PDA

View Full Version : I'm just starting out, what should i do?

wannab89
12th Dec 2004, 19:59
hi

I want to become a commercial pilot and don't know much about how to.
I am coming up to the part of my life when i have to make choices about what i want to do. A levels

I have no previous flying experience except a breif lessons at work experience but i am going to start gliding soon and hopefully next summer start training for a ppl.

The only real ways of becoming a pilot for me is getting a sponsorship or the RAF as i my parents couldn't afford self sponsorship.

I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what i should do to be appealing to the prospective employers what qualifications etc.

I would be really thankful for any help

Cheers
Jamie

Willy Miller
13th Dec 2004, 10:01
Have you applied for an RAF flying schorarship?

You don't have to be a cadet, just walk into your local CIO and ask about it.

Good luck!

Regards

WM

Timeout
13th Dec 2004, 10:21
Unfortunately, you do now have to be an ATC cadet to be awarded a RAF Flying Scholarship.

I was awarded an RAF Flying Scholarship back in 1999, and I was not an ATC cadet. However, the rules have now changed. If I'm correct they only offer 10 hour scholarships now.

The Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators (www.gapan.org) offer full PPL sponsorship. I was awarded full PPL sponsorship from the Guild, and I can highly recommend them. They should be advertising shortly for the 2005 applicants.

The Air League also offer partial sponsorship.

Good luck.

wannab89
13th Dec 2004, 17:47
thanks for the advice. what do you need to be awarded one of these scholarships?

boeingbus2002
13th Dec 2004, 21:46
You are doing the right thing by "immersing" yourself in the industry...gliding..ATC (if you decide). Its all character building stuff too..which is brownie points in an interview situation.

What ever you decide to do study wise...A-levels, university or not...choose subjects you enjoy and will do the best in.

Gapan and Air League are great ways for young people to get flying experience. Gapan now offers ATPL sponsorships too occasionaly.

Best of luck

jonathang
13th Dec 2004, 22:03
Hi wannab89,

You already have some good advice.

Here’s some more ;)

Join the Air Cadet's and progress into the University Air Squadron. This will guide you in the right direction to join the RAF as a pilot.

If you decide RAF isn't for you this will still give you valuable experience and flying training to apply for future sponsorships.

If you discover your ambitions are civil, CTC Aviation offer a Zero > Right hand seat (RHS) Sponsorship. You will be required to complete a multistage selection process detailed here:

http://www.ctcaviation.com/wings/

Air League: http://www.airleague.co.uk/

fastjet2k
14th Dec 2004, 20:20
In common with what everybody else is saying, the RAF and its affiliates can help you enormously - I would truly recommend joining the ATC, even if you have no interest in flying for the RAF and only want to fly commercially. Through them you can get your flying scholarship, but more importantly if you want to start doing some gliding, you can get that for free. When I was 16 I got a gliding scholarship through the ATC and finished up with about 10 hours, all free and all good training.

As it would appear you are already doing, continue to immerse yourself in everything related to aviation. Airlines now want to see potential pilots being very business aware and by just looking at Pprune, you're giving yourself a big advantage.

A-Levels wise, most sponsorships want to see evidence of Maths and a science based subject (Physics or Chemistry) and it wouldn't hurt to throw in a Business/Economics A-level for good measure. That being said, I chose Maths, Physics and Business and looking back, wish I'd chosen something I'd enjoyed as I would have done better! I've got away with it, but most airlines place a huge amount of emphasis on academic qualifications, simply so they have a way of screening people out from the huge number of applications. I would recommend going to all the airlines/groups that sponsor and getting details posted to you (CTC, Britannia, Gapan etc. etc.). After all, at some point they're the ones you'll need to satisfy that you are worth the investment.

As has been said to others in other threads, its well worth considering your options regards university. If you're adamant you're never going to self-sponsor, then going probably isnt a bad idea - mainly because you don't close off doors to other career paths should the worst happen and it not work out. However, if you're going to pay for your ATPL then it might be an idea not to spend the money on Uni as it probably won't help you enormously (although thats not to say it would be useless!).

Finally, just be yourself - spend as much time dealing with all things that are industry related as possible. I'm starting my training in Jerez in 6 weeks time and then coming back to a job. Up to this point, I've spent time in BA Engineering on work experience, worked on the ground for BA (Check-in, boarding, shadowing dispatch, ops overview) and worked as Cabin Crew. I feel that all this is very valuable to me as it gives me a better perspective of the 'bigger picture' and I'm sure it will help when I come back as an F/O. Take every opportunity that you get and I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.

Best of luck to you, it'll be tough but oh-so-worth-it!

FJ2k :ok:

wannab89
15th Dec 2004, 20:39
Thanks for the advice FJ2k just a quick question

how did you get work experience with BA i tried and they just sent me an automatic reply back saying they were to busy?

Cheers

fastjet2k
16th Dec 2004, 01:17
wannab89 - check your pm's