PDA

View Full Version : Sydney KT storm

Raider1
13th Dec 2004, 08:03
I hear that a couple of jets received some hail damage on approach Sydney 1615-1700 this arvo. Any further info?
Unfortunately it also seems that a few staff will be disappointed with the appearance of their cars when they get back to the staff car park.
Wasnt there at time but believe the hail was huge.

Raider1
13th Dec 2004, 09:43
Just got home. TV news reported 3 QF and 2 DJ jets suffered some hail damage:(

Ultralights
13th Dec 2004, 09:51
not surprised! i was in the city when it hit! got a few shots! ill post em later

passing through the toll booths on the harbour bridge, couldnt see the bridge! heaviest rain i have seen in a looooong time. almost as bad as the last big hail storm to hit the eastern suburbs (cant rember the date)

Keg
13th Dec 2004, 10:34
Not much hail at Cronulla but vis at the worst of it was down to about 400 metres. I don't EVER recall it being that heavy at home. You could hear it coming though. It sounded like a freight train and looked like nothing I've seen in a while!

Hope not too many cars were damaged at work! :{

Capt Claret
13th Dec 2004, 13:33
From ABC News OnLine (my bolding)
Severe storms leave air travellers stranded
By Philippa McDonald and Nick Edwards

Severe storms have left thousands of people stranded around the country due to flight cancellations.

Sydney, Canberra and Brisbane airports were all closed for an hour this afternoon, causing delays of up to several hours for thousands of peak-period passengers.

"It's been pretty crazy but I've got to say all of the passengers have been really, really understanding," Qantas check-in agent Jules Phegan said.

A wild storm at Sydney airport resulted in hail damage to up to eight Qantas jets and three Virgin Blue aircraft.

They remain out of service and several hundred passengers en route to Sydney have had to stay overnight in Adelaide, Cairns and Brisbane.

The storms also caused delays to other Sydney transport services and the death of one man.

Train services on the Newcastle and central coast lines are still being delayed in both directions, with the severe weather damaging overhead power supplies.

The thunderstorms brought heavy rain and large hailstones to much of southern Sydney, causing localised flooding and traffic chaos.

There were a number of serious road accidents, with a male truck driver killed in crash with another truck and three cars on the M5 motorway.

Laura Goodin from the State Emergency Service says crews were called out to storm-affected areas in Sydney and around Lismore in the state's north.

"Most of the damage has to do with heavy rain, although there is some damage to rooves from a little bit of hail," she said.

Severe storm warnings are still in place for most of the state.

I've also heard that there were a couple of lighnting strikes at Tulla.

Don Esson
13th Dec 2004, 20:17
"A wild storm at Sydney airport resulted in hail damage to up to eight Qantas jets and three Virgin Blue aircraft. "

At the risk of being branded a cynic, I await with interest to hear the bleats from the Brisbane bunker as to who is to blame for the damage! Surely it wasn't an act of God?

I also wonder why Qantas own 'jets' while Virgin have things called 'aircraft'.

Captain Can't
13th Dec 2004, 20:59
I heard that it was 7 QF a/c out - mostly 737s... Taxiing in after the party there were 73s parked everywhere... total chaos! I believe that there were also 2 737s and a 'bus in YWLM... ? :ouch:

Wirraway
14th Dec 2004, 02:07
Tues "The Australian" late news

Hail damage grounds planes
By Annabelle McDonald and Greg Roberts
December 14, 2004

FLIGHTS from Sydney airport face cancellation today after at least 10 planes were damaged by hail during extreme storms yesterday.

Ominous ... Storm clouds over Sydney / Phil Hillyard

At least six Qantas planes are understood to have been damaged by hail and were grounded last night to be examined, while three Virgin Blue planes also were inspected for damage.

A Virgin Blue spokeswoman said at least six flights were either cancelled or delayed last night because of the potential damage, and today's flight schedule could be affected.

Yesterday's downpour of golfball-sized hailstones and torrential rain left Sydney airport in chaos. "For about 55 minutes, arriving flights had to circle the airport, while departing flights had to wait," a Sydney Airports Corporation spokeswoman said.

"Dozens of flights, domestic and international, were affected. Thousands of people were delayed. It is one of the airport's busiest times," she said.

The Australian

===========================================

Ultralights
14th Dec 2004, 08:00
hail damage is no real problem, for Qf anyway, nothing a few tonnes of Jetflex (bog) cant fix! worked last time!

tip, never buy a second hand Qf aircraft that was in a hail storm!

