PDA

View Full Version : Abu Dhabi Schooling

L J R
8th Dec 2004, 18:00
I know the issue of schooling in UAE has been raised before, and Internet Search Engines point you in basically the right way, BUT, has anyone got any recent experience with English Speaking schools (Early Primary - Yr 2-3 & Early High School - Yr 7-8) in Abu Dhabi.

Can anyone outline the cost & perceived availability. The only one I can so far determine is the US school apparently sponsored by the State Dept. Am interested in US and UK curricular.

Furthermore, how is the housing 'standard'. Also further advice on current conditions in Abu Dhabi. Any relevant links or pm would assist.

Have experienced in lifestyle in Kuwait, Qatar, Cyprus (& Iraq!), so basically aware of good and bad - or extreme!!

Any info is on all aspects of family life there is appreciated. Also cost of living compared to UK - including basics, such as 'reliable car' purchase.

Job there soon - - possibly.... Yet to fully ascertain company allowances to support family......

Thanks in advance.

StressFree
8th Dec 2004, 19:18
LJR,
Check your private messages..........

:cool:

leekmas
10th Dec 2004, 05:45
StressFree & LJR,

If you have the information available, can you pass it on too, pls. I'm making the move to Abu Dhabi soon with similar family status and I'd appreciate a rundown on what's available.

AirNoServicesAustralia
11th Dec 2004, 08:18
Dunno what has been passed by PM, but basically there are 3 schools that are predominantly used by the Western English speaking expats.

Firstly there is Al Khubairat British School, that follows the British Curriculum with all British teachers. The majority of Australian Expats go to this school because it is similair to the Australian system.

Then there is the American Community School, where the kids don't wear uniforms, and it follows the Yank system of education. The facilities there are pretty amazing, but it is the most expensive of the 3 schools.

Finally there is the American International School. The school is segregated into a boys school, and a girls school, and they wear school uniforms. Most of the teachers are Canadian, and it is quite a bit cheaper than ACS, and I think a little cheaper than the British school.

Bottom line from personal experience, and talking to other parents, is that all 3 schools provide a good quality education, it's just they each have a different slant on it. I hope this helps.

As far as accomodation goes.... bloody expensive. I hope you get an allowance of 80,000 AED ++++ cos anything less than that and you will be in a highrise flat.

StressFree
11th Dec 2004, 15:56
"housing allowance of AED 80,000+......"

Believe me you'll need FAR more than that to get a decent family house, in fact you could do with about double that amount at least............

:cool:

AirNoServicesAustralia
12th Dec 2004, 02:26
I agree with you Uranus. I am saying with 80,000 as an absolute minimum, you can get an older villa, out of town (but still on the island), with old individual A/C units (that will cost a fortune to run). I wouldn't say double though. 110-120,000 and you will get a nice modern villa (not a family home in the Australian sense but a nice villa nonetheless), but you will then need to spend another 20,000 AED a year paying the utilities.

For 65,000 AED a year you can get a nice 3BR apartment in one of the highrise buildings.

jaadu
14th Dec 2004, 18:04
Housing allowance seems to be a tool for subsidising the local landlord!!!!!!!!!