PDA

View Full Version : Losing/burning/sinking/stashing your logbook

Barnstormer1982
10th Dec 2004, 14:17
Hi phellow ppruners,

I've just figured out that I would technically be dead in private flying terms if I lost my logbook (or have it made redundant in any possible form). Having flown a couple of A/C in different places from different owners, I would basically have to contact all airfields I've flown from/into and ask them to filter their logs for my name.

Has this ever happened to any one of you our have you heard of some poor guys who've faced this? Not that I am planning something here, but a problem identified is a problem half-solved, isn't it?

And now, fire at will.

Grainger
10th Dec 2004, 16:04
This has crossed my mind from time to time. I photocopy my pages and keep 'em as a backup.

Which reminds me, I haven't done it for a while.... I'll be back later ....

autosync
10th Dec 2004, 16:19
I think I am gonna invest in one of those Palm PCs some day as an extra back up, then uplaod it and leave it sitting in an email account that I can access if I ever need to.

I only fill my logbook out once every few months, and the more I do it the more I ask myself, whats the point, all my flights are on records between techlogs and company files, the only person who looks at my log book is me!!
I know plenty of pilots who havnt filled in there log book for the last several thousand hours!

Big Hilly
10th Dec 2004, 17:08
Have heard very good things about Skylog (http://www.skylogservices.co.uk/). Seems to be quite reasonably priced and cheaper than a PDA :O

BH

jabberwok
10th Dec 2004, 21:57
Good point Barnstormer.

I know someone who lost his logbook when he had to ditch his aircraft. Lost all the aircraft records too as he always carried those that the law said should always be IN the aircraft.

He was able to trace back some of his logbook entries but as he got further back in time they became harder and harder to obtain. He never did track down all his hours.

If you just lost your current log book it should not be too difficult to track the hours down but what if you lost the lot? The darned things are like gold dust..

jb

separator
11th Dec 2004, 01:14
I am often astounded to hear of logbooks and other such documents that have been destroyed after being inadvertently left in buildings that have been burnt down.

This has been known to occur even when the owner of these documents was thousands of miles away at the time.

It has also been known to occur when the documents had absolutely no need to be there in the first place.

sep

StbdD
11th Dec 2004, 02:14
Numerous excellent Logbook software programs exist. While it is a major pain to transpose the paper logs to digital it is well worth the trouble in most cases (strongly suggest you find a weekend during which you might not be tempted to imbibe).

The best of the programs allow you to produce tailored spreadsheets.

Their utility? Simple, when going for an interview one can print the logbook, print the tailored spreadsheets which detail the answers the wise applicant noticed that particular company asked for and can be easily and cheaply be put into a velo binding which is very professional looking.

Result.... the poor bugga assigned to check your "numbers" has a much easier time and therefore so do you.

It works mates.

BlueWolf
11th Dec 2004, 03:55
Many moons ago I drove trucks for a living (yes I've done plenty). In them days it wasn't uncommon for truckies to work 100 hours a week.

This came to be regarded as unsafe, so Nanny State decreed that drivers should be limited to 70 hours duty time per week, and keep logbooks to prove it.

Straight away, many drivers began running two logbooks, and driving 120 hours a week.

How much of that goes on in aviation, I wonder?

poorwanderingwun
11th Dec 2004, 05:37
Losing log books is really not that much of a crisis....I've lost them on two occasions....once when a large yacht caught fire in the middle of the Mediterranean at night....we spent all our available time fighting the fire and had no time to save any personal items before getting into the life-raft.....the second occasion was when I had my flight-case stolen. I understand that the CAA accept a sworn notarised staement regarding hours though I never did this.....If anyone wants confirmation of my hours they can check with the companies I've flown for....the loss was far more a personal one as my logs are more like diaries than simple log-books....I gladly would have paid the guy who stole my case a few hundred pounds for the return of the log-book....fortunately I only had one of them in there....

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Dec 2004, 06:07
Lost (stolen along with luggage) mine a few years back and managed to catch up most of the hours except for about 500 odd that were pencilled in the back due to flight/duty limitations exceeded flying relief in a warzone.

Cornholeeo
11th Dec 2004, 06:45
What's a "log-book"??? :confused:

Can we get back to talking about earth-shatteringly important non-aviation related things like, but not limited to:

Davaar's Law
Tights or Stockings
Mamma trees ????
pprune nerding and fertility
Blue lights on trucks
etc etc.....

Anyone would think this was a pilot's website...... :rolleyes:

:*

:hmm:

:zzz: