PDA

View Full Version : Brazil's Vasp Airline Fading From Market, Government Data Show

Panama Jack
11th Dec 2004, 20:03
Brazil's Vasp Airline Fading From Market, Government Data Show

Friday December 10, 12:38 PM EST

SAO PAULO -(Dow Jones)- Financially troubled Brazilian airline Vasp has dramatically lost market share and is fading from the scene, according to the monthly report released Friday by Brazil's Civil Aviation Department, or DAC.

All three of Vasp's main rivals gained at the stricken airline's expense, the report showed.

Vasp's market share fell to 1.39% in November compared with 11.2% in November 2003.

The company has been experiencing financial difficulties since the 2001 recession that hit the industry. Vasp has vowed to present a comprehensive debt payment plan before the end of the year.

The airline's debts include 760 million Brazilian reals ($1=BRL2.77) owed to the Federal Airport Authority, known as Infraero, for airport charges not paid since the 1990s.

Currently, Vasp is operating on a six-month emergency license granted by the federal government pending presentation of the comprehensive plan.

The DAC report showed Brazil's three other main airlines gaining at Vasp's expense: TAM SA's (TANC4.BR) market share rose to 39.2% in November compared with 34.8% in November 2003; Gol Linhas Aereas Inteligentes SA (GOL) increased its share to 23.9% compared with 19% a year ago, while Varig (VAGV4.BR) lifted its share to 33.4% compared with 32.7% seen in the previous November.

The DAC report showed the overall number of passengers on domestic flights in Brazil rising 12.4% in November compared with the same month a year ago, to 2.36 million passengers.

-By Rogerio Jelmayer, Dow Jones Newswires; 5511-3145-1478; [email protected]

AeroBoero
17th Dec 2004, 17:58
I spoke with an FA some days ago when I was renewing my medical and she told me that a lot of her colleagues had been sent home and some flights only get going when they a minimum number of seats filled.
Really going downhill.

broadreach
5th Jan 2005, 21:31
My morning walk passes the Varig/Vasp buildings at the south end of SDU in Rio. Since last Sunday 2 Jan at least, the Vasp building has a small, old-looking and noisy diesel generator chugging away at the front door with cables leading inside. Which I presume means the electricity company has cut off power for lack of payment and the genny is the only way to keep the lights on. There might be other reasons but I can't think of any.