PDA

View Full Version : Continental Transatlantic Flights

Gouabafla
14th Dec 2004, 09:53
Another of those boring, what's the service like on this airline threads!

Over the last few years I've tried to fly Star Alliance in order to build up my miles. But now that Air France and KLM are linked, it may be time to change (I fly to West Africa and Nairobi a lot) and give my custom to SkyTeam. However, I have to fly across the pond three or four times a year and I've not been at all impressed by Delta or North West in the past (poor IFE and pay for your own booze!).

So what about the other Sky Team option, Continental? I've never flown with them and I've got no idea what to expect. How do they compare to Delta and NWA and to United?

Thanks for any advice.

Cargo_ramp
14th Dec 2004, 14:28
Depends on which airport your gonna fly from i think. I believe CO's 777 from Gatwick and maybe LHR all have decent IFE...but CO's services from EDI, GLA, and possibly some other UK airports use their old 757/767 which use the old tv stuck on the roof, so IFE isn't all that great. I would imagine best thing to do is check their website or check www.airlinequality.com and find out what they really have to offer. On how CO compares with the other airlines u mentioned..well I've never travelled on Delta...apparently ( so i've read a million times on this site before) the cabin crew of NWA are called the witches of Gatwick...u make your own conclusions of that..and United..well i've only flown them twice..and they were quite good. Check the wesite..its all u need

DC10FAN
14th Dec 2004, 17:19
Just clarifying a few points; Continental don't fly from LHR and the 767s are at most 4 years old. IMO their service is very good; certainly better than KLM/AF. As mentioned, I would avoid the 757s as they don't have PTVs. However all 767s do have PTVs along with the B777s. There is quite a long/recent thread on www.airliners.net stating which a/c operate on which routes..

Avman
14th Dec 2004, 22:39
Did BRU-EWR with CO (B767-400) and EWR-AMS with NW (DC-10) last year, in Business Class. Having heard how much better they (CO) are supposed to be in comparison to other US carriers, I personally found them no different. Both the CO and NW sectors were reasonable and equal in service.

flybhx
21st Dec 2004, 19:50
Last few times with Continental I've found them to be very much improved and have human staff as opposed to the witchcraft set mentioned earlier. KLM were also OK. Only other US Airline I'd bother with across the pond is United

phil_2405
21st Dec 2004, 21:48
I had a friend who flew with CO from BHX to New York recently, the outbound flight was delayed by approx 4hrs and on the inbound the IFE TV's did not work at all!! Not brilliant service but I have heard plently of good things bout CO in the past.