PDA

View Full Version : AC,WJA,Canjet, Jetsgo

asiadude
8th Dec 2004, 17:09
HI All,
I'm new to the boards here and I'm looking for any info about working conditions at the airlines in Canada. I am a Canadian who has been living overseas for a number of years and I'm out of the loop! Obviously I'm interested in returning home to work, my job in asia is soon finished. Who's hiring and expanding? I'm interested in living somewhere in the east, do all the companies have bases out east??
I know this is very general, but any info would be appreciated. BTW, I have read the thread about Jetsgo so I guess I'm really wondering about the other carriers.
Thanks

Rosbif
8th Dec 2004, 17:48
Things are beginning to look up (slowly), but you should look into the security pass situation before you leave your old job.

It's been done to death, so use the search function.

What sort of job are you looking for? Would Caravans/Navajo suit you, or are you looking for a jet job.? What are you rated on?

SAW
9th Dec 2004, 16:34
www.westjet.com, checkout the careers centre. Overall a good company to work for. Good people great schedule and excellent equipment. Lots of charter routes to keep things interesting. There is alot of potenial. If you want any other info send me a pm.

Cheers

mymymy
9th Dec 2004, 19:52
For Westjet, try www.westjet.com

For AC, try http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/career/frame/careers.html

hope this helps

3m

Slapshot
9th Dec 2004, 20:27
"...you should look into the security pass situation before you leave your old job."

If you are in posession of a security pass from an ICAO member state and can adequately account for your employment and past residence, there is no problem with getting a "Red" pass in Canada.

The problems you allude too are in reference to the guys flying in "offstrip" conditions. Namely parts of Africa without security or terminal access.

Cheers.

dartman
13th Dec 2004, 20:23
www.cathaypacific.com
follow the link to careers. Ask for a NYC base and you can live anywhere you want. Only my opinion, but the best job currently available in Canada.

rotornut
13th Dec 2004, 20:35
Jetsgo is conspicuously absent. If you must (if you haven't already) you can go to the adjacent thread on this company but it's gone downhill :mad:

Penske
14th Dec 2004, 16:19
I agree with Dartman.

I spent 24 years flying for various Canadian companies and am now with Cathay.

Cathay offers a combination of career potential and lifestyle options that you will not find as a new-hire at any Canadian company.

If you join as a second officer, you will need to move to Hong Kong for a few years but if your desire is to eventually reside in Canada and have a rewarding and challenging career, Cathay is a fantastic choice.

Good luck!

lead zeppelin
16th Dec 2004, 20:57
Also try Harmony Airways.

http://www.harmonyairways.com/index.shtml

:ok:

rotornut
16th Dec 2004, 23:48
Upstart Harmony eyes Chinese market

Wants a Vancouver-Macau route by 2006

By PETER KENNEDY

UPDATED AT 7:46 PM EST Thursday, Dec 16, 2004

VANCOUVER -- Harmony Airways, the upstart airliner headed by Vancouver entrepreneur David Ho, is gearing up to use high-profile political connections to enter the Chinese market.

After naming former British Columbia finance minister Gary Collins as its new chief executive officer yesterday, Harmony hopes to be flying passengers between Macau and Vancouver by early 2006.

"The world is getting smaller and people are travelling more," said Mr. Ho during a splashy news conference at the Vancouver airport. "The opportunities down the road are going to be tremendous." A Vancouver entrepreneur with an interest in exotic cars, Mr. Ho is known as Dr. Ho in B.C. after receiving an honorary degree from the University of Richmond in Virginia. His grandfather made his fortune selling cigarettes in China.

A frequent air traveller with extensive business interests in Hong Kong, Mr. Ho launched what was previously known as HMY Airlines two years ago to offer flights from Canada to Las Vegas and Mexico. His initial plan was to fill a void left in the market by the collapse of Canada 3000 Inc., which went bankrupt in November, 2001.

But after recently changing its name to Harmony, the company has expanded its service to include Honolulu, Maui and Toronto.

"We consider ourselves to be a boutique airline that aims to develop routes and services as we see fit for the Vancouver market," said company spokeswoman Marie McDonnell.

Harmony currently uses three leased Boeing 757s, one of which was parked outside the departure lounge that was used to host yesterday's news conference.

But Mr. Ho clearly has much bigger plans, and believes he now has the business and political connections to make them happen.

Now that it has hired Mr. Collins, Harmony is hoping to secure rights to fly to China next year, a move that would require an agreement between China and the Canadian government. It would also put Harmony in a position to compete with major airlines such as Cathay Pacific and Air Canada.

Mr. Collins, a 41-year-old former commercial pilot, has agreed to take on the job after spending 13 years in politics.

"Flying has always been one of my major passions," said Mr. Collins, who recently helped political ally B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell balance the provincial books.

If it can secure regulatory approval from Ottawa, Harmony's immediate goal is to fly into regions that are not well served by the North American airline industry.

GLOBEANDMAIL.COM

R8TED THRUST
6th Jan 2005, 02:38
If the East is what you fancy it is my understanding that Canjet is slowly expanding