PDA

View Full Version : Tern Hill Squirrel Incident?

Fg Off Max Stout
14th Dec 2004, 16:47
Heard a whisper today of an incident at Ternhill involving a Squirrel. I know nothing more. Anybody have any gen?

Stout

Yozzer
14th Dec 2004, 17:28
http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/uploads/sd723089_helicopter.jpg

That looks like an incident!

Shropshire Star online has the following:

A helicopter pilot has been rushed to hospital after he crashed at a north Shropshire army barracks and suffered multiple injuries.

The crash which involved an RAF Squirrel helicopter happened at the airstrip at Clive Barracks, Tern Hill, near Market Drayton, at 10.03am today.

Police from Market Drayton and paramedics from Shropshire Ambulance Service went to the crash site alongside firefighters from the base to help the pilot who needed hospital treatment.

The Army confirmed the pilot was a student on a solo mission and had flown in to Tern Hill from nearby RAF Shawbury.

He has not been named but is believed to be in his 30s.

The Army also confirmed and investigation was due to take place but it is thought the accident happened because the pilot had a hard landing.

The man's injuries are not believed to be life threatening and he was treated at the scene before being taken to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital by a land ambulance.

Staff at the gates of the barracks said there had been a crash and confirmed the airstrip was often used by both Squirrel and Griffin helicopters from RAF Shawbury

PPRuNeUser0211
14th Dec 2004, 18:20
ouch.... Had to be a solo stude tho didnt it!

Hope the fella is alright, 30's? Hmm, army?

jayteeto
14th Dec 2004, 18:39
Or a fast jet x-over (eg: loss of bang seat cat) or a nav to pilot cross or an overseas student or the press got it wrong or......... nah you are right... must be army. :ok:

Big Cat Handler
14th Dec 2004, 19:07
How about a CFS trainee? Wherever he's from, glad he's going to be okay. And it isn't even one of Lizzie's cabs! Does that mean we don't have to pay for it?

JNo
14th Dec 2004, 19:44
Any landing you can walk away from.........or limp perhaps?

Canary Boy
14th Dec 2004, 20:03
A. Thank heavens he's (relatively) OK. :ok:

B. Wonder if the concept of a Squirrel cabriolet will ever 'take off'? :yuk:

ACW599
14th Dec 2004, 20:24
Very glad the pilot is OK.

Given that the DHFS aircraft are COMR, is the investigation handled by a military BoI or the AAIB?

John

Olly O'Leg
14th Dec 2004, 20:28
:ok: Glad the guy's going to be okay :ok:

"it is thought the accident happened because the pilot had a hard landing" - well smite me with a mighty barge pole. Who the hell writes these things??? Take one look at the picture (speaks all those words, it does)!!!!!

How many other stupid comments do these people come up with!?!? Any howlers people remember?

Canary Boy
14th Dec 2004, 20:38
Olly

This should probably be in 'things I wish I'd never said'...

Seen in a flight safety publication (civ if memory serves) recently, as advice to controllers..."a single engined aircraft with an engine failure will need to land as soon as possible....."

No sh1t Sherlock

Back on topic;

ACW

Could be either I would imagine (a combination of both?)

jEtGuiDeR
14th Dec 2004, 20:48
Hope whoever he is, has a swift recovery, and remember, every landing is a controlled crash!! :D

Training Risky
14th Dec 2004, 21:48
Better to stop, then land...... rather than land, then stop:ok:

Best of luck to the army/FJ x-over dude!

wg13_dummy
14th Dec 2004, 21:51
Ooops!
Good news he's ok.
No doubt he'll be straight on a QHI course!!:p

Olly O'Leg
14th Dec 2004, 21:51
Must admit, I don't fly helos, but I'm still not too keen on how the cockpit appears to have disintegrated at the front. Or do we think that section was cut out for the rescue?

RS15
14th Dec 2004, 23:11
pilot is ok. nope, the cab was not cut off by the (v prompt) rescue crews - just kind of does its own thing in helos!! await the BOI...:ok:

jayteeto
14th Dec 2004, 23:24
Cars fall apart after minor crashes now. Motorbikes are terrible, they are nearly always written off. Why not helicopters? If the cab takes the impact and I survive, then thats fine by me.
"Chief!! Can I have another helicopter please? This one is broken"

delta96
15th Dec 2004, 08:15
I wonder how much of that damage was caused by Trumpton.
Give them an excuse to get the hydraulic boltcutters out....

Whipping Boy's SATCO
15th Dec 2004, 09:06
It wasn't that long ago that, driving up the A41, you could regularly observe a Gazelle that had suffered a "heavy landing".

Hope the chap(ess) was well enough to recount tails of daring do in the bar last night.

teeteringhead
15th Dec 2004, 14:14
How about a CFS trainee? CFS studes don't fly solo, only "mutual".

Stuff
15th Dec 2004, 14:16
I wonder how much of that damage was caused by Trumpton. Give them an excuse to get the hydraulic boltcutters out....

In that situation I'd much rather the fire and rescue crews cut everything in sight to get me out. I'm not a helicopter pilot but I'll guess that a heavy landing doesn't do your back much good.

Those same fire crews might save your life someday so lets not go poking fun at them even in jest ;)

Hope the pilot has a swift and full recovery.

airborne_artist
15th Dec 2004, 14:25
Those same fire crews might save your life someday so lets not go poking fun at them even in jest

Fireman Sam/Trumpton can take the banter - and give it back in spades - so no need for you to go all serious on us, Stuff.

Unless you are one yourself and about to put in a claim for 30% while baby sailors/soldiers/airman do the job .....

oldbeefer
15th Dec 2004, 16:02
You may be able to see how the 'crash resistant seat' has done its job very well. Also that despite the machine thrashing itself to bits, the (student) pilot was in the pub the same evening! First serious incident in (probably) more that 130,000 hours of student flying must speak volumes on the overall standard of instruction and supervision!!

ShyTorque
15th Dec 2004, 21:56
Hey, Oldbeefer,

I was a bit concerned about you when I heard it was a chap in his 30's! ;)

PurplePitot
16th Dec 2004, 11:13
That'll be the 1930's .....:ok:

How you doing oldbeefer? Long time no see....

Leprechaun
16th Dec 2004, 12:08
This'll make a hoofing dit for the bar at wallop! Must have been one hell of a landing! A couple of my oppos have bent squirrels in the past but this pongo has really raised the bar!
Seriously though, glad he wasn't badly hurt and back in the bar that evening!

Leps

MightyGem
19th Dec 2004, 08:46
CFS studes don't fly solo, only "mutual".
Did wonder whether it was a Mutual Engine Off sortie. Best trip of the course! :eek: :eek:

aytoo
19th Dec 2004, 13:51
...not just tales of 'derring do' in the bar. I understand that he entered the pub where his course mates (and matesses) were, to a spontaneous standing ovation. Big respect!

Just glad the squishy part of the aircraft survived relatively unscathed - metal is easily replaced or fixed, after all.

Spanish Waltzer
22nd Jan 2005, 09:44
A month on, does anyone have any reliable information as to the cause yet?

Training Risky
24th Jan 2005, 13:44
I understand that he entered the pub where his course mates (and matesses) were, to a spontaneous standing ovation ]

Is a female mate not still called a 'mate'?

Or was that some overly cautious attempt to avoid any labelling as sexist?