PDA

View Full Version : Tasmanian turnover???

Bomber ARIS
10th Dec 2004, 23:21
On the A.F.A.P. website there appears yet another vacancy for a pilot at Rotor-Lift Helicopters in Hobart.

I visited the base a few years ago and it looked and sounded like a good deal, what with police/rescue work in the117 combined with sling/construction work in the squirrel, etc.

Does anyone out there have any clues about the apparently high turnover rate - it seems that this ad pops up every six months or so.

Thanks for all info/replies.

XV666
10th Dec 2004, 23:27
Bomber,

You don't know much about the owner/Chief Pilot, I take it?

:yuk: :rolleyes:

Bomber ARIS
11th Dec 2004, 10:30
heli, I guess not.

I only met the Deputy Chief Pilot, a bloke fresh out of the Kiwi Navy, and he apperared genuine. Maybe he's no longer there?

I'd be interested to hear more. (PM me if it's too hot for PPRuNe!)

WLM
12th Dec 2004, 03:35
Are you referring to P Elliot as the CP? if so there is nothing wrong with him and he's probably the fairest and non stuck up pilot/CP I had the chance to work with. This industry, specially in OZ is wrongly run by egoistic individuals that love to talk about others:yuk:

ApocalypseThen
12th Dec 2004, 04:37
http://www.tasmanianairrescuetrust.org/pages/about_us.htm

Roger Corbin appears to be the CP,

XV666
13th Dec 2004, 04:47
Bomber,

Check PM's :)

Love Monkey
16th Dec 2004, 23:11
I just think this post should be shuffled forward one more time....

What Red Line?
17th Dec 2004, 00:09
OK, some-one's got to be indelicate enough to ask.

What's the goods?

Bomber ARIS
19th Dec 2004, 20:46
Morning all,

After my opening question, heli was kind enough to PM me with information of interest.

If you ask, then also may you receive....

Max Dover
9th May 2005, 20:31
Another Ad for Pilot Postion:-

I see another ad for a position at the Hobart rescue operation.
What's going on? Do they have that many pilots that this is normal?
I thought I might move mum and the kids from NZ and apply but it's a long way from the main Aussie scene to find that when you get there are problems with the operation.
They seem to always have aircraft for sale too.
Does anybody have more info?

Thanks
MD

electron77
9th May 2005, 21:21
I Belong to an Engineering Company who contracts to RotorLift Helicopters for their Maintenance. The Amount of Staff Turnover, Pilots and Engineers they have had there is astronomical. The reason is simple, Roger Corbin.
Anyone who has dealt with this moron will know exactly what i mean. Its time he pulled his head in otherwise more and more people are going to leave. Pitty because it would be an excellent place to work!

Too Cloudy
9th May 2005, 22:52
It is/was the best place in Australia to fly a helicopter around. Hobart is a fantastic place to live and the police and ambulance staff associated with the helicopter are as good as any in Australia.

Credit where it's due, RC has an impressive facility.

I believe(but stand corrected) the contract is due for renewal in August. I'm not sure if it was a 4/5 year contract. It started in 2000.

Heli-Res would obviously have their eye on this one...should make for some agressive tendering.

two feet tango
9th May 2005, 23:19
In my travels I have also met a lot of pilots that have come from the Lismore Westpac EMS operation. It seems that is one place to stay clear of.

They have been tring to negotiate a new enterprise agreement for about a year - and are still going on it. I've heard that it is not a very nice place to work.

giveitsome
10th May 2005, 03:32
For those that are considering a sea change to Sunny Hobart, I offer the following.

Many of my close friends starrted and only lasted at Rotor Lift for 6-12 months due to surprise surprise political problems from the Chief not so good pilot . Guy is a joke and as a result burns off pilots faster than a CH-47 burns kero.

Be afraid, be very afraid. Tassy is an amazing place to fly around and in however small reward for dealing with numpty boy and his Kellogs corn flakes set of management styles. Remuneration is typical GA Crap. If you go make sure your don't enter the deal with your IF Hood still on.

IMHO

Give It some!!!!

:\

2beers
10th May 2005, 08:46
It's always nice to see someone registering only so that they can make an unbiased comment in one subject... :rolleyes:

/2beers

giveitsome
10th May 2005, 12:14
Fellas get a grip.

Last time I checked I was reading posts on PPRUNE (PROFESSIONAL Pilots rumour network) not PPMPHN (professional pilots my pu- - y hurts network).

Your posts are neither networking or add value. Get on 2 Player X-Box live and go the biff on each other over broad band or nobble off and leave the rest of to spread the cheer and talk pilot s - -t!!!

Get a life or send PM's to each other.

Give It Some!!!

:*

rotaryman
10th May 2005, 19:47
Bit like watching the Tennis! I was enjoying that........:sad:

two feet tango
10th May 2005, 21:14
Slanging matches are good fun, but I do believe that Too Cloudy is a well meaning chap that was just tyring to do the right thing. And I can vouch that his job swapping is because of employers being vindictive pricks that don't treat Regs and People as they should. I am glad that he has exposed some issues - it might protect people from getting hurt and ending up in the same situation as he did. As for Hobart - I haven't been there but it doesn't seem like a nice place with all these people coming and going.

On the other hand Max N2 - you simply seem to me to be not a very nice person. It is inappropriate to slang off at someone that is doing yourself no harm, and doing in their own mind what they believe is the correct thing to do. I do believe Too Cloudy has made apologies - and I reckon you would be one never to make appologies even when you know you are wrong.

As for your views on his business ventures - that must make you a communist.

If you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all. But you'd never listen to constuctive criticism or advice.....

John Eacott
11th May 2005, 01:19
Jason has flown for me in the past, and I would welcome him again: he has no problems that I know of! Anonymous slagging of him has no credibility here.

N2, CASA are quite discrete in their treatment of complaints, and I would be more than surprised if you (or any of us) were to be made aware of the outcome of any complaints, short of a prosecution through the courts. There are many other outcomes which would never be made public, whether complaints are proven or not.

sling load
11th May 2005, 01:24
Max N2,
I am not Too Cloudy. You appear to be the one with the ego problem here, i dont see how Too Cloudys first post was seen to drive an unwarranted personal attack by you based on hearsay information.

I think John Eacott has summed it up nicely.

Oogle
11th May 2005, 02:14
Would you guys give it a rest!!

Quit the bickering and get on with the job of addressing the topic (which I believe has been answered).

I am surprised you guys have time to do any flying because you all seem to be wasting alot of it on the computer passing out slangs at each other.

Grow up!

And no....... i am not Too Cloudy, Sling Load, John Eacott or the Queen Mother (RIP). I do like lollies though.:=

Nigel Osborn
11th May 2005, 02:38
As I don't know any of the players involved in the slanging & very little about Rotor Lift, I won't add comment about that part of the thread.
However I spent 7 years living & flying in Hobart in pre Rotor Lift days, so I can comment about that part of the thread. It is a great place to live, not as cold as people think nor as wet, Hobart is the second driest capital city after Adelaide. The air is clean, the mountains beautiful, the fish big,etc,etc.
My family still regret we moved on, so if there is a job there, take it, I'm sure the company can't be that bad.

PO dust devil
11th May 2005, 03:53
Personally I am with TC. Never known him to do a bad turn by anyone that didn"t deserve it.

DD

GROSSER
11th May 2005, 06:10
"Where there is smoke - there could be fire"

The pilot was originally hired by the operator based on his experience, qualification and I suppose ability. He would have had an interview with the CP/Owner, been hired and subsequently worked for a period before resigning or being sacked.
He must have had what the company wanted/needed at the time - but lets just give him the benefit of the doubt that perhaps during his time there he experienced things that obviously justified him taking a case to CASA.
The fact that he felt he needed and was justified to go to CASA over his concerns and with a case that I can comfirm CASA did finally act upon surely suggests the allegations were serious.
It was the way in which CASA conducted their audit and the fact that unlike Bali in Australia you are innocent until proven guilty that you may have formally seen nothing.
The fact that CASA found nothing serious to act upon may be their fault!

BTW - I checked the CP's ATO status on the web and for someone who has been around for a very short time even as a CP/CFI he has the collector's edition of delegations. Any ideas how this may have happened?

CASA - just priceless!

Steve76
11th May 2005, 23:52
I'm with you Rotaryman, shame we don't have pictures to go with the names :)
Interesting how one kiwi can great so much bad blood but there's nothing better than watching the aussies beat up on each other...its a win win situation ;)
Heck!, I think I might hang out in Dunnunda and Godzone more. Its much more interesting than listening to the poms bitching and worrying in here...
Game on team!
Lollies (candy): partial to licorice allsorts personally.
I would love to fly in Tassie.

ground effect
12th May 2005, 01:49
Steve 76 please check your PMs

chopperchav
12th May 2005, 07:30
What do you call an Australian with a sheep under one arm and a goat under the other?

Bisexual.

Max Dover
12th May 2005, 07:45
Meanwhile back to the original thread -

I have been talking to a few more people and it seems that the Hobart operation is being sold off.
Supposed to be bought by some Adelaide operator - I don't know who - but this might mean that the alleged problem CP/Owner might be gone.
So thanks to all you guys who give flying in Tassie the thumbs up - will help me to convince the missus!

Cheers
MD

XV666
12th May 2005, 09:59
Back on the thread (which was about the Kiwi Space Invader, I thought?!) Hobart's a wonderful place to live & fly. Still some reasonably priced property available, good living, and decent beer :ok:

If rumours are right and RC moves on, great, but pity the next place he haunts :rolleyes:

sling load
12th May 2005, 10:45
Max N2,
you have gone way over the top.
Enjoy your assets while you have them

giveitsome
12th May 2005, 12:00
Hey MD.

Hobart, like the boys have said is a great place. Yep still some bargains to found in the property stakes. WX can be very interesting with CAVOK to BKN below 400 from 0 to 6 secs, however this will ensure you think about fuel and having an escape option.

