PDA

View Full Version : To do or what to do?

scientifics
14th Dec 2004, 09:47
This is how I stand at the moment. I am 26 years old and I work in Engineering and I have always dreamed of becoming a pilot, I know join the club!! I have decided to go for it, I do not want to end up regretting not doing it, and I do not think I could face the thought that I stood by and let things fly past me with out giving it a good go. Hopefully sometime in 2005 I will start my training.

I have posted before about various issues but one seems to be unclear. When I start my training I will go from a few hours to about 300. We all know that jobs for people with low hours are few and far between, what am I best doing? Am I better off paying for an instructor rating and teaching to get up to 1000 hours or am I better off paying for a type rating, say on a 737 or 320? I know this is a grey area and some of you are vehemently opposed to doing this but it has crossed my mind. Are there any private jet companies in the UK that take low hours etc? What about cargo jobs?

I know at this stage this is all hindsight but I wish to plan methodically what and where and how much everything will cost me. Thanks in advance for your advice

MJR
16th Dec 2004, 09:35
I would plan to both matey, neither of these options will provide any guarantee of getting a job. Instruction is good fun and a valuable experience but the pay is crap and it will take you a couple of years to get a 1000 hours. Alternatively a TR will cost £15k - £20k and give you one hour on type. If you dont get a job having done the TR what will you do then? Whatever you decide to do, get the ball rolling ASAP as you are slipping out of the best window of opportunity at your age.

cheers

MJR