PDA

View Full Version : United to Dublin??

Platinum206
13th Dec 2004, 00:16
Heard a rumour today that United Airlines are to start services to Dublin
Summer 2005, alongside the already announced American Airlines routes.

Any truth in this rumour, if so any further details??

Regards,
P206

gibney85
13th Dec 2004, 11:05
Yep, they announed it over a week ago

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041206/dam013_1.html

Cyrano
13th Dec 2004, 12:12
Gibney, we know about the AA service, thanks (I think maybe that's why Platinum206 referred to it as "already announced";) ) - the question was specifically about United.

P206: if UA started Dublin service it would have to go via SNN or be complemented with a separate SNN service (as AA are doing) - unless the stopover falls away completely before then, which I don't think is on the cards. Could happen, but UA isn't flying transatlantic 757s for thinner destinations like SNN, and so would need to put a 767 in there. Alternatively, would a one-stop service out of DUB really be competitive with the existing/coming non-stops?

akerosid
13th Dec 2004, 16:35
I agree with Cyrano. There is simply too much cost for UA. AA has taken the shortest possible route to SNN with the smallest equipment. UA won't want to compete against AA/EI on BOS-SNN or EI/CO on NYC-SNN, so the SNN route pole-axes them (and us, as ever :mad: ). It would be good to see them (but hopefully not on ORD-DUB, but preferably IAD/SFO), but UAL is still in a critical financial situation and the last thing it would want is the nonsense of the stopover at this time (like the rest of us need it:* )

It's not impossible that a deal could be done in time for next Summer, but it's still very much to hope for and neither side seems to be giving way. I'm hoping a side deal can be done between Ireland and the US, but that's still subject to EU approval. One possibility is that if the final EU/US deal comes to fruition, Ireland could offer it a smooth passage (no veto/obstructions), as long as the EU allowed Ireland to strike a deal with the US, but that's unlikely, I think.

So, no UAL to DUB as far as I can see.

We'll have three US carriers to Ireland next Summer anyway (DL, AA, CO), so we're not doing too badly.

EIDW Spotter
13th Dec 2004, 23:14
And dont forget US also as I can see them coming through teh current Chapter 11 mess they got themselves into. Flew with them last year very nice airline to fly TA with.

Platinum206
14th Dec 2004, 00:37
Thanks for that lads, I'l have to go back to the guys who told me this and and show them these facts!

I have to agree. US are quite nice to fly TA, especially when your up the front on the way over, with no extra charge ;)

However not so sure they are definitely gonna be around summer05.