PDA

View Full Version : FRI Repayments - the news!

aytoo
12th Dec 2004, 21:36
Many of you will have followed this one over the last couple of years. It is the sorry tale of a retention measure that has backfired spectactularly on the military. There were at least 27 members of the Army Aeroplane Club that had been 'asked' politely to hand back their sums various, having already completed the time effectively 'bought' by the award of the FRI. Several of those (self included) felt moved to resign over it, as voting with ones feet does seem to gain the attention of our lords and masters, albeit only briefly.

I am delighted to report here that the Armed Forces Personnel Administration Agency (AFPAA) have agreed with the legal advice that those of us that it affected already had. A defence of 'Estoppel' (no, not a made-up word for scrabble, a real one) has been accepted. That means, in short, that the military have accepted that they were at fault, and that the monies paid to us is safe. It also means that a 'scrutiny of your pay account will be undertaken within the next few weeks' and those who did have it deducted or withheld against gratuity or pension should be reinstated in full.

Wonder how they will work out the lost interest on that one then?

Anybody need more info, please pm me.

MrBernoulli
12th Dec 2004, 21:44
Bloody hell! Didn't even know this was going on!

"Estoppel"? Wha.....?

BEagle
12th Dec 2004, 22:05
Estoppel - A bar preventing one from making an allegation or a denial that contradicts what one has previously stated as the truth.

Riiiggggggghhhhhhht

But good result - sounds like another MoD beancounter cock-up has been properly exposed!

jayteeto
12th Dec 2004, 22:53
Excellent news!! I tried to fight the case of one of my army blokes who did the time then had to pay the money back from his gratuity. I was told to get back in my box!! He is in Australia now, so if anyone has contact for Basher, please make sure he gets to know.

airborne_artist
13th Dec 2004, 06:11
Wonder how they will work out the lost interest on that one then?

A good start would be the rate of interest paid by the Inland Revenue on tax over-payments. You should be able to find it easily enough if you search their site. It would be hard for MoD to get away with less, but no doubt some bean-counter will try

Mikehegland
13th Dec 2004, 18:03
Top news although thats the first I have heard of any snags with the FRI. Most guys I talk to about it are delighted with it.

MightyGem
13th Dec 2004, 19:05
I'd be delighted as well if someone wanted to pay me many £1000s to do something that I was going to do anyway!

aytoo
13th Dec 2004, 19:33
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Basher was info'd by me before I even thought of posting it here, but good to know he is still thought about by some of you out there.