PDA

View Full Version : AA to begin flying to Ireland

fescalised portion
8th Dec 2004, 03:26
Continuing its international expansion, American announced today that it will fly nonstop on two key routes between the United States and the Republic of Ireland -- Chicago-Dublin and Boston-Shannon -- starting May 1, 2005.

American said it will fly the Chicago-Dublin service with 211-seat Boeing 767-300 aircraft and will serve Boston-Shannon with 188-seat Boeing 757s. The airline will operate both routes on a daily basis during the peak summer travel season and five days a week the rest of the year.

The addition of Dublin and Shannon to its route network will increase American's overall presence in Europe to 12 destinations in eight countries and will give the airline a total of 280 nonstop flights a week each way across the Atlantic.

With the new flights, American also will be offering fast and efficient cargo service to and from Dublin and Shannon, providing a better supply chain and faster distribution for shippers between the United States and Ireland. American already carries about 10 percent of the air cargo shipments in the U.S.-Ireland market on service through other European cities.

Dublin will become the 24th international destination served by American from its Chicago O'Hare World Gateway hub, and the airline's eighth destination to Europe from Chicago. The others are London Heathrow, Manchester and Glasgow in the United Kingdom; Rome, Italy; Frankfurt, Germany; Brussels, Belgium, and Paris, France.

"We continue to focus on strong and growing international markets as we position American for long-term success under our Turnaround Plan," said Henry C. Joyner, the airline's Senior Vice President of Planning. "Ireland fits our strategy perfectly. Dublin's passenger traffic alone is up about 24 percent over the past five years, and in 2003, more than 900,000 people visited Ireland from the United States."

John O'Donoghue T.D., Ireland's Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism, said, "Ireland offers a premier vacation destination experience for American travelers. The decision by American Airlines will substantially expand the air travel options and choices for U.S. travel consumers wishing to sample the legendary Irish welcome that awaits our American visitors. My colleagues and I in the United States greatly look forward to working with American Airlines to benefit Irish tourism."

At Boston, Shannon will become American's eighth international destination, joining London Heathrow; Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, and Aruba in the Netherlands Antilles, all served year round; and Manchester; Paris; Cancun, Mexico, and Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos, all served seasonally.

American's international presence at Chicago and Boston is enhanced by American Eagle, its regional affiliate, which serves Montreal and Ottawa, Canada, from Chicago; and Toronto and Halifax, Canada (summer weekends only), from Boston.

EINN
8th Dec 2004, 11:30
Interesting! Both those routes are operated by Aer Lingus. A bit of competition

eastern wiseguy
8th Dec 2004, 11:32
Both those routes are operated by Aer Lingus

and iirc they code share on them........are EIN going to do something else with the A330's?

EINN
8th Dec 2004, 11:49
No as far as I know they are both operating aircraft on these routes in direct competition with each other. I'd say they'll end the code share agreement too. Can't see Aer Lingus staying in the alliance much longer regardless of what has been said recently.

CaptJ
8th Dec 2004, 16:17
I'm sure I read that EI wanted to keep up codeshares with its "partners" even if it left Oneworld.

That strategy looks to be in tatters if its "Partners" are going to compete with it.

Oh dear