PDA

View Full Version : What can/can't do with FAA licence

nouseforaname
10th Dec 2004, 09:18
Hi,

I am seriously considering doing an FAA helicopter licence. As far as I know you can just do it as an add on to a fixwing licence. I hear it's 30hrs and just 1 exam. But does anyone know what I can or can't do when I come home (to England) with this licence? Does the helicopter have to be on an 'N' reg.? I don't want to have to convert my licence but maybe I will have to? or Not?

thanks for your help.

Heliplane
10th Dec 2004, 13:52
Hi,

I went to the US a few years ago to add a helicopter rating onto my existing fixed wing license - hopefully my experience will be of some use to you.

Previously, I held an FAA commercial airplane single/multi engine license (with flight instructor ratings) and found it very easy to fly in the UK. The CAA will allow an FAA licensed pilot to fly in a G-reg aircraft as long as it is day VFR and you remain within UK airspace. More importantly, every flying club or flight school from which I rented aeroplanes was very happy to rent to me on the basis of my FAA license and a standard checkout. I did subsequently convert to a JAA PPL as I wanted the flexibility to fly G-reg aircraft to France etc.

While researching the options for learning to fly helicopters, I looked at schools in both the UK and the US, with the main difference being price (GBP 250/hr for an R22 versus USD 200/hr). Also, with the benefit my fixed wing licenses, the FAA hourly requirements were about 30hrs and no written test was required. Moreover, the CAA confirmed to me that I would legally be able to fly a G-reg helicopter on an FAA helicopter license during day/VFR conditions and within UK airspace (same as with fixed wing).

More importantly, however, I asked a few helicopter schools near London whether they would rent an R22 to me (solo) on the basis of a US license and the answer was a consistent NO! As opposed to aeroplanes, one can do a lot more damage a lot faster in a helicopter and the schools here (quite rightly) are a lot stricter about self fly hire than fixed wing schools/clubs. Accordingly, I knew that I would have to convert the license to JAA to self fly hire.

Despite this, I went to Florida and did a very quick 3 week helicopter add-on before coming straight back to the UK. I immediately went to a helicopter school near London for a conversion, had an evaluation flight with the chief pilot, took the requisite two written exams (this was reduced from the usual 7-8 exams as I already had a JAA PPL) and took/passed the skills test on my next flight.

With hindsight, although I saved a lot of money by training in the US and doing a quick conversion back here, I would consider doing the training differently for the following reasons:

1) The maintenance of the helicopters seems far superior here. I have developed an incredible amount of respect for these machines (especially having flown fixed wings) and anything short of impeccable maintenance is tempting fate too much for my liking. The helicopters that I flew in Florida were very tired and I would not be surprised if a few corners were cut. On the other hand, I have been very impressed with what I have seen here.

2) Instruction: I have done a lot of instruction since returning to the UK and have found the instructors here to be much more experienced and capable. The curriculum here is much more comprehensive and, in my opinion, produces a much better pilot. In the US, I was never taught to land following an autorotation nor was I taught how to handle tail rotor failures, stuck pedals/levers etc (it did not form part of the FAA practical test standards).

3) The training environment in Florida is better for training, especially where the weather is concerned. If you are looking to do a very quick rating, this could be a positive factor for going there.

4) There are a few places that offer JAA helicopter training in the US. I do not know much about them but they would probably be worth some investigation. It could save some time/expense in the UK.

5) The stricter US visa/TSA requirements add a bit of hassle factor. Any good school should be able to arrange this for you but it does seem a bit onerous.

If you do take the FAA route, I'd suggest checking with your local helicopter operator (with whom you are most likely to fly on your return) as to what they would require before you could hire from them. I'd also look for a school with older/more experienced instructors and on-site maintenance. Don't be attracted by low prices - you really pay for what you get and it is well worth paying a bit extra for better maintenance/training.

I'd be happy to give you a few recommendations on both sides of the Atlantic. Send me a private message and I'll let you know.

Lastly, I'd definitely recommend getting the license. Having flown fixed wing for the last 15 years, this was a wonderfully new challenge and much more rewarding than I could have ever imagined.

Good luck with the decision!

chopperpilot47
10th Dec 2004, 20:06
A few comments on what has been said. The reluctance of UK clubs and schools to hire helicopters to FAA licence holders has usually nothing to do with any question of competance. Schools frequently say you cannot fly on an FAA licence. This is nonsence of course, have a look at the CAA website at www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/faq.asp?faqid=208 this site makes it clear that flying G registered as well as N registered aircraft and helicopters, both day and night is permitted.

Many people agree that the FAA rotorcraft checkride is more difficult than the CAA or JAA one. After all there are 30,000 rotorcraft pilots in the USA with a better safety record so they must be doing something right.

I think Heliplane was unfortunate in his choice of school in Florida. We teach full touchdown autorotations, stuck pedals, tail rotor failure etc to all of our students. Any school that does not do so is failing the student.

Maintenance is something that cannot be subject to shortcuts. Our maintenance is something we pay a great deal of money for to organisations with a great deal of expertise. After all, most of the helicopters we fly were made here. As I have said, I think Heliplane was unfortunate with his choice of school. Choose carefully, ask for references, talk to previous students and you should be fine.

Regards,

Chopperpilot 47

Heliplane
11th Dec 2004, 12:30
I would agree with Chopperpilot 47's remarks - I know that there are much better schools around the US and I know of others who have had much better experiences (with training and maintenance).

However, the practical point that I would emphasise is that although it may be legal for you to command a G-reg helicopter on a US license, check carefully that the school from which you plan to rent is willing to let you loose without a JAA license. I was told it was due to insurance restrictions but at the end of the day it is their decision.

Geoffersincornwall
11th Dec 2004, 16:00
Always wise when making comparisons to make sure you are comparing apples with apples etc etc. In a land where you can suffer a single engine failure in a Bo 105, not be able to maintain height (cos you are above the weight required for safe single engine flight), ditch successfully, everyone gets out OK but the aircraft is a total loss AND NOT CALL IT AN ACCIDENT..... then be careful when comparing safety records. The FAA do not classify such events as ACCIDENTS. The NTSB cannot therefore get their hands on the investigation

So that's all right then!!!!:ok:

Lightning_Boy
11th Dec 2004, 17:02
I did a FAA PPL and had no problem SFH with a local flying school, just did a 1 hour checkout with them, which you would have to do even if you had a JAA PPL if you training was done at another school.