PDA

View Full Version : Abuse in your Job!!!

bartelby
8th Dec 2004, 21:21
Just interested

What the worse case of abuse you have been subject to or seen in your operations.

Recently I have seen a fleet manager rip into a collegue for something he had no control over. Who do these people think thay are? Does the qualification of being a pilot give you this right? What would happen if my collegue had chinned him? I for one do not think we are payed enough in this industry to take any sort of abuse....

Any Thoughts :*

VIKING9
9th Dec 2004, 06:44
Nobody has the right to abuse anyone, regardless of rank or status. I have seen more signs of verbal abuse at work in the last 18 months than I have in my whole working life and when someone raised an issue, they got told....... "like it or lump it" basically.

I've seen professionals reduced virtually down to nothing with their careers almost in tatters but they saw the light, escaped and picked themselves up again.

I'm no longer in that company and already have noticed a 100% improvement in my working conditions for which I'm grateful.

Tyrants have no right to be in the work place and personally, I think it's high time something was done about it. Bullying at school has again become an issue, so why not someone take a look at industry.

No need to name the company as there are already threads running about the company and it's pilots/unions...........work it out yourself.

Flip Flop Flyer
9th Dec 2004, 13:49
In a previous life, working as a red cap in CPH, I did run into the occasional chip-on-the-shoulder skipper who thought he was god. Always a he, and nearly always from one of the countries bordering the Med. Either that or Lufthansa.

First trick is to tell him, ever so politely of course, to **** off and let you do your job. If he refuses, then leave the flight and tell your manager that due to whatever reason (safety always a winner) you are unable to complete your assignment. Second trick is to file your complaint before he gets a chance, just to cover your backside. I've only had to do that once, walking away and writing up a report that is, due to an absolute pr1ck of a TAP skipper. I won't dwell too much on details, but he got on everyone's nerves from loading over fuelling to catering, pax service and weight & balance - treating all staff as if they were incompetent children. His CRM skills were somewhere between naught and f.all. He almost got lamped by a particularly big hairy scandihoovian belly rat who really didn't fancy being d1cked around by this self-proclaimed skygod. I actually had to interfere; had I not been there the skipper would have been down for the 10 count right quick.

As luck would have it, 99.9% of all crew are nice and professional to work with, and I'm sure the same can be said of dispatchers. It's the odd .5% that tend to ruin things, and I can tell you 1000 stories about kind, professional, helpful, cheerful crew who more often than not made my day for every bad story I have.

Never had the misfortune to work for a real despot of a boss. If it was to happen, I'd rather walk away than be miserable about going to work everyday. Better to flop burgers for a nice boss than dispatch aeroplanes for a certifiable w@nker!

VIKING9
9th Dec 2004, 17:17
flip flop flyer

Never had the misfortune to work for a real despot of a boss

Go and try our friends from across the Irish sea :rolleyes:

Flip Flop Flyer
10th Dec 2004, 08:56
Viking,

I'd rather not if you don't mind :yuk:

In fact, would rather lobotomize myself than revert to pax operations. On my way to Bahrain for 3 months as acting Airside Duty Manager. Freight only :ok:

VIKING9
10th Dec 2004, 09:22
well at least the bar will be open !! Nice one...:ok:

FireFoxDown
14th Dec 2004, 14:15
Hey Viking9,

which AO this side of the sea? ive only worked for one and so far so good! :ok: Are we talking about Mr. MOL? ;)

Leezyjet
14th Dec 2004, 22:49
Why do some pilots think it's their god given right to interfere in YOUR turnround and tell you what to do and how to do it ?.

It's YOUR a/c when its on the gate not theirs. It's their's when the doors are closed and they are on their way.

How would they like it if you went into the flight deck and started telling them how to do their jobs ?. "speed up a bit", "I don't think you lowered the gear early enough" " I didn't like the way you executed that turn" yada yada yada.......

They forget that you are working at that airport day in day out and know the way things work and the best way to get things done, and also have to see the same people day in day out so can't just go throwing your weight around like they try to do.

They should stay in that ivory tower and concentrate on their own jobs before telling other how to do theirs.

:rolleyes:

VIKING9
15th Dec 2004, 07:33
It's not just pilots who throw the abuse though is it ?

FireFoxDown work it out yourself.....:zzz:

Flip Flop Flyer
15th Dec 2004, 14:31
Well, it's written in the JAR's that "The commander shall supervise the ground handling" or words to the same effect. In reality, the responsibility has been delegated to red caps, but fact remains that the skipper can, and may, interfere if he or she sees fit to do so. However, only a skipper with severe chips on his shoulders would ever interfere if the operation is going as per SOP. But there are of course the few, very few, who think they are god. Belive it or not, but there's also red caps/dispatchers who suffer from the same dillusions.

It's not your aircraft, nor is it the skippers, rather it belongs to the airline whether on the ground or in the air.

LuckandNeat
9th Jan 2005, 20:40
All you have to do is take the abuse, then report them to the aurthorities and take it further ... :(

Or you can do what I do and rip back into them ! I cant help myself somtimes, where I work its full of Captain Invincibles from management to groundcrew and pilots but boy do I love a good ripping.

Or someitmes I just let them rip and stand back and laugh my nuts off at them coz some of them are real funny to look at when they go into one !

Never a dull moment ! :ouch:

Remember, Dont take S**t from no one !

Who the hell do they think they are ! :ok:

Leezyjet
10th Jan 2005, 00:36
FFF,

No airline I've ever worked for has let us have access to the JAR Ops manual.

Agreed it is the airlines a/c, but some skippers think it's their own.

:)