PDA

View Full Version : My laptop keeps running in safe mode using win98SE

Jinkster
9th Dec 2004, 20:15
Everytime my laptop boots up it comes up with a black screen and grey writing saying, safe mode, normal mode etc

if i try normal mode it doesnt boot, if i use the safe mode it boots with smaller screen and horrible colours.

jinkster

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Dec 2004, 01:58
jinkster,

There is a corrupted Driver or System File that is probably causing this.

From Safe Mode you could try uninstalling your Video Driver and see if you can boot into Normal Mode, then you can download new Drivers for the Notebook.

Take Care,

Richard

E-Liam
10th Dec 2004, 06:26
Hi Jinkster,

If Richard's suggestion doesn't work, have you got a start up disk (floppy) to hand. You can copy across the boot up data from the disk. It only takes a minute or two, and involves writing one line in the DOS prompt.

Insert Boot Disk, start up the computer and choose option 3 (IIRC) to OPen Command Prompt with CD ROM support. Then when you get to the DOS prompt.. which looks like this..

A:\>

just type in the following line..

SYS C:

and press enter (there is a space between SYS & C:. THis will load up the boot information from the floppy to the hard drive. You will lose no information on the HD. It just repairs the Master Boot Record. Once it's done it's thing, ( a few seconds or so) remove the floppy disc, and reboot the computer.

BTW, safe mode always looks horrible, as it uses the absolute minimum of resources to run. No fancy graphics etc... :)

Jinkster
10th Dec 2004, 21:29
Played around with the laptop before reading pprune again. Scanned the HD to fix the errors and its boots up normal!

All running well again, thanks for the help.

Jinkster

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Dec 2004, 21:50
Jinkster,

Glad to hear you are all set. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

Capn Notarious
14th Dec 2004, 15:23
Nothing to do with the thread except to type a thanks to Richard at N A Centre. Happy Christmas all.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Dec 2004, 15:20
Capn Notarious,

Always glad to help and you have a very Merry Christmas too.

Richard