PDA

View Full Version : Dead PC, help please

ohitsmonday
9th Dec 2004, 09:47
I was using my PC the other day when it just died and would not restart. Hadn’t noticed previously due to having a cold, but there was a whiff of electrical overheat/burning in the air and had been for some time. First thought was the PSU, which was replaced but made no difference. Messed about with the on/off switch, bypassed it but still no joy. The machine appears completely dead - there is no response at all when powered up.

My technical expertise (or lack of it) is now exhausted. I suspect knackered motherboard and /or CPU, but anyone wiser than I out there have any pearls of wisdom?

Any help gratefully received

Thanks

Spec
Athlon 1400+
Gigabyte 7DXR-??? Motherboard
XP pro (SP2)

Other details can be provided if required when I get home.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Dec 2004, 12:31
ohitsmonday,

That is the old AMD 761 chipset. I would try opening the case and checking that the AGP, all PCI Cards, and RAM are fully seated.

If you see a lot of dust inside the case, it would be worth blowing out the inside of the case with compressed air.

If the comp still will not boot, I would try removing the Power Cord from the Power Supply and the Battery from the Mobo. Wait a good 15 to 20 minutes before putting them back in.

Take Care,

Richard

ohitsmonday
9th Dec 2004, 20:34
Richard
Thanks for the response, tried all of your suggestions but I still have a dead machine.

Foodbomber
9th Dec 2004, 22:04
Had a similar problem with a friends machine recently, and even swapped the power supply over, and still nothing. Removed the power lead for about two minutes, replaced the power lead, and with the lid off, checked to see if the cpu fan 'twitched' when the power switch pushed. It twitched, but then noticed a power transistor had blown a leg off itself, and pitting in the transistor where it had burnt out, causing the pong.

I usually find power supplies are easy failures, so try to see if the cpu fan twitches or not when powering up. Have a close look at the motherboard for any signs of overheating. You may be lucky and its just a psu.

cheers

Koyo
10th Dec 2004, 01:19
Check your motherboard more carefully. My friend also had a Gigabite motherboard and 2 of the capacitors are completely blown. Be glad that it didn't start a fire.

ohitsmonday
11th Dec 2004, 20:15
Thanks forthe help, but nothing worked. Typing this using my new motherboard and shiny 64 bit athlon.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Dec 2004, 11:54
ohitsmonday,

I guess the old Gigabyte has gone to PC Heaven. RIP. :(

As for the Athlon64, I am running one two, they rock! Enjoy your new comp. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. With the age of the old Gigabyte, it was not worth spending any money to fix it since it was so out of date. ;)