PDA

View Full Version : Butane Lighters

newflyer
10th Dec 2004, 14:57
Interesting to read that Butane lighters are to be banned from flights in the US within the next 60 days or so but why are books of matches still allowed?

I don't think that the TSA has a clue!

:ugh:

MSNBC - Butane Lighter Ban Article (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6680593/)

Diverse
10th Dec 2004, 16:25
Maybe the TSA is doing a nice little sideline selling lighters in arrivals halls.

;)

TightSlot
10th Dec 2004, 19:50
Does anyone else find it odd that it is judged appropriate to carry lighters in checked baggage, or am I missing something? (Usually, I am, and it's obvious!)
:O

PaperTiger
10th Dec 2004, 20:06
Lighters or matches may not be carried in checked bags (in the US), TS.
Prior to all(?) checked bags being X-rayed there was no way of enforcing this of course and I suspect a lighter still wouldn't be picked out.

TightSlot
10th Dec 2004, 21:34
Thanks, Tiger - Relief to know I've not lost the plot completely...

newflyer
10th Dec 2004, 22:16
Maybe it is because it is harder to confiscate items from checked baggage? So they didn't want to push their luck!

Find me at the used lighter stall - located in the arrivals hall!

Maybe the TSA is doing a nice little sideline selling lighters in arrivals halls.

blue up
11th Dec 2004, 07:29
I've seen this done.

Take a lighter, point it down the chute of a crapper, bend off the top so that the gas escapes, stand well back and supply a source of ignition.

Damn funny on a camping holiday, not so funny if you are in an aeroplane.

Maybe they've wised up to the fact that the lighters are damned dangerous. Have you seen how much actual gas there is in a lighter? Feeling lucky? Crack one open in a plastic rubish sack.

(Usual US legal safety waiver applies to this post)