, the CAA allow commercial operators to extend their company pilots' LPCs to the end of the month to tie in with their OPC dates.

So, I suspect your date is correct, but stand to be corrected by others more up to date with the current system.

tbc
15th Dec 2004, 15:21
Standards Document 28, Version 01
Guidance Notes for Helicopter Type Rating Examiners conducting Type Rating Skill Tests and Proficiency Checks

4.3 Licence Action
4.3.1 On successful completion of the type rating proficiency check (either revalidation or renewal), the examiner should sign the applicant’s licence type rating page as follows:

a) under type, write the helicopter type designator and if flown to visual standards only write (VFR) after the type, e.g. AS355N (VFR & IR);

b) under type, write the type designator and if flown to both visual and instrument standards, write after the type (VFR & IR) e.g. AS355N (VFR & IR);

c) under type, write the type designator and if flown to instrument standards only, write after the type (IR) e.g. AS355N (IR).

4.3.2 a) Validity of type rating (licence) proficiency check:
i) Revalidation – The period of validity of a type rating proficiency check shall be 12 calendar months in addition to the remainder of the month of issue. If issued within the final 3 calendar months of the previous type rating proficiency check, the period of validity shall extend from the date of issue until 12 calendar months from the expiry date of the previous proficiency check.

So, a TRE would sign it up for the end of the month, but for a PLD issued piece of paper - that's another story!!

Aesir
15th Dec 2004, 15:47
tbc:

There seems to be difference from your document to JAA FCL 2 which say´s:

JAR-FCL 2.245 (a) Type ratings, helicopter - Validity. Type rating for helicopters are valid for one year from the date of issue...!

I think that the document you are quoting perhaps applies to Operator proficiency checks (OPC) where JAR-OPS 3 clearly states that the OPC is valid until the end of month.

However the UK CAA may have a different meaning on how to interpret this.

I on the other hand have been a FE for pilots for all the Nordic countries and a Licence proficiency check is only valid until one year after the proficiency check, except in Denmark where the Danish SLV has given dispensation and want the examiner to sign the licence with validity until the end of month.

perhaps the UK CAA has issued such a dispensation from the JAR´s as well?

The one good thing that EASA will bring is the end to individual countries having theyr own private rules like this.

212man
15th Dec 2004, 15:51
Thanks TBC, JAR FCL-2 is still specific, though, and this is probably what PLD are complying with.

JAR–FCL 2.245 Type ratings – Validity,
revalidation and renewal
(See Appendices 1 and 3 to
JAR–FCL 2.240)

(a) Type ratings, helicopter – Validity. Type
ratings for helicopters are valid for one year from the
date of issue, or the date of expiry if revalidated
within the validity period.

Edited as Aesir got there first!

Aesir, this private rule is simply the CAA being realistic and appreciating the problems that can face operators if the OPC and LPC dates do not tally. It's a shame it wasn't sorted at JAA level before it went to print.

It will be interesting to see what further discussions take place before EASA adopt these rules.

Helinut
15th Dec 2004, 19:37
Don't hold your breath on assuming that all the national authorities will hold the EASA line................ :} :hmm:

Aesir
15th Dec 2004, 20:29
212 man:

Ohh yes I agree wholeheartedly, its ridiculous that both the LPC´s and OPC don´t expire at the end of the month.

Typical non-communication between the FCL & OPS teams.

Floppy Link
15th Dec 2004, 21:36
Thanks folks
I'm still confused, but 'twas always thus...
at least I have more info now
Cheers
Russell
:ok:

redbar1
16th Dec 2004, 08:14
Hi,
Before criticising too much, please read the FCL correctly. Quote from JAR-FCL 1.025/2.025(b)(2):
[(2) When issuing or revalidating/renewing a rating, the Authority may extend the validity period of the rating until the end of the month in which the validity would otherwise expire, that date remains the expiry date of the rating.]
This has been in FCL for a while. If some authorities choose not to use this, don't send the flak towards JAA.
:E
Cheers,
Redbar1

212man
16th Dec 2004, 16:09
There isn't a section 2.025 in the FCL-2 on the JAA web site; did you mean 2.245? If so then the exemption you mention is applicable to JAA registered a/c in non-member states or, non-member state a/c in JAA states.

redbar1
16th Dec 2004, 16:29

Use this (http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jars/444077.pdf) link, to JAR-FCL 2 on the JAA website, go to page 1-A-5, and read.

Cheers, Redbar1