Winds during winter can also be a challenge for most Single Eng Machines with a small tail rotor. Due to the latitude some hell winds blow from the west wich is fine on the East coast at Low Level however rescues on the Western side means lots of planning and the middle of the island is Tiger country central with icing and Turb to contend with.

If you go you will definately enjoy. Make sure you don't inadvertantly end up on a job in an IFR environment with a VFR mind set. Fuel + LSALT = Options

Enjoy Mate. Hope this helps.

Give It Some!!!!

:}

Along for the ride
12th May 2005, 12:11
Max N2

Having flown with Too Cloudyover a lage part of his career and see him as one of the best SAR /EMS pilots around, I would suggest that he has been employed by these operators due to his skill, ability and professionalism, why else would he be highly sought after by all these professional helicopter operators?.

As for leaving these employers (mostly of his free will); it is well known that there are large number of operators in this induustry that let incompetant pilots and managers climb the corporate ladder to positions well beyong there abilities, take a look around.....

I would suggest that Too Cloudy leaves these employers becasue he just does not suffer fools.......!!.

:hmm:

Too Cloudy check PM

As for Too Cloudy leaving the VPAW, well, he probably did it for the same reason as everyone else who left before him......and since him.

He was probably sick of working his guts out trying to make a difference while at the same time incompetent managers were trying to shove a bat up his a***

I know, I was there...

As for Discipline and integrity, it is something Max N2 needs to get for himself........ and you can some from Too Cloudy, he has plenty to spare.

I dont know about all you people.....but I am only in this industry to feed my ego......isnt everyone else !!

belly tank
12th May 2005, 14:42
As "along for the ride" says "EGO" thats what were about we have to feed the monster :), after all we live and breath it, if we dont fly for a day the missus cops the ugly end of the sTick (that's if you still have one!!)

No offence intended "along for the ride".....just commenting mate!

look N2, TOO CLOUDY you guys need to sort it out , ive been watching this thread since it started and this is no place to air you dirty laundry,apart from being good to spend the first 15 mins at work with cofeee!, i dont know either of you from a bar but sort it out for christ sake!!

its a beautiful industry beside the backstabbing, bantering, EGO, oh whats he up to today, oh his my opposition so ill call the feds industry!!!...after all why did we learn to fly helo's in the first place. coz we love the job.!...wonderful people from many backgrounds!......come on guys lifes too short...and ive got tommorow off!.....whos shout bartender!....missus...oh.....gone to bed...looks like ill have to leave you guys to box it out..till next feud

BT :}

Along for the ride
13th May 2005, 00:01
Max N2

Mmmm......you must be a manager

Along for the ride
13th May 2005, 00:54
Max N2

funny you should mention 'confrontational'....I think we should all leave this whole topic alone.

skidbita
13th May 2005, 05:20
You guys should call Judge Judy, It sounds like the cases she is familiar with.... besides it would be entertaining seeing a bit of biff on the TV.:ok:

Heliport
13th May 2005, 19:54
We try very hard to avoid editing/deleting posts in Rotorheads, and it generally works well because most people know for themselves where to draw the line and don't need to be treated like kids. But, every now and again, some idiot comes along who leaves us no alternative.

Personal attacks on other contributors are not acceptable, nor are attempts to reveal true IDs behind usernames.

I think we're all entitled to a rest from Max N2's ranting drivel - especially the targets of his attacks who've both behaved with great restraint in the circumstances.

BTW, contrary to Max N2's wild claims, Too Cloudy and Sling Load are not the same person.

Heliport

PO dust devil
13th May 2005, 23:57
Thanks Heliport.

DD

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
14th May 2005, 00:10
Can we go back to the original thing now please ? No offence, but but this thread was good reading before this s**t.

NEO:ok:

gulliBell
14th May 2005, 04:41
The reason that RotorLift continually loses it's good pilots and engineers is that the Owner, who is also the CP, CFI, and the ATO, is a complete and utter jerk. He has to be the worst, diabolical, nutcase, that I have ever worked for or with in over 25 years in the industry. He abuses, screams at, and harrasses his staff at any opportunity. He consideres himself to be god, above repoach and never makes a mistake. Truth is he's just a bull****ter and to make matters worse he's not a very good pilot, although he considers himself to be the best in the world. I'm suprised that he has not killed himself and/or a crew and passenges yet, especially at night. He has crashed 5 times that I know of, and what do you know, he doesn't think any of them were his fault. If you are thinking of applying, forget it. Don't lower yourself to that level just to get an endorsement on a twin, or a CIR. Guys have been there for over two years have not yet go their CIR as the CP knows that as soon as they get it, they'll leave. To the best of my knowledge 18 pilots have left in 3 years, and he only employs 4 or 5 at a time. He can't get a full-time LAME beacuse they know about him. Enough said?? The minions like us in the industry need to stand up to jerks like this. I know the truth, I put up with him for long enough.

ground effect
14th May 2005, 06:38
ding! ding! ding!....round two :E

belly tank
14th May 2005, 12:20
"like the sands through the hour glass so are the days of our lives" :sad:

someone tellme when match piont is on ill come back and watch the last rally! :ok: