PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue bides its time

Wirraway
9th Dec 2004, 04:44
Thurs "The Standard" (Hong Kong)

Virgin Blue bides its time
Danny Chung
09-12-04

Virgin Blue, the low-cost Australian affiliate of Richard Branson's Virgin Atlantic Airways, has held talks with a number of Asian airlines about a tie-up that would give it entree to the Southeast Asian market, but no deal is imminent, Virgin Atlantic officials said.

"Virgin Blue are in discussions with a number of different airlines about broadening their horizons, maybe taking a stake in some other Far Eastern airlines,'' Virgin Atlantic chairman Branson said. Yet "it could be awhile before we know anything further'', Virgin Blue head of strategy and communication David Huttner said.

After China and Macau signed an aviation accord that will allow a second Macau-based carrier to serve the mainland market, there had been widespread speculation that Virgin would move quickly to seize the opportunity.

Virgin officials stressed that while the gambling mecca is clearly an interesting option, they are not exclusively focused on it.

"We're looking at different opportunities in Asia,'' Huttner said. "One of those opportunities is certainly in Macau but it is not the only thing we're looking at in Asia.''

He said a variety of issues concerned with launching a new carrier needed to be ironed out first, including choosing destinations and airports and picking suppliers of planes and equipment.

"We'll only finalise and make an announcement when all the right things come into place,'' Huttner said. "We're getting there slowly but you never know for sure if it is going to get there.''

"If you look at what Jetstar did, Jetstar announced an airline before they had all the critical elements in place and I don't think we want to take that same strategy,'' he added.

Jetstar, which is 49 per cent owned by Virgin Blue's main competitor Qantas, is offering discounted service in the region.

9 December 2004

===========================================

Johhny Utah
9th Dec 2004, 05:24
More than just a little hypocritical (unsurprisingly)...:rolleyes:
"If you look at what Jetstar did, Jetstar announced an airline before they had all the critical elements in place and I don't think we want to take that same strategy,'' he added. Perhaps they can remember back to when they first sold seats on flights before they had even finalised CASA approvals, only to end up with egg on their collective faces when they didn't make the regulatory deadline...? :{ Then again, probably not...:rolleyes:

Perhaps BG should hark back to this interview he did with the ABC

Virgin Blue delayed by red tape (http://www.abc.net.au/pm/stories/s154691.htm)

PM Archive - Friday, 21 July , 2000 00:00:00
Reporter: Kirsten Aiken

"Sir Richard Branson's new airline is already refunding passenger tickets even before it taxi's for its maiden flight.

Virgin Blue's admitted it won't be able to obtain it's Air Operator's Certificate before its scheduled take-off on August the 3rd. The result - an indefinitely delayed launch date.

It's a big setback for the no frills operations which has repeatedly denied that it will go the way of Compass in Australia's intensively competitive aviation industry.

Kirsten Aiken in Brisbane.

KIRSTEN AIKEN: It wasn't even two weeks' ago when Virgin Blue announced its scheduled take-off date in a flashy spectacle designed to show it planned to turn the domestic aviation industry upside down.

Today Virgin Blue's Chief Executive, Brett Godfrey, has been trying to sound upbeat after cancelling flights, suspending sales and preparing refunds.

BRETT GODFREY: Hi, I'm here. And thanks everyone for coming.

KIRSTEN AIKEN: Virgin Blue doesn't know how long it'll be stranded on the tarmac. At issue is its mandatory Air Operator's Certificate. The Civil Aviation Safety Authority won't issue that until it's satisfied Virgin Blue meets its standards. But Godfrey found out last night CASA has some concerns but denies the problems are insurmountable.

BRETT GODFREY: Look, these things happen. This is not anything other than we've got some manuals that CASA are not happy with and if they're not happy with it, we acknowledge that we have to complete the process to their satisfaction which are very exacting and high standards, and we'll comply with that.

KIRSTEN AIKEN: Peter Gibson from CASA believes Virgin Blue tried to earn its wings too quickly.

..."

TIMMEEEE
10th Dec 2004, 20:04
Interesting that Impulse didnt have the same regulatory problems that VB did.

It pains me to say it but at least they had the nouse to hire retired professionals from CASA so that this specific problem wouldnt occur.

Just one of the many areas where Brett Godfrey's incompetence has shone through.

I dare say if it wasnt for Chris Corrigans' ability that VB would be in a worse position than it is now.

wirgin blew
12th Dec 2004, 06:00
And here we are four years later and VB has 50 aircraft and a few thousand employees, floated on the ASX and is reaching into the Pacific.

Just one of the many areas where Brett Godfrey's incompetence has shone through.

I wish I was that incompetent.

TIMMEEEEE
12th Dec 2004, 10:13
actually after reading through the facts again I must say I agree with you wirgin blew.
I have been slagging Virgin for too long and thinks its time to admit I was wrong and be a bigger man.

Creating 3000 odd jobs is a pretty good effort, especially when you see Qantas management taking more and more jobs overseas. (FA's to london, Jetconnect with Tech crew) and now implulse to undercut the entire domestic structure.

I think Branson has done a bloody good job.
Its also good to see also a world class full service carrier finally entering the Kanga Route! Good on ya Atlantic :ok:

Dehavillanddriver
12th Dec 2004, 11:42
Timmee

You are going against the natural order of things with your last post.

Whats next - cats and dogs sleeping together, Dick Smith telling us that Professional pilots and ATC's are good blokes, Costello telling us to retire early and give us all a state funded pension.

I tell you it just aint natural!

t_cas
12th Dec 2004, 22:40
It is interesting to note that not much is being said about the movement of jobs offshore by Virgin Blue. Initially NZ and the Trans Tasman was to be served by the Pacific Blue set up. Now we see them operating the Pacific Island routes that originate in Australia! Lets see how much further Virgin Blue take this little baby. If only the public were more aware of the fact that they were indeed flying on a New Zealand based Airline ie. Pacific Blue (NZ). Watch this space.;)

propaganda
13th Dec 2004, 14:22
t_cas,

Your point is what ?.....Pacific Blue being a NZ airline or something more sinister ?....

TIMMEEEE
19th Dec 2004, 00:15
Timmeeeee (5 e's)

Looks like the jig is up pal for attempting to masquerade as myself and contradicting me. (Timmeeee with 4 e's).

PPrUne Towers saw through your little scam.
Also we believe Brisbane is your place of residency rather than Perth??

Also Timmeeeee (5 e's - the impersonator) - wouldnt you call British Airways/Thai/Cathay or Singapore Airlines a full service carrier????

Me thinks you need your head read and a dose of reality judging by your feeble attempts and postings.

Bye now Timmeeeee.

The_Cutest_of_Borg
19th Dec 2004, 00:32
Roflmao..

Looks like the cats and dogs have returned to their own species... in the way nature intended!

He had me fooled....:)

ratpoison
19th Dec 2004, 04:20
I thinks we have toooo many TIMMEEEEEEEEEEE'SSSSS

HotDog
19th Dec 2004, 06:54
Right! What we need is a bigger dose of rat poison.:yuk: