PDA

View Full Version : The future of the industry-Pilot training and Retention

SASless
13th Dec 2004, 17:08
PHI in the USA has requested a waiver of some rules if they create a "central" EMS training facility. The utility operators continue to be confronted by a lack of experienced production longline pilots. Pilots and operators remain in a quandry about the value of engine off landing practice both in single and twin engine machines.

Just what is the future? How do operators pay to train pilots in very specialized skills and at the same time service their customers in a cost effective manner? Someone has to pay for the training costs, insurance costs, and other costs. That person is ultimately the customer. How do we do that?

What innovative ways are there to accomplish our training, do the kinds of training we need to do.....any ideas out there?

S76Heavy
13th Dec 2004, 19:54
The way I see it, the regulating authority will have to issue more stringent requirements for training and experience, which will create a level playing field so everybody can and will up their rates to comply. Especially oil companies can afford higher rates, they just don't want to.

One way for other lines of work to benefit would be to rotate oil patch pilots through jobs like EMS and other things so you get more experienced pilots with IFR currency (at least that would be the case if such a scheme would be intoduced in Europe) into otherwise low-hours long hours jobs.
This would also open up spaces for low timers to get started as copilots and gain experience.

joedirt
13th Dec 2004, 20:04
"waiver of some rules"....:rolleyes:

Seem's more like a PHI costreduction excercise ....do they really care ?

SASless
13th Dec 2004, 20:19
If PHI can reduce training costs by running a centralized facility and bring their pilots to the training center....what is wrong with that concept?

Why should more regulation even the playing field....do not the current regulations apply to all operators? Is it the regulations or the enforcement that is in need of improvement?

joedirt
13th Dec 2004, 21:03
here goes my dime....
Reduction of training cost by centralizing the facility will be countered by cost of travel and motels/hotels ( they'll look at the facts AFTER they get the bill), and training will inevitably get to expensive and brought back to the respective bases.
Then the scratchback starts to recuperate the lost money for this
"centralized facility ", and the pilots get a whack in their pay.
They then leave for more beneficial work and more "new" pilots need training.
Just my take on it, and I've been wrong many times before :uhoh:

rotorcaptain
13th Dec 2004, 21:57
PHi has been conducting initial and GOM recurrent training centrally in Lafayette for years. EMS recurrent training is conducted at the field locations. The new "EMS Academy" is a response to the lack of qualified pilots meeting the CAAMTs guidelines. CAAMTs is not a regulatory agency so "a waiver of some rules" is a bit of semantics. The academy will take lower time GOM pilots and ready them for the EMS experience. They will stay in the GOM until they have enough hours and experience to join the EMS ranks.

ATPMBA
14th Dec 2004, 16:46
Training costs have risen dramatically.

Initial checkout in a B206 from Bell rips $10,000 USD apart.

I can get a B-747 type rating in a sim for $7,500.

SASless
14th Dec 2004, 17:37
Wonder what Flight Safety's prices look like for S76 and Bell 412 ratings in their sim's....bet yer bippy it isn't anywhere near $7,500 as quoted for the 747 conversion. Where can you get a 747 rating that cheaply?:(

paco
15th Dec 2004, 06:20
Currently working on something like that - www.captonline.com

Phil