PDA

View Full Version : Overqualified?

palgia
14th Dec 2004, 01:19
Hello everyone.

I know this might sound like a stupid question, and in fact I think its sad that one has to worry about these things... but in today's corporate culture nothing amazes me anymore.

I'd like to know if anyone has heard of any pilots being denied jobs because they were, in the opinion of the airline, "overqualified"?

I'm interested in both US airlines and european airlines.

I personally know several individuals who have been denied positions in the US because they were overqualified (one for example held a PhD and was applying for a position for which the minimum req was a bachelor's). I also know a person who omitted several degrees she had to avoid being discriminated and was terminated two years after being hired when the company found out she had lied in the job application.
Neither one of these individual were pilots.

What I heard was that the reason they don't want overqualified employees is that they would have to pay them more because of their higher qualifications.

Has anyone heard of similar stories with regards to flying jobs?

I am interested in knowing because I hold 2 bachelor's degrees and I am interested in starting my third degree (I have a flying job with a university so I enjoy free tuition). All degrees are aviation-related. I had a couple of people tell me NOT to pursue a third degree becaue "It might hurt me in the future".

What are your thoughts/opinions/experiences on this topic?

Thanks,

palgia

NIJASEA
16th Dec 2004, 18:12
HI GUESS YOU WILL BE SHOCKED TO LEARN THAT I WAS REFUSED A FEW JOBS IN THE UK BECAUSE I WAS OVER QUALIFIED. I HAD AT THE TIME 3500 TOTAL FLYING HOURS AND 3150HOURS TURBO PROP INC. DASH-8. WAS TOLD TO TRY THE JET BOYS.

Blinkz
16th Dec 2004, 19:34
maybe you were rejected because you replied to their emails in caps? :suspect:

S.71
20th Dec 2004, 14:48
Wouldn't it be better to pursue honours or post graduate qualifications (ie dip or cert) to augment the knowledge you have gained from the previous degrees? Also, I believe it may demonstrate a stronger level of commitment and application to a prospective employer.

I was considering doing the same as yourself, trying a completely new degree (it's an addicition isn't it?) but then decided to complete my Masters next year in a field I have already studied. I shall then wait until I have a secure flying job before commencement of doctoral studies. This being primarily due to the fact that several people (aviation based mentors) have advised very strongly against pursuing a doctorate before having found employment as flight crew. I believe a third degree may be held in the same manner/regard.

Hope this helps? and it is not stating what may be seemingly obvious to you already!?

Good luck with the studies nonetheless!

:cool: s.71

Re-Heat
21st Dec 2004, 21:06
A company with that attitude would not be one for which I would choose to work! Go for it and add as many strings to your bow as you want, provided that you don't appear to be a serial qualification-acquirer...