PDA

View Full Version : runway threshold pub

Aerofoil
14th Dec 2004, 18:02
Hi all,

I was just wondering if someone could tell me the name of the pub which is on the threshold of one of the runways at Manchester airport?

Thanks in advance

Dave

eggc
14th Dec 2004, 18:05
it's The Airport Hotel...

Let the how good the robbies is debate commence ( again !! )

Scottie Dog
14th Dec 2004, 18:23
Aerofoil

As my esteemed collegue 'eggc' has already stated, the pub you are looking for is The Airport. I would however like to reassure all passengers that it is located alongside the threshold for 24R and not 'on the threshold'.

Having said that, the thought of a 'drive-thru' offering Robinsons is not such a bad idea!

chiglet
14th Dec 2004, 19:24
Yes it is "The Airport Hotel", but since the THF/Crowne Plaza pile was thrown up, [That was also called The Airport Hotel :rolleyes: :confused: ] The esteemed establishment has been known as "TheOld Airport Hotel". Nice pint of "Robbies" but a distinct lack of conversation sometimes.......
A "few" years ago two chaps were having a "quiet" pint in the beer garden...an EAL BAC111 wound up for departure, the air trembled, birds fell out of the trees, the men had to put their hands over the glasses to stop the beer spilling. The brakes were released, and in the characteristic plume of smoke, the BAC111 dissappeared over the "hump", finally to be seen climbing away.
Chap turns to his mate and says.."By 'eck, can you imagine that beggar wi'out them silencers ont' back?" [thanx to "grasscuttings, GATCO mag]
watp,iktch