PW1830
14th Dec 2004, 10:09
Ultra, accepting that a "few tonnes" of bog is an exaggeration, but acceptable with the appropriate performance decrements applied, share with us your knowledge that subsequent repairs have been not been carried out to the required standard

tipsy
15th Dec 2004, 04:15
WTF is a "KT" storm:\ :confused: :rolleyes:

tipsy

*Lancer*
15th Dec 2004, 06:24
Kingsford-Smith with a silent, absent 'T' ? :O

Ultralights
15th Dec 2004, 06:32
after the last big hail storm that hit sydney, (cant remember the date) the one that did heaps of damage in eastern syd, almost all the hail damaged panels on the wings and vertical stab were simply bogged up and painted! if my memory serves me, VH OJA flew for several months with nothing but high speed tape over the dents on the vertical stab.

between all the damaged aircraft repried in those hangers, i wouldnt be surprised if the total weight of the "jetflex" exceded a tonne!
dont forget, QF E&M is ISO 9001, they can approve and certify their own repairs!

Raider1
15th Dec 2004, 07:43
KT is an international term for airport. eg Sydney KT = Sydney airport.:D

tipsy
15th Dec 2004, 08:08
New one on me,

KT:confused:

it's not:
IATA
ICAO
SEATO
NATO or even K1W1

or any other abbreviation that I have known during the last 35+ years in the airline game unless it's a loose SITA/Airimp type telex addy

tipsy
walks away sratching his head in wonder at such a creative imagination

NAMD
15th Dec 2004, 08:24
Ultralights, are you really a LAME and do you have a good idea of structures and the SRM? Most Hori/ vert stab damage is allowable per the SRM to be taped up, inspected regularly and repaired a loooong way down the track. If memory serves, dents on the leading edges can be upto 1 inch deep and allowable per SRM for continued ops (although deeper ones have to be filled prior to taping). A lot of wing panels are tertiary structure, unless it's delaminated the panel, what's wrong with filling the panel if it is an approved method?

Do you have an idea how CAR35 approvals work? I didn't think ISO9001 had anything to do with CAR35 approvals. If your friendly CAR35 person approves repairs without Boeing approval, it can make things very tricky when trading the aircraft in, or when the Lease company has there regular look-see. Generally TAR's/EO's whatever you want to call them are these days only extensions to fly until a boeing approved permanent repair can be done.

If it's outside SRM it gets fixed, or CAR35 approval to go, usually with repetitive inspection for a set period of time, then permanent repair. End of story.

I don't know a LAME that would do otherwise.

Ultralights
15th Dec 2004, 08:50
most, if not all the damage on the vertical surfaces were within SRM limits, dont forget, the hail not only dented and delaminated the fixed wing panels, but almost all the flight control surfaces as well, and a good % of these exceeded SRM limits. the max dent depth on leading edge panels wqs only about 1/2 in, and not to mention almost every dent was delaminated in the dent area, and total area of dents on the panel meant that the total delamed surface exceeded SRM limits.

the rapid bog/fill and paint was done so no pax with cameras saw anything.

maybe its just me, but i believe in doing a job right the first time, to the best of ones ability, and the simple fact was i was not satisfied with the repairs undertaken for the level of damge and possible consequences involved.

fortunatly all the control surfaces were repaird to required standard eventually.

Eastwest Loco
15th Dec 2004, 09:04
KT may not be IATA, but it is SIPP.

Back in the dark days, when dinosaurs roamed the earth and aeroplanes had hite T's or red A's on the tail, there was a thing called a teletype machine.

Airlines worldwide identified their different locations with a set of logical codings, so anyone worldwide could ( with a margin of error for local foibles) contact them. For instance:

MEBRMAN - MEB = Essendon (the original location of their mainframe) RM (reservations mainframe) AN (airline) - thus with KT as airport, KK as city office, BB as baggage master, RR as reservations, SS as sales and FF as freight, there was and still is a fair chance you could get your teletype to the right people in an interline friend.

Thus-

MELKTAN - Ansett general - Melbourne airport.
DXBBBEK - Emirates baggage master Dubai
JNBSSCE - Comair Sales - Johannesburg.

The system survives even now, and if you can monitor internal transactions in an airline mainframe, you will see the status nessages (onsale - on request - flight closed) rattling back with ferocious intensity between mainframes.

A very old, but incredible network for it's time, and one that is still extensively used. We are talking about the original intranet which was running far ahead of Airline computer systems, and used to rely on operators punching like crazy into the old Siemens teletype terminals with everything from new reservations, to stopsale advices and aeroplane departures.

I am pleased to say that I have used the system extensivly from 19 years of age as a newbie in TN reservations, and still remain in awe of the technology at that distant time.

Hope this helps with some history.

Best all.

EWL

Howard Hughes
15th Dec 2004, 09:33
So are there any photos yet?

I'd be happy with pics of the storm or the bogged up planes.:D

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

NAMD
15th Dec 2004, 09:35
Okay, granted, they like to do stupid things like that, to keep them out of the public eye.

If a temporary repair has a CAR35 approval, you are then covered in the event of something happening. A "professional" (uni graduate) Engineer has done the number crunching and decreed that all is good, subject to particular inspections etc, and that so preparation for full repairs can be carried out, has said that it can fly for xxx hours before repair, and put his/her name and reputation and CASA authority on it, what is the problem with signing it off?