PDA

View Full Version : Please excuse my ignorance

redmania
8th Dec 2004, 07:41
What would I need to get in the right hand seat of a Jet in the UK?

Would this be sufficient?

FAA Private Pilots Licence

FAA Instrument Rating

JAA Commercial Pilots Licence

JAA Instrument Rating

JAA Multi Engine Rating

JAA Frozen Airline Transport Pilots Licence

And a type rating and job offer.

GusHoneybun
8th Dec 2004, 08:23
youre ignorance is excused, however, what you're asking is still a little foggy.

to work in europe you can forget about the FAA. you will need a JAA CPL/ME IR and if you don't have over 500 hours multi crew time, you'll need complete an MCC prior to paying for or getting a company to sponsor you through your first type rating. the single most important bit of your list is the last point. once you have a job offer your laughing, until then it's a lottery that most wannabes are also playing.
oh, and the right to live and work in europe as well, but you probably know that already.

a quick point, there is no such thing as a frozen atpl. it is usually used as shorthand for a JAA CPL/ME IR and MCC all completed.

redmania
8th Dec 2004, 08:43
So you do JAA CPL/ME IR and sit all the exams for the ATPL. Is MCC needed?

What are the chances of finding employement with 300 hours? compared to say 500 hours?

Speedbird744
8th Dec 2004, 09:07
You have to think of the quality of those 300 hours instead of merely quantity. The difference between two pilots with 300hrs and 500hrs TT is small, but once you reach 900-1000hrs thats when there starts to be a gap.
Even then, the quality of those hours has to be in question: Was it flying hundreds of hours flying circuits in a C152 VFR or Single pilot IFR in a light twin.

8th Dec 2004, 10:02
MCC is required to start a type rating as well as a valid Multi IR, so yes.

RVR800
8th Dec 2004, 15:53
and a type rating and some more hours are good and some more
multi time and some more cash to pay for the bills during the wait and the line training..and

scientifics
9th Dec 2004, 13:50
Are you better off with 300 hours and TR? Or 1000 hours instructing and no TR?

redbar1
9th Dec 2004, 14:15
Redmania,

If you go for a Single Pilot turbine type (i.e. corporate aviation), you do not need the MCC.

Scientifics,

As a 1000 hrs instructor, at least we know your work has been assessed by someone over time (Head of Trng, Examiners, etc), while your 300 hrs/TR says very little.
.....just my opinion. Sure others see it differently.

Cheers,
Redbar1

MackMeeter
9th Dec 2004, 15:50
Redbar1

Others (i.e. the major carriers in the Uk) certainly do see it differently. I've lost count over the past couple of years of the number of times I was told that instructors don't do quality hours as they spend all of their time blatting around the circuit in a C150...yada yada yada....etc etc etc....

...hang on a minute, I'm being dragged off my soapbox as we speak....:{

scientifics
10th Dec 2004, 08:45
So you are better off with a type rating then?

GusHoneybun
10th Dec 2004, 14:13
redbar1,

you don't need an MCC for any single pilot type rating, even with two turbine donks (twotter, reims caravan, etc). makes sense really can't imagine most punters would be happy to hear their captain chuntering away to themselves "QNH 1012, set, crosschecked" all through the flight.

scientifics

do a search on paying for a type rating and you'll find that there is no answer to you question. personally, i wouldn't pay for a type rating, and if i did i certainly would steer clear of jet type ratings and probably look to a medium TP. however, i have a nice job and someone else payed for the type rating so I have the luxury of being able to make the above statement. wibble.

df1
14th Dec 2004, 13:14
To quote a friend of mine and PPRUNE user "you're only as good as what you're current on!"

Maybe, then, a type rating is of more use than 1000hrs single engine piston VFR? or at least that's my interpretation